Options

Phrases or words that really annoy you?!!

1252627282931»

Comments

• Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    It's a big egg timer. The principle is the same. To be fair, no-one uses them any more, anyway.
    What, for boiling big eggs? :p Obviously no-one uses hourglasses any more but 3-minute egg timers are still quite popular.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    What, for boiling big eggs? :p

Ostrich eggs, obviously.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    Ostrich eggs, obviously.:cool:
    By Jove, you're right! :eek: :D

"To soft boil a fresh egg would take one hour. To hard boil would take 1 1/2 hours."
  • Options
    Maelstrom..KMaelstrom..K Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    to boil eggs for salads, it doesn't matter how long they are boiling for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    especially if it an 'oeuf'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to boil eggs for salads, it doesn't matter how long they are boiling for.
    Umm.. I think it does. That silvery-gray colour around the outside of the yolk of an overcooked egg isn't very attractive and the texture becomes rubbery. That's why people rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process. Try boiling a chicken egg for an hour and see if you still think you can't overcook an egg. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Umm.. I think it does. That silvery-gray colour around the outside of the yolk of an overcooked egg isn't very attractive and the texture becomes rubbery. That's why people rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process. Try boiling a chicken egg for an hour and see if you still think you can't overcook an egg. :)

life isn't all about aesthetics my friend. Anyway my mum leaves eggs on the boil forever. Never made any difference to the taste of my salad
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    life isn't all about aesthetics my friend. Anyway my mum leaves eggs on the boil forever. Never made any difference to the taste of my salad
    The discolouration isn't all about aesthetics either, it's an iron sulfide compound caused by breaking down the nutrients in the egg, so the egg is less nutritious and slightly metallic tasting. But if you don't mind unsightly food that tastes funny, has a rubbery texture and lower nutritional value fill your boots! :D

My mother used to boil her greens until they were more like whites and were almost entirely devoid of soluble vitamins. She simply didn't know any better, but that doesn't make it right. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The discolouration isn't all about aesthetics either, it's an iron sulfide compound caused by breaking down the nutrients in the egg, so the egg is less nutritious and slightly metallic tasting. But if you don't mind unsightly food that tastes funny, has a rubbery texture and lower nutritional value fill your boots! :D

My mother used to boil her greens until they were more like whites and were almost entirely devoid of soluble vitamins. She simply didn't know any better, but that doesn't make it right. :)

You have dodgy greens, I have dodgy whites. Lets leave it at that:cool:
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    edited 06/12/20 - 22:40 #761
  • Options
    BernieBassBernieBass Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "And if you have any questions, just go and see your doctor."