Options

How I Met Your Mother

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    frost wrote: »
    Then for nine seasons you seemed to have missed the show telling you over and over that the love of Ted's life was Robin.

The Mother was someone he loved and had kids with, about who's overall fate seemed clearer season after season...

It was made very clear in more than one episode that the mother was the love of his life, and only really in the last episode was this undone. The mother's fate didn't really become clear until Season 8 ("Time Travelers"), and even then it was only a hint. I'd really like to hear your evidence that the mother was going to die from earlier seasons...
    Well, the show was called "How I met your Mother". which we saw. We saw how Ted grew and changed over the eyars and how those changes forged his life and relationships into the path of meeting the Mother of teh kids.

The show never promised it was "how I met your mother, fell in love with her and lived happily ever after..." A premise which as I said above, seemed less and less likely every season just by watching the episodes.

Granted, but as stated in the final episode, the story wasn't really about how he met their mother, it was about how he was still in love with Robin.
  • Options
    Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frost wrote: »
    Well, the show was called "How I met your Mother". which we saw. We saw how Ted grew and changed over the eyars and how those changes forged his life and relationships into the path of meeting the Mother of teh kids.

Nope we didn't see any growth from Ted at all. We went out at the same point we came in, him and that flaming French Horn, panting after Robin. I bet he was even wearing the red boots.
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I'd really like to hear your evidence that the mother was going to die from earlier seasons...

The only hint I remember was the season before the final, during the ep where Ted and Barney met the Future Teds and Future Barneys, and at the end of it he went to the Mother's flat and told her he wanted the extra 48 days with her, or whatever time it was.
    Which, of course, wasn't in "real time" and therefore was a lot longer than "a few minutes".

Ah, but I said they were divorced a few minutes into the next episode, not a few minutes after they got married. We didn't watch in real time, remember?
  • Options
    rachpidrachpid Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I felt like we could have had at least one more episode after the wedding. They did all that work to make us fall in love with the mother at the same time as Ted (and I did love her character - she was such a good casting) and then that was it - she died off screen! We didn't even get a death bed/funeral or anything to show Ted saying goodbye. When I heard how it ended (and it was impossible to avoid the spoilers beforehand!) I was expecting classic HIMYM laughs and tears (god how I've wept at the show in the past) and on the tears front I got nothing. The only part that raised a sniff from me was Barney and his daughter.

As for the ending - it really felt like what it was - a scene they filmed years ago (and the back and forth between Ted and the kids was very obvious) and now had to use, despite the story veering off in a different way.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    Off on a tangent slightly, but even that "goodbye" show (whatever it was called) was a bit crap too. None of the stars; only Teds exes. They were nice enough, of course, but what a complete waste of time really.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off on a tangent slightly, but even that "goodbye" show (whatever it was called) was a bit crap too. None of the stars; only Teds exes. They were nice enough, of course, but what a complete waste of time really.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but it looked like a US programme that E4 had made to look like they produced it.

I think all the interviews were from another programme, and E4 then took them and edited it together with a British host on the set and pretending to be the one asking the questions. I don’t think he was actually interviewing them, they just recorded him asking the questions and then edited it to make it look like he was in the room with them. That’s my take on it.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WiganUser1 wrote: »
    Have to say, didn't enjoy this series at all!!
    I did. Finale aside, it was vastly better than the previous two seasons, which had become very weak. I enjoyed all the shout-outs to previous stories and characters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but it looked like a US programme that E4 had made to look like they produced it.

I think all the interviews were from another programme, and E4 then took them and edited it together with a British host on the set and pretending to be the one asking the questions. I don’t think he was actually interviewing them, they just recorded him asking the questions and then edited it to make it look like he was in the room with them. That’s my take on it.
    Thinking about it, that actually sounds plausible to me. Can't say for sure though. No idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »

This is exactly what I thought too.
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    We went out at the same point we came in, him and that flaming French Horn, panting after Robin.

Because from the first episode to the last, robin was who he really wanted. Why do you think that after 9 series of wanting to get married, he then took 7 years to actually get married himself after meeting the mother?
    I bet he was even wearing the red boots.

Thankfully those boots were destroyed in season 8 ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Just seen the alternate ending - much better. Plus it features Bob Saget, it annoyed me that they didn't use him in the finale seeing as he was a big part of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stripes85 wrote: »
    Just seen the alternate ending - much better. Plus it features Bob Saget, it annoyed me that they didn't use him in the finale seeing as he was a big part of the show.

The only problem with thinking of the alternate ending as the real ending is that it doesn't explain why Ted was crying at dinner with Tracy.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    The only problem with thinking of the alternate ending as the real ending is that it doesn't explain why Ted was crying at dinner with Tracy.

Even if it left unanswered questions I still would have preferred the alternate ending. The real one made me angry at the time (which is silly I know), and then when I saw the alternate last night I was even angrier because it was so much better and should have been used >:(
  • Options
    LeMarchandLeMarchand Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst looking for the alternative ending on YouTube, I learned that even Hitler hated the acual finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84WTdDbQw1I.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LeMarchand wrote: »
    Whilst looking for the alternative ending on YouTube, I learned that even Hitler hated the acual finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84WTdDbQw1I.

LOL I watched without sound and the subtitles fitted perfectly with the action. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The "alternate" ending was, basically, blindingly obvious 'writing 101' (as they say in the US ;))

I kinda like that they went with something a little bit different.

And it's been a while since that meme was last seen. Where's a "yawn" smiley when you need it? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The "alternate" ending was, basically, blindingly obvious 'writing 101' (as they say in the US ;))

I kinda like that they went with something a little bit different.

And it's been a while since that meme was last seen. Where's a "yawn" smiley when you need it? :p

Oh come on, it's a romantic comedy. I didn't watch nine seasons of it for a twist ending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fair point. I was only making a comment :)
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also find that Lily is a similarly horrible person to Ted. The episode where I get most frustrated with both characters is when Lily has a huge tantrum because Ted brings a date to her birthday, both characters annoy me in that episode. On many occasions Lily is incredibly manipulative and demands to get her own way, as well as being very rude to Barney. Marshall could have done so much better than Lily
  • Options
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    I also find that Lily is a similarly horrible person to Ted. The episode where I get most frustrated with both characters is when Lily has a huge tantrum because Ted brings a date to her birthday, both characters annoy me in that episode. On many occasions Lily is incredibly manipulative and demands to get her own way, as well as being very rude to Barney. Marshall could have done so much better than Lily

I think we were supposed to think that about her. Wasn't it revealed in one of the eps after Marshall and Lily broke up, when he started dating another girl, that the reason he couldn't see Crazy Eyes in women was because he was already with the woman with the Craziest Eyes.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the record, I think that seasons 1, 4, 5 and 6 are the classic seasons of HIMYM