Fifth Harmony Discussion Thread

Comments

• Melissa.Melissa. Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wish I gave these girls a chance beforehand. Had another listen to the album, it's a solid debut for sure.

Like Mariah has grown on me so much. But Tyga's verse is so not needed. Everlasting love is such a throwback 90s Destinys Child it's great.

We know still gets me so emotional. The vocals and lyrics describe everything a girl goes through.

Not here for BHB though. Really thought it would have been better due to the Meghan collab.

Top Down needs to be a single. What a funky track. Lauren's vocals on "baby youre mine tonight" and Dinah's vocals on "ain't got a lotta of money
    but I got a lotta style" though. :blush:
  • Melissa.Melissa. Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think everyone should post sales estimates for the first week.

I predict 60K-80K.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Like Mariah and Everlasting Love are my favourites. Followed closely by Top Down, I do like BHB too. The iTunes Radio stream has been lowered so people who do rip the stream will get a lower quality version so I'm looking forwards to the album release on the 3rd!

Plus, if you have a listen to the studio versions of Bo$$, Sledgehammer and Worth It they said a lot louder and fine tuned than the Itunes Radio versions.

I'm guessing Like Mariah will be the next single.
  • luner_45luner_45 Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    My predication for first week sales are between 80k - 100k. Since there is approximately 30k-40k in pre-orders and the streams in itunes radio count towards sales I think this is a reasonable amount. The promo has to be good for the release week otherwise i'd be so pissed at Epic. If they do have shitty promo for the album then I'm gonna lower it down to 60k - 80k. 60k is the minimum for me. It has to at least double the Better Together EP first week sales.
    Forum Member
    Rolling Stone gave Reflection a 3.5/5
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    JustArun wrote: »
    Rolling Stone gave Reflection a 3.5/5

So far it's the only relevant review I've read.

On first listen I had thought there were a couple of tracks off the album that could be candidates as future singles, Top Down wasn't one of them. But here's the odd thing. I can't seem to get the chorus outta my head! All day yesterday "We'll be cruisin with the top dowwn!" was playing in my head and this morning I woke to the same thing...and it continues. It's now become one if not the favorite track off Reflection.

I wonder how many folks know the difference between a sine wave and a square wave, and what each means to the quality of music? There's a reason vinyl is making a comeback. :cool:

Data compression and packetized data (bit streaming) both contribute to the loss of fidelity in music. Those ripping or pirating music get to hear the songs but the quality will never be the same as that on a CD, or better yet vinyl. Putting the obvious biases aside that many have, reviewing Reflection off a rip or stream, or commenting on vocals from the same should not be taken too seriously. The speaker system used also makes a huge difference in one's experience. Lastly getting back to biases, many of the reviews and comments I've read here and elsewhere come with built in filters and whether those filters are in place consciously or subconsciously, they exist and to me are quite evident. As I said in an earlier post, there are only a handful of reviews I'll take seriously, Rolling Stone being the first. Play on...
    Forum Member
    Melissa. wrote: »
    I really wish I gave these girls a chance beforehand. Had another listen to the album, it's a solid debut for sure.

Like Mariah has grown on me so much. But Tyga's verse is so not needed. Everlasting love is such a throwback 90s Destinys Child it's great.

We know still gets me so emotional. The vocals and lyrics describe everything a girl goes through.

Not here for BHB though. Really thought it would have been better due to the Meghan collab.

Top Down needs to be a single. What a funky track. Lauren's vocals on "baby youre mine tonight" and Dinah's vocals on "ain't got a lotta of money
    but I got a lotta style" though. :blush:

Yes, "funky", that's the word I was looking for! Funk making a comeback? :D
    Forum Member
    Sledgehammer has gone Gold
    Forum Member
    JustArun beat me to it. That makes 3/3 of 5H's singles have gone gold in the US. Impressive.
    Also since Rolling stones have incredibly high standards, I'm glad they managed to get 3.5/5. Hell I'm glad they even reviewed the album at all. lol
    Forum Member
    luner_45 wrote: »
    JustArun beat me to it. That makes 3/3 of 5H's singles have gone gold in the US. Impressive.
    Also since Rolling stones have incredibly high standards, I'm glad they managed to get 3.5/5. Hell I'm glad they even reviewed the album at all. lol

Impressive compared to who, Cimorelli? Come back when they have a Platinum single, that will be worth gloating over. :D
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Really loving Reflection, probably my favourite debut girlgroup album since Girlicious.
    Forum Member
    Worth it is the third single and its impacting US Rhythmic Radio on March 3rd 2015.
    http://www.allaccess.com/top40-rhythmic/future-releases

Sigh* Epic must've saw Worth it debut on the hot 100 this week @ #82 and probably though "Hey! This could be single worthy"
    I hate their management and label. I really wanted the 3rd single to be Like Mariah, Top Down, or TIHWR. Ridiculous.
    Oh well, maybe Worth it could be like Don't Tell em and become a crossover smash on both Rhythmic and Pop radio .

Sledgehammer still has a good month before the campaign for Worth it begins, maybe it could get a new peak past #40. I don't believe Worth it will go platinum though, its a safe single b/c it blends in with all of Jason Derulo's singles & the trap music trend that's going on at the moment. If anything it'll probably become the girls 4th gold single and that's it. I'd love to be proven wrong though. I just think its time the girls start settling for Platinum singles that could go into the top 20 or 10 on the Hot 100.
  • ShaynaJayShaynaJay Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Damn, it's def not a fave. I was hoping they would've gone for Reflection, Top Down (even though it isn't one of my faves but I think it could've been a fun video for them) or Everlasting love for the the next single. I would assume this album may give one more single after Worth It (unless they repackage it and re-release the album near Christmas might get more), and hope they make the next one is a real banger.

Question/Possible theory: Are they releasing Worth It as a single to help promo Kid Ink too? He had a new album drop very recently so it could make a bit of sense. He does a verse on the song and in return 5H have it as a single to do some cross promo work. Crossing over the fanbases and crossing into promo opportunities- idk about this last one really. (He is signed to RCA, a Sony Music subsidery just like EPIC)
  • Ali_D2Ali_D2 Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaynaJay wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure you got what I meant and just picked out one bit of what was said. I didn't mean because of her solos Camila went to hospital, emotional stress can cause physical stress (and vice versa) sometimes the constant work is what causes one or the other and causes a chain effect. I just hope during this tour and everything from this era their downtime etc is managed better.

I don't get why fans think they are (or were) slacking off, they were basically non stop from the NLT onwards, so they deserved all that time to themselves over xmas/earlier this year (I assume that's what they are complaining about), they are young and not a damn disney product so the relentless schedule should equal them getting a decent break for themselves. All I meant in regards to what I was talking about was because of the heavy load (vocally) Camila has on the album it could catch up to her (vocals wearing thin, stress on her vocal cords etc) and hopefully if she is gonna maintain that heavy load during the tour, they have a set list that gives her a small break here and there OR like I said they may just redistribute some of her mains (more during choruses or bridges, pre-chorus than her solo verses)- granted if they do this then there is no reason it could've been distributed this way on the album.

My bad on the age thing though...

I think as long as she is using the right singing techniques, she should be fine, Ariana Grande really suffers from singing from her throat rather than her diaphragm. But i totally understand your perspective :) And agree about their breaks, they really do work hard, i think fans just want them to keep striving for the best, they're young and humble, i'm sure they'll get there soon, hopefully after the album release!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    luner_45 wrote: »

I for one am thrilled about both points :D.

Also Adele's "21" album, aka MAH LYFE, got a 3.5 rating from RS as well ^_^ so i'm content!
    Forum Member
    ^^ Damn, it's def not a fave. I was hoping they would've gone for Reflection, Top Down (even though it isn't one of my faves but I think it could've been a fun video for them) or Everlasting love for the the next single. I would assume this album may give one more single after Worth It (unless they repackage it and re-release the album near Christmas might get more), and hope they make the next one is a real banger.

Question/Possible theory: Are they releasing Worth It as a single to help promo Kid Ink too? He had a new album drop very recently so it could make a bit of sense. He does a verse on the song and in return 5H have it as a single to do some cross promo work. Crossing over the fanbases and crossing into promo opportunities- idk about this last one really. (He is signed to RCA, a Sony Music subsidery just like EPIC)

Kid Ink's album drops Feb 3, head to head with Reflection. :)

http://www.allaccess.com/top40-mainstream/future-releases

I'm actually curious to know when Worth It was first recorded. Early 2013 a photo of one of the girls listening to a Kid Ink track posted online around the time they were in studio. Makes me wonder about the timeline?

Your theory makes sense, more so if Worth It does well, a win-win. The first time I listened to the track I envisioned both performing together on a big stage. Would love to see it happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody else get a Fifth Harmony "reflection" advertisement on DS :p I hope it's not just on this thread because its 5H related!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a good theory, very possible imo. I really like worth it, i think it will be a fine single.
  • ShaynaJayShaynaJay Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsDirect wrote: »
    Kid Ink's album drops Feb 3, head to head with Reflection. :)

http://www.allaccess.com/top40-mainstream/future-releases

I'm actually curious to know when Worth It was first recorded. Early 2013 a photo of one of the girls listening to a Kid Ink track posted online around the time they were in studio. Makes me wonder about the timeline?

Your theory makes sense, more so if Worth It does well, a win-win. The first time I listened to the track I envisioned both performing together on a big stage. Would love to see it happen.

Oh I read in an atrl thread the album was already out lol but I guess that might've been an earlier release in another country, or a leak........or many other possibilities.

Maybe early 2013 was when the idea was first put to them and/or their A&R? Seems a mighty long time ago for it to still make the final cut but either they really liked it or maybe rerecorded it at a later date, and were originally just working on the demo early stages?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't think this has been posted yet.
    Kid Ink Interview at The Breakfast Club Power 105.1 (1/23/2015)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQecUazHNyI&feature=youtu.be

He talks about his collab with 5H At 7:25
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taylor Swift liked a gif set of the girls billboard photoshoot on tumblr, awhile back she liked a picture of Lauren. Me think taylor has a girl crush, who could blame her ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fifth Harmony: Billboard Photo Shoot + Q&A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poh5V3avkZo&feature=youtu.be

Fifth Harmony Share Little-Known Secrets About Each Other
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu9QtSKnN9Q

Fifth Harmony Tries Australian Accents with Alli Simpson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsuJzxWnsu4&feature=youtu.be
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    I <3 top down

edit: Have people been reading all the youtube comments for the album songs? They is SO much hate that Camila basically has all the solo parts and all the other girls are getting pushed aside, especially Lauren.. Are we going to see a repeat of Nicole Scherzinger ft. The Pussycat Dolls?
    Forum Member
    I think we hear a fair bit of Ally, Normani and Dinah on this album. I do agree there is an absence of Lauren on a lot of tracks
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    I <3 top down

edit: Have people been reading all the youtube comments for the album songs? They is SO much hate that Camila basically has all the solo parts and all the other girls are getting pushed aside, especially Lauren.. Are we going to see a repeat of Nicole Scherzinger ft. The Pussycat Dolls?

No because on every single that the Pussycat Dolls released it was only Nicole who sung. Melody got to do the odd add lib, but apart from that it was all Nicole.