Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
Forum Member
I think he'd still be Prime Minister.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    No. He knew the economy was going to tank so gladly handed the reigns over to Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18 years is far too long

Politicians generally lose popularity after around 6-7 years regardless of the circumstances.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    No. He knew the economy was going to tank so gladly handed the reigns over to Gordon Brown.

He must have had a hotline to Septic Peg then.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bliar made his money, built up his connections and ensured he was made for life then scarpered. A total coward.

I hope I live to see Bliar held to account for everything he did and every lie he told.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if a PM invades for a good reason, Thatcher for example, the boost only lasts so long.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »
    He must have had a hotline to Septic Peg then.

Are you kidding me? Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together could see the credit boom was going to come to an end at some point.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We wouldn't be worried about young women buggering off to Iraq or men chopping people's heads off.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

• Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you kidding me? Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together could see the credit boom was going to come to an end at some point.

Indeed.

Just like it is today.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't invade Iraq. He let the soldiers do that.

He stayed in Westminster until it was safe.
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised he's not in jail
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    We wouldn't be worried about young women buggering off to Iraq or men chopping people's heads off.

yes we would because George Bush would still have invaded Iraq

nothing would be much different......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    I'm surprised he's not in jail

It's where he should be left to rot, with the blood stains permanently on his hands
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    We might celebrate Blair as one of this country's most succesful prime ministers if it were not for Iraq.

We might remember Blair as the prime minster whose wise council persuaded the USA to focus on Afghanistan instead of Iraq.

ISIS may never have developed. Or the civil war in Syria.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In hindsight BLAIR was a great PR act but actually a terrible Prime Minister. Unchecked he would have taken us into the Euro, what an utter disaster that would have been. Almost all his legislation was flawed or has had unintended consequences - the costs of the Human Rights Act, for example.

He was not hands on. He was far too casual about legislation. Thatcher scrutinised all legislation at every level to ensure it actually did what she intended - Blair barely looked at his. He also had not a clue what his Chancellor was doing, much of which stored up devastating consequences for our finances just for short term popularity.

While he was PM he added 3,000 new crimes to the statute book, that is so not progressive. He boosted exam grade inflation and created targets that saw Englsh children plummet in world league tables, he devalued the global status of our universities, he flooded the country with immigrants to shore up Labour's vote yet built no houses for them and allowed our infrastructure to buckle and decay so that the UK has serious long term issues.

His government ended up borrowing record amounts just to run the NHS, the rich got very much richer, real wages fell, immigrants grew the economy but average workers got poorer - and so on. And yes he invaded Iraq and was aggressive towards Muslim fanatics while opening our borders and letting a fifth column into our country. He has much to answer for.

That said, he was able to bring a lot of people together, including in Northern Ireland. I do not call him a war criminal either. Iraq was wrong but not illegal. And he was good at posing on the world stage and flying our flag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duncann wrote: »

And he was good at posing on the world stage and flying our flag.

Tony Blair ended up being nothing but an embarrassment and made the UK a target.

Posing probably sums him up really. He put on a good front, just like Cameron does now.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we hadn't invaded Iraq, then Saddam Hussein would still be in power, all the fighting in the middle east and ISIS wouldn't be happening. Saddam kept a lid on things even if we didn't like his methods.