Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would do this but no one else I know is interested in doing any exercise/classes etc so there is no one to partner up with.

I very rarely eat cos I am hungry, I normally eat because I fancy the taste of something.

What about on line support, I find this thread really helpful, so helpful we are buying an exercise bike shortly as we are both so enthused with the support here we think we may just be able to do this !!
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    What about on line support, I find this thread really helpful, so helpful we are buying an exercise bike shortly as we are both so enthused with the support here we think we may just be able to do this !!

Loads of exercise bikes for cheap prices on gumtree and ebay, often for a fraction of the new price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes we are debating whether we can transport one though, sometimes as we in a flat it's easier to buy new and get things delivered rather than rupture ourselves trying to get stuff up the stairs !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's balance I have difficulty with most, so sitting is fine. I used a chair based cycle machine for a while to keep my circulation going and never had a problem. I never go mad at anything I will be taking it easy and building up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been attempting to diet since January. I have failed miserably, to the point that I got fed up and gorged on food for the last month and as a consequence am now a stone heavier than I was in January.

My problem seems to be motivation, especially when the weather is miserable outside. Since the weather turned good these last few days I have found found my mood improving and it has been easier to eat better.

I started my healthy eating again on tuesday, weighing in at 17st 5... the heaviest that I have ever been (I will admit that I am disgusted at myself). Ideally I would like to lose 7 stone in total, but I know this is a big challenge and will take me a while.

I have a job that involves a fair amount of walking each day (I am on my feet approximately 8 hours per day), but apart from that I am unable to do much exercise (perhaps a walk on each of my days off) due to damage to my leg... anything more than walking creates too much pain in my leg... I am hoping that with some weight loss, the pain in my leg may decrease.

Due to my working pattern, I tend to have my breakfast at 10am, main meal at 3pm and then something light for tea at about 9:30pm when I get home. This seems to be working out alright for me at the moment, but I am struggling to find simple light options for tea when I get home (I dont really want to be cooking for ages after I get home at 9:30). Does anyone have any ideas? At the moment I tend to be eating things like poached eggs on a toasted muffin, or even beans on wholemeal toast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been attempting to diet since January.

I have a job that involves a fair amount of walking each day

Due to my working pattern, I tend to have my breakfast at 10am, main meal at 3pm and then something light for tea at about 9:30pm when I get home. This seems to be working out alright for me at the moment, but I am struggling to find simple light options for tea when I get home (I dont really want to be cooking for ages after I get home at 9:30). Does anyone have any ideas? At the moment I tend to be eating things like poached eggs on a toasted muffin, or even beans on wholemeal toast.

Walking's good but not as important as food.

5 meals are better than 3.

toasted muffin, beans on wholemeal toast are bad things. :mad:

Limit yourself on the bread max 1 slice a day. Cut out potatoes, chips and crisps (buy sweet potatoes instead)

Don't eat pasta or just have a little brown rice or better still make cauliflower rice, it's really good.
    Eat more veggies, raw carrots make great snacks with unsalted/unsweetened natural peanut butter.
    Don't buy any processed or low fat/diet/slim labelled food
    Buy fresh full fat if you can.
    Eat plenty of meat and don't be scared of fat (it's a myth).

Eat fat to lose fat actually works.

Fresh fish is great too.

Don't eat too much fruit.

if you drink pop drinks coke or orange juice stop now and change to tap water. It's way better for you.

Cut out sugary and artificially sweetened and starchy foods.

You won't be hungry but you will be thirsty so keep drinking which will help you actually lose your carbo loaded water retention and watch the kilo's drop away by magic!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing is a bad food, if you count calories and control portion size no food should really be forbidden or considered bad. I cut out sugar and keep down carbs due to my health problems but they are not bad for everyone.

Poached egg on toast is my breakfast most days and I am losing fairly consistantly so toast isn't bad especially wholemeal. Beans are OK if you count them into your plan for the day, I can't have them because of the sugar but no need to stop if you are not diabetic.
    Forum Member

Sainsbury's Vegetable Chilli is a goodly amount of food per tin, but few calories.

Salads can help bulk out meals without too many calories, including low fat dressing if you prefer.

Pickles often have few calories and quite a lot of flavour.

Rice cakes are a low calorie snack. Well cooked butter beans can be a nice snack and can be kept in the fridge.

Many vegetable curries can be quite low calorie if you cook them without the fat.

Stewed vegetables can help, e.g. mushrooms and courgettes with garlic and mixed herbs carefully stewed in water.

Steamed vegetables can help, e.g. steamed carrots, parsnips, cauliflower and broccoli taste nice (YMMV!) and can bulk out a meal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MEW TOWN wrote: »

Limit yourself on the bread max 1 slice a day. Cut out potatoes, chips and crisps (buy sweet potatoes instead)

Don't eat pasta or just have a little brown rice or better still make cauliflower rice, it's really good.

Thanks for the advice, but I am not undertaking that sort of diet where I am cutting foods from my diet completely.

There is nothing wrong with things in moderation.

It is not possible for me to eat 5 meals a day instead of 3 due to my working pattern.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing is a bad food, if you count calories and control portion size no food should really be forbidden or considered bad. I cut out sugar and keep down carbs due to my health problems but they are not bad for everyone.

Poached egg on toast is my breakfast most days and I am losing fairly consistantly so toast isn't bad especially wholemeal. Beans are OK if you count them into your plan for the day, I can't have them because of the sugar but no need to stop if you are not diabetic.

Hi, I have been including the beans into my plan for the day... but my tea options are getting a little bit tedious now... There's only so many times you can swap beans for spaghetti hoops!

I don't class certain foods as bad either... I am just learning to control how much I eat them rather than cutting them out of my diet completely.
    Forum Member
    It is not possible for me to eat 5 meals a day instead of 3 due to my working pattern.

When I'm at work I give myself multiple meals during the working day just by splitting up my food. E.g. if I have two sandwiches and an apple, I'll eat one sandwich for an early lunch, one sandwich for a later lunch, and the apple for a late afternoon snack. That seemed to help me spread my lunch over the day so that I didn't feel hungry. Without any extra preparation time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I have been including the beans into my plan for the day... but my tea options are getting a little bit tedious now... There's only so many times you can swap beans for spaghetti hoops!

I don't class certain foods as bad either... I am just learning to control how much I eat them rather than cutting them out of my diet completely.

Sure thing. You know want you want to do and what's best for you.

It's not a diet though, just a change of lifestyle where we'd never go back.
    We've never felt and looked so good and no pain either.
    Just spreading the word. If people really do want to lose weight and feel good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    When I'm at work I give myself multiple meals during the working day just by splitting up my food. E.g. if I have two sandwiches and an apple, I'll eat one sandwich for an early lunch, one sandwich for a later lunch, and the apple for a late afternoon snack. That seemed to help me spread my lunch over the day so that I didn't feel hungry. Without any extra preparation time.

I'd love to try that out... really would... but with my job it's difficult to even get time to sit down for lunch, never mind any other stops... I think at best I may be able to squash in time for a quick piece of fruit at another time (other than my lunch).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure thing. You know want you want to do and what's best for you.

It's not a diet though, just a change of lifestyle where we'd never go back.
    We've never felt and looked so good and no pain either.
    Just spreading the word. If people really do want to lose weight and feel good.

A lot of us want to lose weight and feel good and are managing to do that with out so many meals or considering some foods bad. 3 meals are plenty for me I would struggle to find the time for 5 I think I would also feel a bit obsessed with food eating so often each day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Start: 15st 2lb
    Last: 14st 1lb
    Today: 14st Only 1lb gone. Once again disappointed with that.

I've failed to get the extra loss I was hoping for. :mad:

Start: 15st 2lb
    Last: 14st
    Today: 13st 13lb. Only 1lb gone.

Only a 1lb loss but at least I'm consistent I guess and I'm still heading the right way. I dread to think the last time my weight started with 13st..... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done ginger nut and you are getting there too striing so well done to you too.
    Forum Member
    Congratulations Ginger Nut and Striing.

Ginger Nut - 1lb a week might not seem like much, but that's what I've been losing and it certainly adds up over time. You're now less than my pre-Christmas starting weight, though I don't know how tall you are. If you're about the same height as me, then 1lb a week will mirror my weight-loss, which in hindsight I'm very pleased with.

Striing - I note that the British Cheese Board says that cheese can be frozen but may change its texture. Though it may still taste OK. They say that Stilton freezes better than other cheeses. http://www.britishcheese.com/facts/faqs-31 Might be worth a try if you like Stilton.

I've just discovered that a Co-op brand Rich Tea biscuit is claimed on the packet to only have 20kcal per biscuit. OK, they are small, but that's a useful number of calories for a snack that doesn't break the calorie bank. Unlike say flapjacks, which I've discovered have over 400 kcal each. (For the brand I used to eat - I haven't eaten one since I started my diet).
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello can I join please? I need some help and motivation :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I'm trying! A couple of hundred calories a day less forever strangely seems more reasonable that five/six hundred less for a shorter period.

I wanted to ask you something, you mentioned before about eating 25g of cheese a week. Does this mean you end up throwing loads away? I don't eat a lot of cheese (because of migraines) but I do like it occasionally. In the past I used to eat it on consecutive days when I bought it to use it up which isn't very sensible (or nice but I hate waste). Now I'm throwing most of it away. How do you get round that?

I grate my cheese and measure it into portions, then freeze it. Less waste then before !
    Congratulations Ginger Nut and Striing.

Ginger Nut - 1lb a week might not seem like much, but that's what I've been losing and it certainly adds up over time. You're now less than my pre-Christmas starting weight, though I don't know how tall you are. If you're about the same height as me, then 1lb a week will mirror my weight-loss, which in hindsight I'm very pleased with.

Striing - I note that the British Cheese Board says that cheese can be frozen but may change its texture. Though it may still taste OK. They say that Stilton freezes better than other cheeses. http://www.britishcheese.com/facts/faqs-31 Might be worth a try if you like Stilton.

I've just discovered that a Co-op brand Rich Tea biscuit is claimed on the packet to only have 20kcal per biscuit. OK, they are small, but that's a useful number of calories for a snack that doesn't break the calorie bank. Unlike say flapjacks, which I've discovered have over 400 kcal each. (For the brand I used to eat - I haven't eaten one since I started my diet).

Freezing grated cheese is fine, texture seems to remain the same, freezing blocks of cheese is not so good then it goes crumbly and a little dry.
    Sez_babe wrote: »

Absolutely all welcome and good luck !
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »

Welcome from me too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Walking's good but not as important as food.

Eat more veggies, raw carrots make great snacks with unsalted/unsweetened natural peanut butter.
    Don't buy any processed or low fat/diet/slim labelled food
    Buy fresh full fat if you can.
    Eat plenty of meat and don't be scared of fat (it's a myth).

Eat fat to lose fat actually works.

Fresh fish is great too.

if you drink pop drinks coke or orange juice stop now and change to tap water. It's way better for you.

You won't be hungry but you will be thirsty so keep drinking which will help you actually lose your carbo loaded water retention and watch the kilo's drop away by magic!

I do agree with most of the things you've written here but fruits are generally good for you and your body can easily digest that a lot better compared to some more complex sugary foods like a quarter pound cheese hamburger at Mcdonalds. I generally drink fruit smoothies 3 times a day plus half a banana before and after I go to the gym.Carbohydrates generally in plant based foods like fruits contain more soluble fibre but vegetables contain more anti-oxidants but both are fine.

A nice article here for those who exercise (whether its walking,running or lifting weights) on an empty stomach or should exercise on a stomach half full.

http://metabolicprecision.com/BlogRetrieve.aspx?PostID=330724&A=SearchResult&SearchID=5965669&ObjectID=330724&ObjectType=55
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely all welcome and good luck !
    Welcome from me too.

Thank you :)

My target weight loss is 4 stone. I'm going to start tomorrow. I think the main things I need to tackle is portion control and I'm going to give up chocolate because that is my one vice. I don't drink and apart from that I think my diet is OK. I also need to start eating breakfast.

Fingers crossed :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Lost 1/4lb this week. It's only a tiny loss but am pleased as was starting to think the scales were stuck on the same number combination!

My main aim this week is to start 'jogging' and by that I mean I want to jog for 30 sec, walk for a min etc and build up that way. Also want to include more squats and lunges into my workouts to try and target my flabby thighs.

Hope everyone has a good week :)
    Forum Member
    @Sez_babe - do you know how many calories you eat in an average day? I believe that even if you don't plan to lose weight by counting calories, having an idea how much you eat will give you a much better idea of how much you need to change in order to lose weight.

@Sarah0890 - a 1/4 pound is a 1/4 pound. But doing something extra to aid weight loss might help, and slowly and carefully upping exercise sounds a good idea.
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello everyone, i'm 18 and want to lose some weight for before I start University later in the year. I'm about 5,7 or 5,8 and Male.

Weighed this morning and I was 11st 9lb/163 pounds, down from the 12st 3lb/171 pounds I was just over a week ago! :) I've completely cut out chocolate now Easters over, as well as chips, crisps, snacks in general and am currently drinking water 80% of the time.

I would like to get down to about 10 stone, I want to be skinny-ish for possibly the first time in my 18 years! (Although to be fair i've never been more than slightly overweight either.)