Options

Prisoner Cell Block H

Comments

• Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    richie4eva wrote: »
    Pentridge was the blokes prison. The woman had a temporary stay there after the Great Fire

Other prison was Barnhurst, to which Vera was governor

But some went to the more secure Blackmoor

I'd forgotten about Blackmoor !

Wasn't there a Woodridge as well ?
  • Options
    robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pentridge was the blokes prison.
    that was mentioned early on..BUT Woodridge was the mens prison they stayed at after the fire and did the concert at.
    A few other prisons got mentions too
    How could anyone forget Blackmoor..especially when Rita got transferred there and she burnt it down!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't like Bea, Lizzy or Doreen! I hate them. I find them both horrible and annoying.

thats how i feel about Lexie, hated her
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What,s Patsy KIng (Erica Davidson) doing nowadays?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jeremyc wrote: »
    What,s Patsy KIng (Erica Davidson) doing nowadays?

She has her own website! :)
    http://patsykingthegoddess.blogspot.com/

2011 reunion video about the show has Patsy in it (toward the end especially) She looks near enough the same.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG3OIJqin3o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How could anyone forget Blackmoor..especially when Rita got transferred there and she burnt it down!

Sorry :( Haven't seen the later episodes for a good few years - I'm only up yo episode 250 !
  • Options
    Forum Member

Personally, I don't like Bea, Lizzy or Doreen! I hate them. I find them both horrible and annoying.

Unusual to find someone who hates all three of the "classic" characters - Doreen is annoying though I'll agree !
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    thats how i feel about Lexie, hated her

I'm a fan of Lexie !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mistygal wrote: »
    lol:D Dexys Midnight Runners(Comon Eileen) fetish revived!

Kevin Rowland doesn't quite do it for me :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unusual to find someone who hates all three of the "classic" characters - Doreen is annoying though I'll agree !

mmmm yeah, its hard for me to understand how anyone can hate Bea and Lizzie,such classic characters. Doreen however is another matter:D She could be ok at times but often she was awful.
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeremyc wrote: »
    When Cell Block H, was shown in Australia, what time was it on?.

The series - proper title "Prisoner", was shown in Melbourne (where it was produced) starting at 8.30 pm through most of its entire run. For about 6 months - the first half of 1981 - it was shown at 7.30 pm.

Other regions of Australia might have shown it at other times, but I expect 8.30 pm would have been pretty standard for most regions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8.30pm..then for a while it was 8pm i think..but may have gone back to 8.30pm..still don't know how it was shown before 9pm..maybe "watershed" didn't exist then?

and here is an original promo to prove it
    http://youtu.be/vL_zx_cmxiE

The concept of "watershed" (to use the UK term) does exist in Australia. In the 1980s at the time "Prisoner" was screening programs rated "Adults Only" (AO) as "Prisoner" was, could be shown starting 8.30 pm in Australia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mistygal wrote: »
    What was the name of the blokes prison?
    Plus the other prison,which Wentworth inmates used to get transferred to?

In the early years of "Prisoner" they would speak of the real life Melbourne men's prison Pentridge. Sandy Edwards' husband was said to be serving there.

Strating 1982 or so they had a few stories actually set in the men's prison, from which point it was named as "Woodridge".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the character Erica left as they wanted an actress who could deal with more personal storylines with tougher subjects to deal with..Coral Drouyn has said this on facebook..and she was a writer for the show

Yes I seem to recall reading this too-the character of Erica was written out of the series, it wasn't the actor's decision to leave. This was never made public at the time it originally happened though. Erica had had a few personal storylines and if you watch the episodes you can see there wasn't much more she could do. She was divorced but had no children. They had already done a romance story with her character, but as she was 'married' to the job, the union fizzled. Where else could they go with her?

Ann, played by Gerda Nicolson, was a more realistic character with subtler tones, so worked well in a range of personal storylines. They gave her two adult children, so that gave her further angles too. Nicolson was a superb actor, however I must say I did prefer the more camp character of Erica, personally!

During the 12 months after Erica 'resigned' as governor of Wentworth she returned a few times, now employed by the 'Department'. Later it was said she had resigned, which happened off camera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just thinking of my favourite line from Prisoner. It was by Nola Mckenzie to Lizzie who she always referred to as "Wrinkles"

"You've got wrinkles on your wrinkles, Wrinkles" :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where have I been to not have noticed this thread? I lovvvvvvve this show, it is my favourite programme of all time, I thought this would have been in the Soap section.

I love is show, favourite character is Chrissie Latham!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pentridge was the blokes prison. The woman had a temporary stay there after the Great Fire

Other prison was Barnhurst, to which Vera was governor

But some went to the more secure Blackmoor

Nope that was Woodridge that the women stayed in after the fire. Pent ridge was where Fletch came from.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Really ? :p
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really ? :p

Mine's Lou Kelly

Yes, really :p
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member

I'm a fan of Lexie !

Lizzie is my favourite character - Doreen should've been killed in the panto tunnel escape instead of "Irene" who no-one knew.
    it would've been a better ending for her (and us!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Lizzie is my favourite character - Doreen should've been killed in the panto tunnel escape instead of "Irene" who no-one knew.
    it would've been a better ending for her (and us!)

I agree with this - the more I see of Doreen the more annoying she becomes !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was gutted when Chrissie left, always lived in hope that one day she would come back.
  • Options
    OK Then!!!OK Then!!! Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lizzie was warm, friendly n hilarious. brill comic character.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beatrice Alice Smith has always been my favourite prisoner. Helen Smart was great too.

The Freak being my favourite screw. Followed closely by good old Po Face. :)

Talking about sudden departures, what ever happened to Jean Vernon? Did we ever get an answer to her departure?
  • Options
    a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very funny alternative look at PCBH

http://youtu.be/zURfy4qSrNE
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Was gutted when Chrissie left, always lived in hope that one day she would come back.

Yeah a few more return stints would've been excellent - trying to seduce Len Murphy, stirring in between Kath and Rita. I do like her final scene though - kicking and screaming dragged to the car.