Best World Rugby Team selection not an English, Welsh or Scots name in it

jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
Forum Member
✭✭✭
World team selection:

ww.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/six-nations/only-two-ireland-players-make-worlds-best-rugby-team-31051960.html

Israel Folau (Australia), Ben Smith (New Zealand), Tevita Kuridrani (Australia), Ma’a Nonu (New Zealand), Julian Savea (New Zealand), Jonny Sexton (Ireland), Conor Murray (Ireland); Marcos Ayerza (Argentina), Bismarck du Plessis (South Africa), Charlie Faumuina (New Zealand), Brodie Retallick (New Zealand), Eben Etzebeth (South Africa), Jerome Kaino (New Zealand), Richie McCaw (New Zealand), Kieran Read (New Zealand)

Haha not an Englishman, Frenchman , Welshman or Scots , oh but wait 2 Irishmen . Obviously itis biased towards SH teams

Comments

• jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add what they sais about Sexton

Johnny Sexton:

"If Dan Carter had enjoyed a more continuous run of games, he would most likely have done enough to convince me he is still the best option at this position. However given his horrid run of injury, he loses his spot to Sexton.

"Put simply, if Ireland achieve the grand slam this year, it will be remembered as Sexton’s tournament. The best player in the northern hemisphere bar none, under the guide of coach Joe Schmidt, Sexton has gone from strength to strength, and has now no apparent weakness in his game.

"Has schooled all 10s he has faced this year, including English young gun George Ford last weekend, and looks to be the key cog in Ireland’s hopes this year, a role which he has grasped with two hands in the last few months.

"Phenomenal performances against South Africa, England, France and Australia, he wins this jersey based on pure form."
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, can you pop the word Union after the word rugby to stop others doing what I did and thinking it was a thread about league too please
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Why, did reading the OP post wear you out or something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Why, did reading the OP post wear you out or something?

Ah rudeness. Very clever. After I was so polite to the OP.
  • Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, can you pop the word Union after the word rugby to stop others doing what I did and thinking it was a thread about league too please

I doubt other posters are likely to think it is a thread about League, as it took absolutely zero effort for me to conclude it was about Union.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough

I do have a chip on my shoulder about Union fans just calling the sport Rugby and forgetting there are two codes. Goes back to a thread on here a couple of years ago called "The all rugby thread". I posted first with my thoughts on something about league to be told that this wasn't a thread for league etc.
  • Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    The question of who are the best players in the world in any sport is always an entirely subjective one. It's all a matter of opinion, and should be taken with a pinch of salt as it is impossible to qualify. As the team is made up of players from all countries of the world, no national side, say NZ could expect to win against them because it could be reasonably argued that NZ wouldn't have their best team out due to contributing players to the World XV. Catch 22, isn't it..?

It's not unusual for any World XV to be chock full of SH players. I wouldn't say it's bias exactly, because SH rugby in general is of a higher quality than NH. The results of matches between teams of the two hemispheres would tend to support that.

But that's how things are at the moment. As with all things, it's subject to change / updating, and if an NH team were to win the RWC this year that World XV would most certainly be updated.
  • Michael_VaughanMichael_Vaughan Posts: 12,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Forgot to add what they sais about Sexton

"Has schooled all 10s he has faced this year, including English young gun George Ford last weekend, and looks to be the key cog in Ireland’s hopes this year, a role which he has grasped with two hands in the last few months.

I wouldn't fancy his chances of 'schooling' Dan Biggar on Saturday against Wales, if the Welsh pack get parity or on top of the Irish forwards at least.

That's the difficulty with these best in these type of lists, the backs are always picked from the teams with dominant forward packs in front of them.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    There are a couple of Australian backs and no one could accuse their pack of being dominant. Not that these sort of lists mean anything.
  • Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If he's that good, why is he not staying at Racing Metro?
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    Fair enough

I do have a chip on my shoulder about Union fans just calling the sport Rugby and forgetting there are two codes. Goes back to a thread on here a couple of years ago called "The all rugby thread". I posted first with my thoughts on something about league to be told that this wasn't a thread for league etc.

That would be the thread I started.

That was an oversight on my part in not making the distinction, tbh there had always been a regular annual League thread (so I wrongly assumed people would know it was for Union stuff).

Eventually people stopped talking about League, so I asked the mods to change the name.
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    World team selection:

ww.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/six-nations/only-two-ireland-players-make-worlds-best-rugby-team-31051960.html

Israel Folau (Australia), Ben Smith (New Zealand), Tevita Kuridrani (Australia), Ma’a Nonu (New Zealand), Julian Savea (New Zealand), Jonny Sexton (Ireland), Conor Murray (Ireland); Marcos Ayerza (Argentina), Bismarck du Plessis (South Africa), Charlie Faumuina (New Zealand), Brodie Retallick (New Zealand), Eben Etzebeth (South Africa), Jerome Kaino (New Zealand), Richie McCaw (New Zealand), Kieran Read (New Zealand)

Haha not an Englishman, Frenchman , Welshman or Scots , oh but wait 2 Irishmen . Obviously itis biased towards SH teams

This list is not founded in fact... not that I could argue for any English players in there... bar maybe Robshaw (his stats count for themselves again this year and last year in the autumn tests). Likely over the year that Warburton, Hooper or SOB would be in ahead of him though.

Anyone who's been watching this seasons super rugby will have seen the decline McCaw is in, I'd be shocked if he wasn't rested from round 10 of super rugby, the man is no longer as quick as he was and the refs are getting tired of his tactics.

Ma Nonu deserves no space on this list at all, nor Faumuina.

But how good would that back 3 be? (I'd have North in over Savea).