Good for Ola

Comments

• VirgilHiltsVirgilHilts Posts: 2,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am inclined to also say 'good for you Ola' but with the caveat that the cynic in me can't help but wonder, had the routine been a huge hit, whether she'd have been sat on that sofa saying 'I can't take the credit for it, it wasn't my idea'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    I think that many of them would have risen to the occasion. Especially Artem.

Or even Anton :eek: (sorry)
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    It is good that pros just don't take the debit for decisions beyond their control BUT it works both ways and they shouldn't take credit for such decisions either.

And human nature being what it is they're much more likely to keep quiet about the latter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am inclined to also say 'good for you Ola' but with the caveat that the cynic in me can't help but wonder, had the routine been a huge hit, whether she'd have been sat on that sofa saying 'I can't take the credit for it, it wasn't my idea'.

Probably not, but then again we're also not going 'hey, look, that routine was obviously foisted upon them and it worked really well, great job producers!'.
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus full marks to him for giving it the full works when he got it. I don't think many others would have done - can you see Artem, for eg, willingly doing something so 'conventional' and exposing?
    BIB Yes. His Paso with Holly was pretty straight down the line (ignoring the Zorro mask :D) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxPgusJ4GGA and so was the one he did with Fern (albeit she was pretty limited as a dancer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EntfF0QSXxs. The one he danced with Kara was more 'themed' (think it was hallowe'en) and we haven't seen one with Natalie yet.....
    I think that many of them would have risen to the occasion. Especially Artem.
    I'm sure that's true. I bet lots of them would love not to have to work around themes and ill fitting music.

Personally, I like modern music (alongside the traditional) on the show, but some of the choices are just poor choices for the dances
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    BIB Yes. His Paso with Holly was pretty straight down the line (ignoring the Zorro mask :D) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxPgusJ4GGA and so was the one he did with Fern (albeit she was pretty limited as a dancer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EntfF0QSXxs. The one he danced with Kara was more 'themed' (think it was hallowe'en) and we haven't seen one with Natalie yet.....

I'm sure that's true. I bet lots of them would love not to have to work around themes and ill fitting music.

Personally, I like modern music (alongside the traditional) on the show, but some of the choices are just poor choices for the dances
    Or in some cases Hobson's choices. ;)
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »
    Or in some cases Hobson's choices. ;)

Is he the producer? :p
  • Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    I hope they are going to let the Saturday night viewers know too since they are the ones misled by Craig plus it probably directly affects the voting.

Bruce/Tess could credit the producers with the music and costume choices after one of the first performances, the same way as the orchestra gets credited :)
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    Well done indeed to Ola, she's gone up in my estimation . What do those producers know about dancing . They should all be made to have lessons in all the various types of dances, maybe then they wouldn't be making such idiotic choices with the dances and the music.

Agreed and if the pros and celebs are starting to speak up about then just maybe - fingers crossed - something might be done about it.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so. The producers, Katie Taylor, Andrea Hamilton and Glenn Coomber , are clearly a talentless tone-deaf trio who wouldn't be capable of choosing mis-matched music to a particular dance.

Even a monkey would be able to come up with an appropriate piece of music once every few series - such as the KFG / SR Paso Doble to Les Toreadors.

Let's not get our hopes up. Decent appropriate music is unlikely to be a new trend for the simple reason that the trio wouldn't know what appropriate music was.

The pros should choose the music in discussion with the SCD band; and the pros should choose their dance order through the rounds depending on how they see their celebrity's skills and musicality and tell the the plonker producers to stick to managing the crowd ovulations and the judges' scores and scripts.

Totally agree with this :-)
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said OP. Other people on this forum have been giving Kevin all the credit for going down the traditional route

Erm...Charleston dressed as werewolf, samba in the jungle..unless of course these were Kev' s ideas too!
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    Totally agree with this :-)

:D:cool:
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Erm...Charleston dressed as werewolf, samba in the jungle..unless of course these were Kev' s ideas too!

I prefer to think that they were - it only adds to the legend that is KFG!:cool:
  • The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    It is good that pros just don't take the debit for decisions beyond their control BUT it works both ways and they shouldn't take credit for such decisions either.

And human nature being what it is they're much more likely to keep quiet about the latter.

Yes. It's interesting that after all these years this is the first time we've heard that the pros don't choose the music or the themes.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. It's interesting that after all these years this is the first time we've heard that the pros don't choose the music or the themes.

It is a shame
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I actually really liked the cowboy paso, even though it should have been awful!

The spaceman/alien one though is one of the worst things I have ever seen on Strictly. I didn't even realise it was meant to be a paso until the judge's comments.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so. The producers, Katie Taylor, Andrea Hamilton and Glenn Coomber , are clearly a talentless tone-deaf trio who wouldn't be capable of choosing mis-matched music to a particular dance.

Even a monkey would be able to come up with an appropriate piece of music once every few series - such as the KFG / SR Paso Doble to Les Toreadors.

Let's not get our hopes up. Decent appropriate music is unlikely to be a new trend for the simple reason that the trio wouldn't know what appropriate music was.

The pros should choose the music in discussion with the SCD band; and the pros should choose their dance order through the rounds depending on how they see their celebrity's skills and musicality and tell the the plonker producers to stick to managing the crowd ovulations and the judges' scores and scripts.

Good points.
    What I also hate is when some of the judges blame the music choice or the theme on the pros; as if some of them even have a say in the matter.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good points.
    What I also hate is when some of the judges blame the music choice or the theme on the pros; as if some of them even have a say in the matter.

Well, they aren't gonna bite the hand that feeds them so well and they have to blame "somebody" and the pros and their partners "are nearest."
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, they aren't gonna bite the hand that feeds them so well and they have to blame "somebody" and the pros and their partners "are nearest."

True.
  • Frankie BoyleFrankie Boyle Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Go on Ola. Don't you just love her?

Hang on, I do!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Go on Ola. Don't you just love her?

Hang on, I do!

YES !! ha ha
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I admire about her is her competitiveness.
    The look she has on her face when she's waiting to hear whether she and her partner are through, could be described as miserable, but I think it's more a case of sheer anxiety because that they might be going out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    What I admire about her is her competitiveness.
    The look she has on her face when she's waiting to hear whether she and her partner are through, could be described as miserable, but I think it's more a case of sheer anxiety because that they might be going out.

She never takes it for granted & always looks so thankful. I like the fact she taunts James also, shows their banter is good. She's a good lil egg
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    bendymixer wrote: »
    conspiracy theories out again - all of them have had dodgy themes foisted on them Kevin would not have wanted that Raiders of the lost ark theme either or bad moon rising for a Charleston - and I bet Brendan did not pick his Halloween theme either

Sharing the poor ideas around doesn't mean there's no purpose in how and when they are given out. The point is who gets the best combination of music/ theme/ choregraphy in key weeks. Its like the singing shows from X factor to ALW where the song choice, arrangement, staging, and running order can dictate who goes far more than talent does. With SCD, there's the order of who dnces what in which week, show running order, judges comments for those who follow them slavishly or vote the opposite, , music, theme, and arrangement all in play .A vote winning dance in a non decisive week is wasted. A silly outfit can ruin the effect, a caterwauling vocal can undermine the dance, and inappropriate music renders great dancing impossible . There's also now the power for the judges to decide how good a person's final perfprmances are - with the judges choice deciding who gets something they will do well, or whether they are stuck with something that won't win votes and they won't be able to improve.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely get that the production team have to plan a programme with sufficient variety to engage viewers - that probably means if two couples are dancing a Paso they can't both do a trad Spanish one in the same week. But you would kind of hope that they would not go so far as to actually foist a theme that was totally unwanted on the pro rather than letting them come up with their own alternative. And certainly, it was very disingenuous of Craig (not for the first time I may add) to criticise the theme knowing full well it was not the pros choice but many casual viewers would think it was. Poorly done.

Why not . I think it would be great to compare two trad Pasos in the same week but you could have two different trad music choices .
    We could have the tune Kevin used and Ashley and Ola could have El Gato Montes with both in authenic paso costumes, not in a ridiculous cowboy outfit, which makes a mockery of the dance .
    El Gato Montes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt1bOQ20V3M