Options

Pound Shop Wars BBC1 8pm tonight

Comments

• Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    If I was inclined to shoplift I'd choose a different place than a pound shop:confused:
    Unless they are easier to target.

A woman was scooping the stuff into a big bag. My jaws has dropped at this.

Why can parents not control their children when shopping >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The OAP bringing out the dementia card :D
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was inclined to shoplift I'd choose a different place than a pound shop:confused:

That's what I was thinking.

If you're going to risk being prosecuted for shoplifting, you may as well do it in style.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmm mince beef pie in a bap. Must try.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Chip butty is the limit.. and that was years ago.
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    What would of happened if the other pound world refused to change the name of their shop?
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    Yeah. Was just thinking the same thing :)
    What would of happened if the other pound world refused to change the name of their shop?
    Something to do with Lawyers I'm sure :p
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member

Something to do with Lawyers I'm sure :p

Even if the other pound world had been there longer? They said they had been there years.
  • Options
    Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if the other pound world had been there longer? They said they had been there years.

They would have to prove it I assume.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Why can parents not control their children when shopping >:(

Which part of the program are you referring to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which part of the program are you referring to?

Breaking the toys and throwing them on the floor. My children never did that, they were taught to respect everything. No wonder there were 10 years old or however old they were shoplifting.
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the person who is the manager of their Liverpool store
    Mr Will Smith. I couldn't stop laughing when he was quizzing the two kids about shoplifting and they said their mums would shout at them. Poor Will didn't know what to do.
    I think those kids know how to play it.

Love the smiley faces which cover people's faces and also the guy who stole the Vanish tub and something else and the smiley face turned to a sad face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breaking the toys and throwing them on the floor. My children never did that, they were taught to respect everything. No wonder there were 10 years old or however old they were shoplifting.

I just rewatched the episode, I saw one kid try to pull the string on a toy and the ring on the end slipped and he dropped it, accidentally. They did show a lot of toys put back in the wrong spots on the shelf and some broken but I didn't see any kids on the program breaking the toys or throwing them on the floor. :confused:

I do agree in principle that parents need to mind their kids when shopping. Bear in mind that a lot of pound shop tat is cheap and probably doesn't take much to break.

I caught this gem too:

"The team is often so busy they don't have to time to go out and buy lunch." I hope that doesn't mean they don't get their breaks which are due to them by law, you don't get a break because your boss feels like being nice, you get one because it's mandated when you work a certain number of hours. It wouldn't surprise me if they deliberately employ part-time staff because they get fewer breaks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just rewatched the episode, I saw one kid try to pull the string on a toy and the ring on the end slipped and he dropped it, accidentally. They did show a lot of toys put back in the wrong spots on the shelf and some broken but I didn't see any kids on the program breaking the toys or throwing them on the floor. :confused:

Good grief. We saw a fraction of what the children did in that shop. That must happen everyday 6 days a week unless they are open on a Sunday as well. That equals a lot of damage.

Parents should not let them play with the toys until they have been paid for.

Cheap or not that is not the point. Children should be taught to respect the items in a shop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good grief. We saw a fraction of what the children did in that shop. That must happen everyday 6 days a week unless they are open on a Sunday as well. That equals a lot of damage.

Parents should not let them play with the toys until they have been paid for.

Cheap or not that is not the point. Children should be taught to respect the items in a shop.

I'm sure they do have items that are damaged in the store, but I've been in shops where it's teenagers who are mucking around with stuff (yes, even toys intended for small children). I already said I agree that parents should mind their children while shopping. But if toys are being sold in minimal packaging, kids are going to try them out, it's only natural. If a toy breaks after trying it one or two times, they shouldn't even be selling it. Or stick to more durable toys like bouncy balls or stuffed animals. After a couple of tries if a parent is going to purchase the toy it should go into a shopping basket until it has been paid for and not allow the child to mindlessly wander around the store playing with it or throwing it about.

I think our main disagreement is what we saw on the show. As I said, there was one child who dropped a toy (it was accidental), and while the program may have shown a lot of disarray in the toy aisle, I'm not convinced that kids are running wild in there all day long.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    julie2009 wrote: »
    Love the person who is the manager of their Liverpool store
    Mr Will Smith. I couldn't stop laughing when he was quizzing the two kids about shoplifting and they said their mums would shout at them. Poor Will didn't know what to do.
    I think those kids know how to play it.

Love the smiley faces which cover people's faces and also the guy who stole the Vanish tub and something else and the smiley face turned to a sad face.

BIB : :D:D:D:D:D this bit really made me laugh when i watched it
  • Options
    scooby76scooby76 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    that computerized system in the warehouse was mental. I could not understand that, it was like a "Speak-n-Spell" on Red Bull.:o

I use a similar system at my place of work, and it is adjustable; ours has a male/female voice and you can change the tone and speed at which the system responds.
    You set it so you can accurately hear what is said. It's not as bad as it seemed on the show!
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member

I do agree in principle that parents need to mind their kids when shopping. Bear in mind that a lot of pound shop tat is cheap and probably doesn't take much to break.

I caught this gem too:

"The team is often so busy they don't have to time to go out and buy lunch." I hope that doesn't mean they don't get their breaks which are due to them by law, you don't get a break because your boss feels like being nice, you get one because it's mandated when you work a certain number of hours. It wouldn't surprise me if they deliberately employ part-time staff because they get fewer breaks.

Part time workers still get the same breaks as full time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure they do have items that are damaged in the store, but I've been in shops where it's teenagers who are mucking around with stuff (yes, even toys intended for small children). I already said I agree that parents should mind their children while shopping. But if toys are being sold in minimal packaging, kids are going to try them out, it's only natural. If a toy breaks after trying it one or two times, they shouldn't even be selling it. Or stick to more durable toys like bouncy balls or stuffed animals. After a couple of tries if a parent is going to purchase the toy it should go into a shopping basket until it has been paid for and not allow the child to mindlessly wander around the store playing with it or throwing it about.

I think our main disagreement is what we saw on the show. As I said, there was one child who dropped a toy (it was accidental), and while the program may have shown a lot of disarray in the toy aisle, I'm not convinced that kids are running wild in there all day long.
    What generally happens is the parent go in, let their kids play with whatever they want as long as it keeps them occupied for the duration of the shop, then once in the que, what ever the kid was playing with gets taken off them and dumped wherever they happen to be, the kid then starts crying, and everyone in the que starts to get annoyed at the disturbance the kid, and the parent are causing as she does stuff on her phone, while shouting at her kid to shut up.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    What generally happens is the parent go in, let their kids play with whatever they want as long as it keeps them occupied for the duration of the shop, then once in the que, what ever the kid was playing with gets taken off them and dumped wherever they happen to be, the kid then starts crying, and everyone in the que starts to get annoyed at the disturbance the kid, and the parent are causing as she does stuff on her phone, while shouting at her kid to shut up.;-)

Are the kids named Liza-Mae and Jayden? :D Or Chardonnay? Twins maybe.. Lambrini and Bailey?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Anyone got any idea why ep3 (Crime Spree) seems to of been pulled from iPlayer? I'm sure I saw it listed yesterday morning, but now it just says coming soon and only the first 2 are available.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03w7vth/Pound_Shop_Wars_Series_1_1_Crime_Spree/
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was so inclined to shoplift from any £1/99p store.......i know i'd have really hit rock bottom!
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part time workers still get the same breaks as full time.
    If their work hours amount to less than 5hrs in a day, i believe they aren't legally entitled to any break.......hence one of the the reasons some employers will employ two part time workers in place of a full time worker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    If their work hours amount to less than 5hrs in a day, i believe they aren't legally entitled to any break.......hence one of the the reasons some employers will employ two part time workers in place of a full time worker.
    If they work more than 4 hours they are entitled to a break, however that isnt the main reasoning behind part time staff.
    If you have a choice of 3 staff on 13 hours per week, or 1 staff on 39 hours, you would choose 3 13 hour staff members, why?
    Because, if the 39 hour staff member phones in sick, it could cripple the business, where as if the 13 hour person phoned in sick, it wont have as much of a dent in the rota, plus you can say only 2 staff can take holidays at any one time, meaning you can have more staff in more of the time, plus as you say, 3 staff in taking over from each other one after each other, dont require a break.;-)
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    If they work more than 4 hours they are entitled to a break, however that isnt the main reasoning behind part time staff.
    If you have a choice of 3 staff on 13 hours per week, or 1 staff on 39 hours, you would choose 3 13 hour staff members, why?
    Because, if the 39 hour staff member phones in sick, it could cripple the business, where as if the 13 hour person phoned in sick, it wont have as much of a dent in the rota, plus you can say only 2 staff can take holidays at any one time, meaning you can have more staff in more of the time, plus as you say, 3 staff in taking over from each other one after each other, dont require a break.;-)

It's over six hours for a 20 minute break. Under 18s get 30 minutes if they work over 4.5 hours.