Options

Cat Care Post-Neutering

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 679
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondered if some of you DS cat-owners could tell me how long you kept your cats in after they'd been neutered?

We've just brought ours home after being 'done' today and he's lively as anything, leaping around and scrabbling madly at the cat flap trying to get out... We've locked it cos the vet said to keep him in for 5-7 days - partly cos they can be woozy after the anaesthetic (he certainly isn't!) and partly to stop them scrapping with other cats after the op.

He's just so desperate to get outside, I can't see how we'll keep him in for that long. Apparently we're also supposed to stop him jumping about too much - well, he's already been up on the breakfast bar and down again, doing a flying run-up at the cat flap!

Any advice welcome - I just feel so mean, poor little fella keeps looking at me with a "Come on, open the door" begging expression on his face! :(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    I remember keeping mine in for a couple of days and put him back on the litter tray, just paid him lots of attention
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was told mine would be woozy and sleepy, and he was the complete opposite. He ran around like a loony and made a heck of a racket. Absolutely manic.

It was, I was later told, a reaction to the anaesthetic. Some cats are sleepy, others go nuts.

Keep him in. Ignore the begging and be loving and talk soothingly to him. It'll calm down eventually. He has to heal a little before he takes off again :D

Mad pusscat!
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least for tonight for a male cat, Dr Todd, and preferably longer. I've normally left male cats for about 2 days, and as glitter said, give him lots of attention.

Our female kitten was spayed on Friday, and we had to keep her calm for 24 hours - easier said than done! As soon as she came round from the anaesthetic, the vet said she was climbing all over the cage and hanging about upside down :D
  • Options
    timewarpbunnytimewarpbunny Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    We've just had 2 of our boys done and our 2 girls.

The boys we kept in for a few days, until I knew they were ok and the area looked clean.

The girls we kept in until they took their stitches out.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're gonna have to be cruel to be kind...mine was dizzy and sleepy for days (he even fell asleep on his litter tray the poor sod lol) but as others have said - some cats go pure mental straight after the op.

It's in his interest you keep him indoors for a bit...while the wound is still healing it could easily get infected if he goes flying around the garden.

Cats can be like nagging kids when you dont give in but if you put your foot down hopefully he'll get fed up and go for a snooze...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, guys - good to know others have had similar experiences! I guess we just have to grit our teeth and live with it for a couple of days.

He's currently hurling himself at the catflap in a demented fashion - which I'm sorry to say is hilarious. If we don't watch it he'll have a face as flat as Bungle's. :D
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Todd wrote: »
    Thanks, guys - good to know others have had similar experiences! I guess we just have to grit our teeth and live with it for a couple of days.

He's currently hurling himself at the catflap in a demented fashion - which I'm sorry to say is hilarious. If we don't watch it he'll have a face as flat as Bungle's. :D

LOL!

Man, it sounds like it's gonna be hard work for you the next couple of days!

Good luck :D
  • Options
    jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't let him out too early, I caved in & let mine out after 2 days & she ran away/disappeared :(.
    I never found her & it's over 10 years ago but I always wonder....... :cry:
    (She had a collar & ID tag, was chipped & usually went out to do her business but always came home before).
    I've still got her mother & she's now a great-great-great granny of 17 & doing well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having my cat neutered tomorrow..really hope he is going to be ok :(

I have to drop him off at 8am tomorrow so I've just given him his last food!

Is he still allowed to drink water during today?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngelStar wrote: »

The vet should have given you a leaflet explaining pre-op care - I think he could have water today but then nothing after a certain time - think it's midnight or something ridiculous, but the vet could tell you if you rang them. :)

Good luck, AngelStar, but I'm sure he'll be fine. I only kept ours in for the one night, he was getting so distressed at not being able to go out, but then he didn't go far, and was totally back to normal by the following evening. :)
  • Options
    michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes allow him water today, I was told mine could have food up until 6pm too. I'm sure everything will be fine, it's such a quick operation for male cats. Not that that stops us owners worrying of course.

I hate that wait between dropping them off and picking them up again. I've got my dog and newest cat going in for their ops in a couple of weeks and will no doubt spend a day pacing the floor and watching the clock.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told when I get my little one spayed she'll have to be kept in for 10 days :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Todd wrote: »
    The vet should have given you a leaflet explaining pre-op care - I think he could have water today but then nothing after a certain time - think it's midnight or something ridiculous, but the vet could tell you if you rang them. :)

Good luck, AngelStar, but I'm sure he'll be fine. I only kept ours in for the one night, he was getting so distressed at not being able to go out, but then he didn't go far, and was totally back to normal by the following evening. :)

Thanks Dr Todd!

I haven't got a leaflet from the vet, I had to ask a friend to ring and book the appointment because I'm living abroad at the moment and can't speak the language yet (let alone read it)!

From what I've read on the internet, I think he will be ok to drink water today until around 10pm tonight, then that's it! I just wanted to check with the DS cat lovers!

Blimey, I think I'm more stressed than he is, although he knows somethings up as he's being a crazy cat this morning!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes allow him water today, I was told mine could have food up until 6pm too. I'm sure everything will be fine, it's such a quick operation for male cats. Not that that stops us owners worrying of course.

I hate that wait between dropping them off and picking them up again. I've got my dog and newest cat going in for their ops in a couple of weeks and will no doubt spend a day pacing the floor and watching the clock.

Thanks!

I will definately give him his water but hold off on any more food!

I can imagine me pacing the floor tomorrow too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    It's a pretty straightforward op for males. They're usually fine within a day or two.

Bit more involved for females. They'll normally need at least a week to let the incision heal properly.

Both our are female so we had them done at the same time so one wouldn't pester the other while they were recouperating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member

I think you're wrong about the food. Whenever I've had a cat neutered they've been fed as usual the day before then nothing after the evening meal except water.

If you don't feed him he'll be starving and grumpy. Please ring the vet.

As someone has said it's easier for boy cats. The often don't even need stitches. He'll be fine, don't sorry. But do feed him.