Bring Back Borstal - ITV1 - Thurs - 2100

Comments

• mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kyran is the blue-eyed boy of the series as he was on TM with The Governor....
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    "Fight and then shake hand afterward, that how it happens in real life."

No, that just happening in your sad little world of being a nasty shortarse thug!

In the decent world, it doesn't happen.
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two Scouser Brothers are terrible. They do come across as bullies.
    Forum Member
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    The two Scouser Brothers are terrible. They do come across as bullies.

That's what they are!

Their poor little brains can't understand anyone who doesn't fight them as that's how you deal with things in their silly little world.

They actually think you win an argument based on whether you win the fight or not. How retarded is that? (And I use that strong word meaningfully)
    Forum Member
    The trouble is that the Kearneys will not feel one bit of shame as they should but will instead have loads of silly little girls telling them how wonderful they were.

They just will not learn.
    Forum Member
    The one that loved his time there and was quite wasn't feature much in the programme at all. Just shows that this is reality TV like The Only Way Is Essex.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There should be a follow up to see if they have actually kept a job
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    There should be a follow up to see if they have actually kept a job

Hopefully we get an update at the end.
    Forum Member
    Ah! So now I know why I'm not offered a job on a plate; I haven't got a criminal record!

So I just have to keep taking the punishment the jobcentre dishes out with no sign of my reprieve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A pity the prof spoke bad English.... There was a glaring grammar mistake in the "he don't" mode :o:o
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Was there no update for Burnaston? He seemed the most genuine bloke by the end, especially when he was painting that bandstand thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Hopefully we get an update at the end.

We got a sort of one, but how long after was it?
  • Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Was there no update for Burnaston? He seemed the most genuine bloke by the end, especially when he was painting that bandstand thing.

most genuine? i couldn't warm to him throughout the series, came across as a total div in his strange little smug manner he had going on.... each to their own

HOWEVER he stuck it out so hat off to him and hope he does well in life. :)
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you kidding, he was awful.

The Liverpudlians should never have been put in together. They also need to learn the meaning of bully. Just because it never got physical doesn't mean it's not bullying.

Pleased for the ones who wanted to do well and got offers.
  • AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Ah! So now I know why I'm not offered a job on a plate; I haven't got a criminal record!

So I just have to keep taking the punishment the jobcentre dishes out with no sign of my reprieve.

I think the producers were abligated to the participants that completed the program, to provide duty of care. I knew a volunteer for Bad Lads Army, who, no employer would touch with a barge pole for over a year after it aired. That was pre credit crunch, global economic crisis, when jobs were plentiful, the poor sod.
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the fact that one of the boys who left in ep 1 came back in the final ep. I am no more a bleeding heart liberal than most of the posters on this thread, but something about his character appealed to me and I was willing him on for the whole of last night's episode (and on into the future).

Of course the 'Borstal' depicted in this programme was not as harsh as the real Borstal but I don't quite see why the Governor is so vilified on this thread. He seemed genuine in his desire to help these lads become useful law-abiding members of society, and teaching them self-discipline, giving them opportunities to be part of the community, teaching them work skills, and introducing them to employers who are willing to take on people with criminal records are all positive steps in my opinion.

I missed the very beginning of ep 1. Given how easily so many walked out of the programme, I am amazed any of them consented to wear those demeaning shorts!
  • IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    The last episode was the only one I watched and quite enjoyed it but I have a question.
    How 'real' was this programme as most of the featured lads seemed to me to look like good looking models.
    Not complaining about that for sure but were they picked for a reason?
    For example the one who liked to cook and got a trail in a London hotel. Are we going to see him in a 'Young Masterchef' or something down the line or were they all genuine young offenders.
    Anyways, I wish them all the best if their future lives whatever they do. :)
    Forum Member
    IRITALIA wrote: »
    The last episode was the only one I watched and quite enjoyed it but I have a question.
    How 'real' was this programme as most of the featured lads seemed to me to look like good looking models.
    For example the one who liked to cook and got a trail in a London hotel. Are we going to see him in a 'Young Masterchef' or something down the line or were they all genuine young offenders.

I don't think he'll make it on Young Masterchef, he's now 22, also you should have seen the first two. The only models some of the early drop outs resembled where Airfix kits, ie, they arrived in bits and required a great deal of patience to try and put them back together.
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anonandon wrote: »
    I don't think he'll make it on Young Masterchef, he's now 22, also you should have seen the first two. The only models some of the early drop outs resembled where Airfix kits, ie, they arrived in bits and required a great deal of patience to try and put them back together.

Plus the good looking one with aspirations of becoming a chef couldn't apply himself to anything if his life depended on it. If he doesn't watch himself, the only cooking he will be doing, if he's lucky, will be in a prison kitchen.
  • IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    Avi8 wrote: »
    Plus the good looking one with aspirations of becoming a chef couldn't apply himself to anything if his life depended on it. If he doesn't watch himself, the only cooking he will be doing, if he's lucky, will be in a prison kitchen.

Thanks, now I know. I will watch the other episodes on catch-up to get a better idea.
    Just wasn't sure if like TOWIE or Chelsea, etc., they were being 'groomed' for something else in the future. :)
  • gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone remember Bad Lad's Army some years back?

It's that.

oh yes i remember that
  • gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    I grew up in Liverpool in the 60s never heard of The Guardian at that point though I was well aware of corporal punishments and how it didn't work, same with Borstal.

and i wonder why kids today are far more aggresive today and rude, violent arrogent and no respect than they were in corperate punishing days hmmm and im young myself btw before you jump on the old fasion card.
    Forum Member
    I think the producers were abligated to the participants that completed the program, to provide duty of care. I knew a volunteer for Bad Lads Army, who, no employer would touch with a barge pole for over a year after it aired. That was pre credit crunch, global economic crisis, when jobs were plentiful, the poor sod.
    gentleguy wrote: »
    oh yes i remember that
    See post#216
  • DS-GuyDS-Guy Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    IRITALIA wrote: »
    yes the last episode was better than the other 3! the Governor actually maned up some what he should have done that from day one. As for models being used i don't think so these
    were lads that had genuine convictions and some had already been to the comfy holiday style prisons of today!
  • DS-GuyDS-Guy Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    gentleguy wrote: »
    and i wonder why kids today are far more aggresive today and ru;de, violent arrogent and no respect than they were in corperate punishing days hmmm and im young myself btw before you jump on the old fasion card.
    So true
    genleguy but will say discipline does work and that's where this country has gone wrong teachers can't even shout at the pupils in todays schools for fear of what may happen to them from the parents and the authorities the whole system wants looking at again :)