Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I know what it means, but there has been a lot of emphasis on the final warning, as if any infraction following a final warning always meant that was it, you're gone. That may well be the case at the BBC, but your post simply confirmed what I was trying to convey, that this isn't automatically so, depending on employer, circumstances etc.

As far as infractions after a final warning go, though, punching a work colleague in the mouth is a doozy.

I got away with it once when I worked behind the bar of a small pub and was the only one who worked the late shifts, but even there I fully expected to be turfed out on the spot* and I know absolutely that I wouldn't have got away with it at any of the other places I've worked.

*I scraped a warning only because no-one at all liked the bloke I hit
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source?

There will definitely be interest from other channels but they will wait for things to blow over. Besides no one is going to do anything while there is a chance of any criminal investigation, which looks pretty unlikely now the producer has said he won't press charges.

On top of that they will need to know where Hammond and May stand as well with the BBC.

To be honest I would't be in the least bit surprised if we hear of Clarkson going to to some sort of rehab or anger management program and eventually returning to the BBC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An apt, BBC type response to this might be "Other threads are available"

Yes, I know. I'm just curious to know why it's fast approaching 150-pages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Perhaps we enjoy discussing it... perhaps there is a friendly DS family feeling vibe in this thread now and we enjoy the casual Clarkson related chit chat and trivia... perhaps some people are still waiting for the facts to come out, like facts that match how they feel the situation really went and they're going to damn well wait until those facts are revealed not the nonsense PC madness facts we have now... or perhaps this being DS maybe somebody wants the last word (I'm winning).

Really?
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what it means, but there has been a lot of emphasis on the final warning, as if any infraction following a final warning always meant that was it, you're gone. That may well be the case at the BBC, but your post simply confirmed what I was trying to convey, that this isn't automatically so, depending on employer, circumstances etc.
    Not only the BBC. My employer exercised exactly the same. Years ago they didn't...they were relatively lax to the point of sloppy. They were forced to get their act together and tighten things up and not before time either.

stoatie wrote: »
    It's the BBC, though, the last bastion of correct English usage. If THEY don't mean "final" when they mean "final", then we may as well all give up.
    Not really. I've explained before much of it's down to a tightening up of Company law and insurance. Twenty years ago employees and employers could, and often did, get away with this sort of thing. Claims against employers sent their insurance premiums soaring as they became 'high risk'.

Employers started to 'wise up' and crack the whip with mid level management being left in no doubt that their jobs were at risk if they continued with the lazy 'turn a blind eye as long as the job gets done'.

In more extreme serious cases this could lead to criminal charges of negligence being brought against the employer.

Company law is there for the benefit and protection of both the employer and employee.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Really?

Didn't get the joke huh? :D (I'm winning again!!!!) :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Didn't get the joke huh? :D (I'm winning again!!!!) :D

Really?
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Really?

Haha... now you're getting it!!! (I'm winning)!!!!
  • nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Dermot O'Leary one of the favourites to take over? That's similar to Clarkson taking over as the host of Big Brother or X Factor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nevada wrote: »
    Why is Dermot O'Leary one of the favourites to take over? That's similar to Clarkson taking over as the host of Big Brother or X Factor.

I reckon they should do regular guest presenters
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Nigel Mansell should take over...

Very charismatic bloke...
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Game of thrones, series total is therefore about 25 million, once a year. 10 episodes per season. Eastenders, I haven't ever seen any more than 2 minutes of any one, is that daily? Even at 4 times a week, the budget for Eastenders is a million a week, 52 million a year! Waste of money as far as I'm concerned, but clearly a lot of other people like it.

My cost for a Game of Thrones episode in my previous post was from the 2013 budget. I don't know what the 2015 budget is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's adjusted as £5M or £6M per episode excluding the ones with dragons' appearance.

What's on HBO when a Games of Thrones series is over? Dead air every Sunday for 42 weeks until a new GoT series return? Of course not. HBO has to fill its Sunday slot with 42 Sundays' worth of similarly budgeted HBO prime time productions. In 2013/2014: Game of Thrones, Broadwalk Empire (£4.9M per episode), True Detective (£2.7M per episode), etc.

HBO can afford it since their annual income is £2.4 billion.

They aren't the richest kid on the block, though. Amazon Studios are. And they've recently allocated £120 million to the 2015 line-up of original drama and comedy productions alone. For what it's worth, Netflix's income is £3.6 billion and AMC's income is £1.5 billion, but no idea on Showtime's income (I don't pay that much attention to Showtime, I admit).

For comparison's sake, BBC's typical annual income is £162 million. (£16M from TV licence income + £146M from BBC Worldwide.) The bulk of this income is spent on BBC services - TV programming, radio programming, regional programming, online services & websites (especially BBC News) and so on.

You're nuts if you still believe the majority of licence payees would be fine with the BBC spending £50M on a 10-episode production alone. :D
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    My cost for a Game of Thrones episode in my previous post was from the 2013 budget. I don't know what the 2015 budget is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's adjusted as £5M or £6M per episode excluding the ones with dragons' appearance.

What's on HBO when a Games of Thrones series is over? Dead air every Sunday for 42 weeks until a new GoT series return? Of course not. HBO has to fill its Sunday slot with 42 Sundays' worth of similarly budgeted HBO prime time productions. In 2013/2014: Game of Thrones, Broadwalk Empire (£4.9M per episode), True Detective (£2.7M per episode), etc.

HBO can afford it since their annual income is £2.4 billion.

They aren't the richest kid on the block, though. Amazon Studios are. And they've recently allocated £120 million to the 2015 line-up of original drama and comedy productions alone. For what it's worth, Netflix's income is £3.6 billion and AMC's income is £1.5 billion, but no idea on Showtime's income (I don't pay that much attention to Showtime, I admit).

For comparison's sake, BBC's typical annual income is £162 million. (£16M from TV licence income + £146M from BBC Worldwide.) The bulk of this income is spent on BBC services - TV programming, radio programming, regional programming, online services & websites (especially BBC News) and so on.

You're nuts if you still believe the majority of licence payees would be fine with the BBC spending £50M on a 10-episode production alone. :D

That isn't what the report shows

"Income

Total licence fee income collected increased by £16million from £3,706million to £3,722million as a result of modest household growth."

16million was the increase in the fee, not the revenue total.

Other income and revenue Commercial (mainly BBC Worldwide) income and Grant-in-Aid for World Service £1,340m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/annualreport/2014/executive/finances/licence_fee.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    That isn't what the report shows

"Income

Total licence fee income collected increased by £16million from £3,706million to £3,722million as a result of modest household growth."

16million was the increase in the fee, not the revenue total.

Other income and revenue Commercial (mainly BBC Worldwide) income and Grant-in-Aid for World Service £1,340m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/annualreport/2014/executive/finances/licence_fee.html

Thanks for the correction. My fault for checking in a hurry.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Thanks for the correction. My fault for checking in a hurry.

No worries - and I think the BBC do spend that money on quality programming. At the moment they are producing a series based on the Warrior Chronicles by Bernard Cornwall... real 'Game of Thrones' based on the 9thC battles between the Saxons and the Danes across England. I love those books as much as I love GoT and I am looking forward to the production just as much.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    It's the BBC, though, the last bastion of correct English usage. If THEY don't mean "final" when they mean "final", then we may as well all give up.

(Yes, DC Comics, I am looking at YOU with your "Infinite Crisis" LIMITED series and your "Final Crisis" which wasn't even the last crisis).
    Final Fantasy is up to version XV now.
    Source?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/jeremy-clarkson-sacked-channel-4-and-other-major-broadcasters-rule-out-hiring-him-10133750.html
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »

The Neverending Story ended... although I think the Simpsons beat me to that one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    and on that bombshell..GOODNIGHT:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never even knew what this Game of Thrones was until Takea enlightened me. I thought it must be some kind of computer game or blockbuster movie. :blush:

I'm amazed at the costings Takae gave.

If Clarkson wants to continue working in television, he should concentrate on ww2 documentaries as he does have a genuine passion for this. He did an excellent presentation of PQ17: An Arctic Convoy Disaster shown on BBC2 last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03n3297
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Death threat to BBC chief and his wife: Bodyguards rush to home of Director-General after terrifying e-mail is sent to Corporation over his decision to drop Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear
    BBC boss Tony Hall has been placed under protection of elite bodyguards
    The Director General received a death threat in wake of Clarkson sacking
    Deemed 'credible', it required an immediate response from Scotland Yard
    The Mail on Sunday's exclusive pictures show him under close protection
    He and his wife were placed under guard at their £1.5m Oxfordshire home

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3016302/Death-threat-BBC-chief-wife-Bodyguards-rush-home-Director-General-terrifying-e-mail-sent-Corporation-decision-drop-Jeremy-Clarkson-Gear.html

Getting beyond silly now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Death threat to BBC chief and his wife: Bodyguards rush to home of Director-General after terrifying e-mail is sent to Corporation over his decision to drop Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear

I read some of the bile spewed out by the Twitterati against Tymon so i'm not surprised to read this now.

No doubt the Police were keeping an eye on what was going on and the culprits face the full force of the law with some harsh sentencing.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I read some of the bile spewed out by the Twitterati against Tymon so i'm not surprised to read this now.

No doubt the Police were keeping an eye on what was going on and the culprits face the full force of the law with some harsh sentencing.

I haven't seen the Twitter stuff, apart from what's been in the papers but yes, it really needs to be clamped down on. Hard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    If Clarkson wants to continue working in television, he should concentrate on ww2 documentaries as he does have a genuine passion for this. He did an excellent presentation of PQ17: An Arctic Convoy Disaster shown on BBC2 last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03n3297

Some reports say Clarkson is interested in making a factual series that chronicles his attempt to run a working farm from scratch.

Apparently he wants to portray himself as a keenly ambitious new farmer going in blind. No experience and no in-depth knowledge ready at hand. We'll witness his mistakes and lessons, and his interactions with local farmers and the others in the industry.

I do hope that will be developed because I like the idea of it highlighting the struggles British farmers constantly face today. Especially weather and the government. My mum lives on a non-working farm where she leases her lands to a neighbour farmer. It was him that opened my eyes to the reality of farming and agriculture. So yes, I think Clarkson's farm project would make an interesting watch.

I also can understand why he might be interested in that subject. Farming, agriculture and the countryside are essentially the heart and soul of conservative Britain, aren't they? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen the Twitter stuff, apart from what's been in the papers but yes, it really needs to be clamped down on. Hard.
    They are still on there.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC boss Tony Hall has been placed under protection of elite bodyguards
    The Director General received a death threat in wake of Clarkson sacking
    Deemed 'credible', it required an immediate response from Scotland Yard
    The Mail on Sunday's exclusive pictures show him under close protection
    He and his wife were placed under guard at their £1.5m Oxfordshire home

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3016302/Death-threat-BBC-chief-wife-Bodyguards-rush-home-Director-General-terrifying-e-mail-sent-Corporation-decision-drop-Jeremy-Clarkson-Gear.html

This is now the norm when there is a major controversial story. If the person posted the threats here they would have probably been banned. Are any parties threatening to block websites that conain death threats if they win the election, or is libertarianism considered more important than life?