Favourite Shopping Centres

80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
Forum Member
✭✭
Which one is yours? Or do you prefer the more traditional setting of a city centre? Poll to follow!

Personally I prefer a town or city centre more than the sterile and soulless places like Westfield :(

PS - apologies in advance to people in Northern Ireland. I don't know any regional out of town shopping centres in NI :blush:

Which is your favourite shopping centre? 91 votes

Brent Cross
1% 1 vote
Bluewater
0% 0 votes
Lakeside
4% 4 votes
Westfield Stratford
5% 5 votes
Westfield Shepherd's Bush
2% 2 votes
Cribbs Causeway, Bristol
3% 3 votes
Meadowhall, Sheffield
5% 5 votes
Metro Centre, Gateshead
5% 5 votes
Trafford Centre, Manchester
17% 16 votes
St David's, Cardiff
6% 6 votes
Braehead, Glasgow
3% 3 votes
Other Shopping Centre
19% 18 votes
I prefer town/city centre shopping
25% 23 votes

Comments

• Kris77Kris77 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I like the Trafford Centre in Manchester, all under one roof and it's biggest ace is the free on site parking. I know some people can't stand the place but I like it
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shopping malls are horrid >:(
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salford Precinct is a delight.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to blue water and it was good... I also like the Trafford centre...Liverpool one is also good
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    rjb101 wrote: »

I agree, can't stand any of them
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only one I have ever been to is Braehead in Glasgow
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fairhill, it's a big shoppin centre in Ballymena hi :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Certainly not Peterborough Queensgate.

What a dump!
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear that Peterborugh Queensgate is a bit of a dump. Can anyone confirm?
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to go shopping in Leeds City Centre (there is a very crap out of town shopping centre called the White Rose Centre here but it's a soulless, depressing place).

We'll always go into town on the bus and reward ourselves with cocktails and a visit to a nice restaurant when we're finished shopping. You can't really do that so much with out of town shopping centres (unless you live near one) so it spoils the fun!
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    I quite like Canary Wharf's shopping centre, there aren't a huge number of shops in there but I do like the shops they have and it's not horribly busy like Stratford.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Any one that has an Apple Store in it is good in my book :D
  • ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted for Trafford Centre.
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been to quite a few of the malls mentioned down the years, particularly the ones around our fair capital; Bluewater's my nearest but because of that, and thanks to a mix of job opportunities and shopping trips it's become a bit of a trudge, though I do appreciate the compact triangular design which makes it a little easier to get point-to-point than a more traditional 'long' mall like Lakeside.

Voted in the end for Westfield at Stratford - good mix of shops from budget (Primark, Sports Direct and TK Maxx) through high street (River Island, Topman, Next, H&M and the awesome Forever21) through to quite upmarket stores, and I like a centre to have variety and choice, even if I can only afford the cheaper end! In similar vein, I also like the lower-level foodcourt at Stratford as, like the Bluewater Wintergarden, it has the likes of Harry Ramsden's...
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon. I can shop from home and they deliver to my doorstep. No trudging around overcrowded shopping centres/malls.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Metro Centre, of course!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    rjb101 wrote: »

This. Head-ache inducing, nauseating, stale, busy, full of screaming kids and buggies and overpriced food concessions.

It's a pointless poll anyway. People will either chose their local one or whinge that one is missing....... I thought Trinity Square in Leeds was half decent as far as shopping centres go, but it's probably too small for your list.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The MetroCentre. Saying this though, I've not been to the others in the list. The MetroCentre does seem to have a bit of everything. Eldon Square's okay, but the variety of shops doesn't seem to be as good as the MetroCentre's.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Amazon. Bricks and mortar are so 20th century.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cribside wrote: »

It's a pointless poll anyway. People will either chose their local one or whinge that one is missing....... I thought Trinity Square in Leeds was half decent as far as shopping centres go, but it's probably too small for your list.

It's funny though you talk about Leeds' new shopping area, when what got me thinking about shopping centres was the thread about a poster from West Yorkshire who is prepared to do a long-winded and seemingly expensive journey by public transport to Meadowhall! To me Leeds city centre outshines Meadowhall, but people are willing to travel to the big out of town centres.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I prefer Amazon. Bricks and mortar are so 20th century.

There's something very satisfying about picking up an item, taking it to the till, paying for it, then walking away with it. Saying this though, I do think that online shopping will increase more and more as the years go by. I mean, who wouldn't want the convenience of shopping from the comfort of your home?
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Certainly not Peterborough Queensgate.

What a dump!
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I hear that Peterborugh Queensgate is a bit of a dump. Can anyone confirm?

Aww leave Queensgate alone! :D

It's quite large for a city centre shopping centre with a big John Lewis, Boots and Primark plus the usual retailers. It has decent priced car parking and a bus station on site. The only thing that could cause people to say 'it's a dump' is its lovely early 1980s decor ;-) Well I would say that, wouldn't I? :D:D

Being serious I don't think Queensgate has had much work done to the interior since they opened in 1982
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Merry Hill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shame that the OP had never heard of it. 7th largest in the UK
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    There's something very satisfying about picking up an item, taking it to the till, paying for it, then walking away with it. Saying this though, I do think that online shopping will increase more and more as the years go by. I mean, who wouldn't want the convenience of shopping from the comfort of your home?

Indeed sometimes I don't want to wait for an item (even with Amazon's v.good next day delivery) Sometimes, I just to have the item there and then! I'm in impatient by nature! :D
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Lakeside. I also like Westfield Stratford more than Sheherds bush as Shepherds bush seems more sterile, doesn't have all the shops I need and The Village is a bit poncy. It's good if I need to pick up some bits and for a look around on my lunch break but Romford and Lakeside I never tire from.