Cheryl Cole Sues X Factor U.S.A.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
Forum Member
✭✭
Go get them, Cheryl! ;)

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/former-x-factor-judge-cheryl-cole-sues-producers-for-2-3m-simon-cowell/

Former ‘X-Factor’ Judge Cheryl Cole Sues Producers For $2.3M

Short-lived X-Factor judge Cheryl Cole today sued producers Blue Orbit Productons for more than $2.3 million. Even though she was dumped from the show before it debuted, Cole claims that she is owed the money under the pay or play contract she had with the singing competition show. The British host and singer says in her Breach of Contract suit (read it here) that while she was paid $1.8 million for season one of the U.S. X-Factor, it is the money for season two that she is seeking now. Cole served as a judge on the UK version of X-Factor and was imported by Simon Cowell to serve as judge for the debut season of the American version of The X-Factor. That never really ended up happening. Cole was replaced by Nicole Scherzinger before the show even went to air. “On June 5, 2011, Blue Orbit formally elected to exercise its pay or play right pursuant to the terms of the Agreement, such that Cole was not required to perform any services as a judge on The X Factor series,” says the complaint. Besides her $2 million fee as a judge for season two, Cole is seeking the additional $300,000 in damages for wardrobe allowance, a stylist allowance, hotel/apartment in LA allowance and a $2,500 per month living allowance from season one that she says she was entitled to. She is also seeking interest and the usual “for such other and further relief as the Court may deem just and proper.” The X-Factor is currently in its second season with Scherzinger having herself been replaced by Britney Spears as a judge on the show. Cole is represented by Allen B Grodsky of LA firm Grodsky & Olecki.

Comments

• BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea!

Could we sue cheryl for masquerading as a singer?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BillyBoy7 wrote: »
    Good idea!

Could we sue cheryl for masquerading as a singer?

Motion denied by virtue of the fact that Cheryl is a superstar while you're online masquerading as a comedian ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JYZ2psCMW4
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Well surely this puts a damper on her returning next year.
  • BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xeo wrote: »
    Well surely this puts a damper on her returning next year.

Every cloud........... :D
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone explain why she thinks she is owed money for season 2? :confused: I don't get it. lol

Edit: Just had a look at the 'Breach of Contract Suit' and understand it now. lol
  • jcallaghan86jcallaghan86 Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desperate cow, guess that puts an end to speculation about her coming back to xf uk next year, arent they run by the same producers? I could be wrong, but yay if shes not coming back
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Desperate cow, guess that puts an end to speculation about her coming back to xf uk next year, arent they run by the same producers? I could be wrong, but yay if shes not coming back

If I had a contract that entitled me to a couple million pounds I would persue it too. lol

I wonder if the recent meeting with Simon had anything to do with this or if it was about something else.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    I hope she squeezes every penny she can from them, after what I read a while ago about them trying to trick her into breaching her contract (the only reason it took so long for the announcement that she was leaving TXF:USA). That was very shady of them, and now Cole is playing them at their own game. Good on her, for too long The X Factor has used and abused people.

I'm sure many here will be critical of her, but I bet those people also have zero knowledge of contract law. If you have a contract you are entitled to have it fulfilled - if after the agreement is made one side changes their mind and decides they don't want the other to fulfill their terms (ie, the show decided there was no need for Cheryl to continue her duties as a judge) the other party to the contract (Cheryl) is still entitled to have the other party to the contract fulfill their terms (ie payment to Cheryl). I bet those that will be critical of her over this would do the same thing that she is doing too. Contract law follows common sense really.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member

Why is she desperate cow for suing over a breach of contract? Or are the X factor bosses not supposed to keep up their ends of the deals? Would that be fine with any employer out there?

The bosses were most likely trying to have Simon smooch things over with Cheryl, but it backfired.
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    I don't like Cheryl but good on her for doing this. She's entitled to that money, and chances are its more than what she'd get for doing a season of X Factor UK anyway, and she won't have to do anything.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit odd I guess. Unless Cowell has indicated that actually he doesn't want her back on the UK show? Right now she needs a "vehicle" to keep her in the public eye - her solo career isn't going anywhere, Girls Aloud's comeback sales have been rather subdued, The Voice won't hire her either and her new boyfriend isn't a famous footballer.

It would seem to make more sense that she do X Factor UK, get paid a lot of money (more than she might win here) and have a role for a few years that keeps her career ticking along. Whereas this might give her a nice payday but closes down the most obvious and lucrative path for her.

And with the timing of last weeks meeting, it's all a bit strange.

They were fools for signing her to that contract in the first place. Why commit so much to a non-entity? Baffling decision on their part. A remarkable payout for so little work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheryl says in her autobiography she was asked back to judge season 2, so maybe that is why, so they wouldn't have to give her money for doing nothing and might aswell use her.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    It's a bit odd I guess. Unless Cowell has indicated that actually he doesn't want her back on the UK show? Right now she needs a "vehicle" to keep her in the public eye - her solo career isn't going anywhere, Girls Aloud's comeback sales have been rather subdued, The Voice won't hire her either and her new boyfriend isn't a famous footballer.

It would seem to make more sense that she do X Factor UK, get paid a lot of money (more than she might win here) and have a role for a few years that keeps her career ticking along. Whereas this might give her a nice payday but closes down the most obvious and lucrative path for her.

And with the timing of last weeks meeting, it's all a bit strange.

They were fools for signing her to that contract in the first place. Why commit so much to a non-entity? Baffling decision on their part. A remarkable payout for so little work.

I don't believe for a second that Danny Cohen would turn down Cheryl on The Voice. The BBC like to portray themselves as oh so superior but there is no way they wouldn't sign her up if it were 100% possible. No matter who is in charge at the BBC at any time they seem obsessed with Cowell and bringing him down. Their smugness when The Voice got off to a great start was ridiculous for a licence fee broadcaster. Luckily they don't seem quite OTT with Strictly this time around. I guess even they can concede how The X Factor's woes are completely down to X Factor nothing to do with the BBC cheesefest.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    I don't believe for a second that Danny Cohen would turn down Cheryl on The Voice. The BBC like to portray themselves as oh so superior but there is no way they wouldn't sign her up if it were 100% possible.

I'm sure they could have had her by now if they wanted, especially with will.i.am there. It'd just be such an odd fit - they couldn't have her doing any of the group performances which were quite a hyped up part of the US version.

I guess when it launched it was more important to be able to claim that it was different to X Factor and having Cheryl (or Dannii would have been a bigger issue) so now that it's established (and it turns out it's a lot like X Factor anyway!) they might be more willing to have her on board.

Longterm I think she needs to find something steady to keep her in the public eye. And I don't see that being in music the way things are going. TV would be her best bet.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    xeo wrote: »
    I don't like Cheryl but good on her for doing this. She's entitled to that money, and chances are its more than what she'd get for doing a season of X Factor UK anyway, and she won't have to do anything.

Exactly. If the roles were switched, and one of the judges wanted to leave the show before the contracts finished, X factor would be the first one to sue.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is strange. The staged photos of Cheryl turning up at Simon's house seem a bit pointless now. Perhaps an agreement to rejoin UK X Factor couldn't be reached and she's decided to use her right to sue for breach of contract on the US X Factor. Is it for monetary gain or simply to grab some attention? It's hard to say. Hopefully this means no return for her on either version of X Factor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Is she back under the malign influence of Cashley?
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    This is strange. The staged photos of Cheryl turning up at Simon's house seem a bit pointless now. Perhaps an agreement to rejoin UK X Factor couldn't be reached and she's decided to use her right to sue for breach of contract on the US X Factor. Is it it for monetary gain or simply to grab some attention? It's hard to say. Hopefully this means no return for her on either version of X Factor.

It is interesting timing. Could be that she is returning to the show and this has been agreed between them - this looks better for Cheryl in the event that she returns to the show because she looks less like a desperate victim firmly under Cowell's thumb who returns after being fired and more like someone who has decided to return after taking Cowell to the cleaners forcing him to pay millions of pounds for work she hasn't even done.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    It is interesting timing. Could be that she is returning to the show and this has been agreed between them - this looks better for Cheryl in the event that she returns to the show because she looks less like a desperate victim firmly under Cowell's thumb who returns after being fired and more like someone who has decided to return after taking Cowell to the cleaners forcing him to pay millions of pounds for work she hasn't even done.

That seems likely. I remember it was stated by one of her publicists or someone connected to her that they released stories to the tabloids back in 2011 of The X Factor being in crisis in preparation for Cheryl's triumphant return to ''save the show''. It all went tits up when news of her possible return leaked and she was robbed of her chance to make a shock comeback at the auditions. As far back as then a plan was in place for a similar scenario to what you're suggesting. It's all very cynical if true.
  • BReal2BReal2 Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing. It's very odd timing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is strange. The staged photos of Cheryl turning up at Simon's house seem a bit pointless now. Perhaps an agreement to rejoin UK X Factor couldn't be reached and she's decided to use her right to sue for breach of contract on the US X Factor. Is it for monetary gain or simply to grab some attention? It's hard to say. Hopefully this means no return for her on either version of X Factor.

Cheryl suing Simon in retaliation for whatever was said at that meeting, hah!! He must have failed in his wooing of her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do really want to know what was discussed when they met up in L.A.... surely this lawsuit must have came up?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smacks of greed. Honestly. Doesn´t matter how she is, she just wants more.
    Maybe she should spend some of that money on singing lessons
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    Can't stand Cheryl Cole and hope she stays away from X Factor. I for one wouldn't watch if she returned as a judge because she is so nasty to contestants thats she feels are a threat to her own acts. Remember Rydian? (Not one of her acts). He was sailing along beautifully until she stuck the knife in by telling him he was too 'cocky' and accused him of being a bully which started off all sorts of comments in the press. She was worried he'd win over her act. She is one nasty piece of work in my eyes. (And of course she can't sing for toffee, so it's particularly grating to listen to her criticising acts that have far better voices than hers).
  • GurglesGurgles Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand Cheryl Cole and hope she stays away from X Factor. I for one wouldn't watch if she returned as a judge because she is so nasty to contestants thats she feels are a threat to her own acts. Remember Rydian? (Not one of her acts). He was sailing along beautifully until she stuck the knife in by telling him he was too 'cocky' and accused him of being a bully which started off all sorts of comments in the press. She was worried he'd win over her act. She is one nasty piece of work in my eyes. (And of course she can't sing for toffee, so it's particularly grating to listen to her criticising acts that have far better voices than hers).

Cheryl wasn't a judge the year Rhydian was in (2007). She joined the following year when Sharon Osborne left.