Options

The Great Cover Versions Thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torniquet - Drugstore (Slipknot I think)

I think it was Marilyn Manson. I prefer his version of Tainted Love to the original as well.
  • Options
    LargeLarge Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Rockin' All Over The World - Status Quo. Anthem. Originally recorded by John Fogerty (from Creedence)
  • Options
    anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stereophonics handbag and gladrags,
  • Options
    RatinhoRatinho Posts: 5,129
    Forum Member
    Sonic Youth - Superstar

It is infact, so good, that if anyone wants it i'll sort them out. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiona Apple's version of "Across The Universe" is crackin'
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oasis - My generation!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of Tori Amos' cover versions add something new to the original... if I had to pick one of hers, though, it would be Thank You by Led Zepellin.
  • Options
    Hugh JarseHugh Jarse Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Dunno about the best, but by far & away the worst is the Scissor Sisters pathetic version of Comfortably Numb
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie Cullums version of Frontin' rocks.

And can't believe no one has mentioned the awesome Hayseed Dixie and their cover of Snoop's Gin and Juice and REMs It's the end of the world (also do some great AC/DC covers) . :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiona Apple's version of "Across The Universe" is crackin'

As is Rufus Wainwright's.

His covers are quite good but I like his music anyway (as many know)

He did Hallelujah as well, plus he did a cover of Stairway To Paradise which is good.

I like the Scissor sisters' cover of Take Me Out as well. and i've only just heard Le Tigre's version of I'm So Excited by the Pointer Sisters which is brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh Jarse wrote:
    Dunno about the best, but by far & away the worst is the Scissor Sisters pathetic version of Comfortably Numb

Oh for god's sake, everybody slates the SS for that cover but Pink Floyd were actually happy with the cover and thought it was good!

Pink Floyd fans get so pissy about that cover!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Daveydje wrote:
    Jamie Cullums version of Frontin' rocks.

Y'know, I can't stand the little git, but his version of Frontin' s better than the original.

And PF fans get pissy about tat cover, because SS are a novelty act ffs! It's the equivalent of being covered by Steps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nouvelle Vague - Love will tear us apart (Joy Division) The whole NV album is full of great covers in a bossa nova style. Also check out Honeyroot and A1 People covers of the same.

Kate Rogers - Bigmouth strikes again/Climbing up the walls/Here Comes Your Man (Smiths/Radiohead/Pixies). All good!

Johnny Cash - Hurt (Nine Inch Nails)

Flunk - True Faith (another New Order cover off new Sunday Best Recordings comp LP).

Also recommed Hard n Phirms classic medley/mangling of Radiohead classics 'Rodeohead'. Hilarious.
  • Options
    80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    Darius Danesh - baby one more time (britney spears)

can you feel the love in this room :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DNR wrote:
    I think it was Marilyn Manson. I prefer his version of Tainted Love to the original as well.

me too, it's fab, there ias another one of his covers as well i like, i'll have to get back to you, i can't remember at the mo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Anything by Nouvelle Vague (French Band)

They do a mind blowingly loungey version of Too Drunk to F#ck by the Dead Kennedys....

I also heard a cover of Pretty Vacant by a bank called the Kings -somethings, done in a Bluegrass stylee - mental!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oh, i remember now, Marylin Manson - Personal jesus - (i think it was originally done by Depeche Mode?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wheatus: A Little Respect. Loved that, still a staple at parties :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh for god's sake, everybody slates the SS for that cover but Pink Floyd were actually happy with the cover and thought it was good!

Pink Floyd fans get so pissy about that cover!

Whether they approved or not, I'm still allowed an opinion & it's embarrassingly poor. Even my g/f who likes the Scissor Sisters agrees that it's pure sh*te, so you'll just have to get used to it being slated.
  • Options
    FinalBroadcastFinalBroadcast Posts: 3,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Folds Five: Video Killed The Radio Star
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jeff Buckley - Halellujah

Although, I must have mentioned it already , shirley?? :D

Too a lesser extent, Rufus Wainwright's version too.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super wrote:
    Roxy Music's cover of John Lennons Jealous Guy is awesome...
    I agree with that! :)

The Darkness - Street Spirit (Radiohead) is absolutely fantastic, even better when it was live at a show in Germany.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh Jarse wrote:
    Whether they approved or not, I'm still allowed an opinion & it's embarrassingly poor. Even my g/f who likes the Scissor Sisters agrees that it's pure sh*te, so you'll just have to get used to it being slated.

Oh ok, ok. I should've just kept my big mouth shut. But this was a threwad for good covers and hate it, that in every covers thread, good or bad, there is some pissed off Pink Floyd fan complaining about that cover. We all get the point! Pink Floyd fans hate the cover, I think everybody knows that now.

And whoever called SS a novelty act, I guess you just don't know their history or anything. But I don't think they set out to be a novelty act, I think they class themselves as a proper band playing their own instruments and all of that..

But anyway, i'm sorry, I just have a tendency to defend them because I love their music and am a very loyal fan. A bit of a fanatic if you will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh ok, ok. I should've just kept my big mouth shut. But this was a threwad for good covers and hate it, that in every covers thread, good or bad, there is some pissed off Pink Floyd fan complaining about that cover. We all get the point! Pink Floyd fans hate the cover, I think everybody knows that now.

And whoever called SS a novelty act, I guess you just don't know their history or anything. But I don't think they set out to be a novelty act, I think they class themselves as a proper band playing their own instruments and all of that..

But anyway, i'm sorry, I just have a tendency to defend them because I love their music and am a very loyal fan. A bit of a fanatic if you will.

No problem, people should always defend the music they like - each to their own & all that. Being (mostly) a metalhead, I've had to do so all my life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some faves;

Korn - "Word Up" (Cameo)

:D

I would say that is one of the WORST cover versions ever because it is essentially a cover of a cover.

Scottish band 'Gun' did a rock reworking of Word Up in 1994 and it was amazingly good.

Korn's version is seriously nigh on exactly the same as Gun's - only not as good.