Rugby world cup 2015

Comments

• Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    holm85 wrote: »
    It's a much better lineout than RTÉ would have given us - Hook and McGuirk.:cry: Pity though no O'Gara, O'Shea or Horgan. Still though- McNamara is miles better than Ryle and Kinsella is the best rugby journalist in Ireland. I think Stringer will be good as well. I like Stuart Barnes and Matt Williams as well.

You must have it bad over there if you think that Stuart Barnes is good. I think he is awful as he offers little, or even no insight and all he does is state the obvious. Compare this to Moore who will call things how he sees it.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a much better lineout than RTÉ would have given us - Hook and McGuirk.:cry: Pity though no O'Gara, O'Shea or Horgan. Still though- McNamara is miles better than Ryle and Kinsella is the best rugby journalist in Ireland. I think Stringer will be good as well. I like Stuart Barnes and Matt Williams as well.
    TV3 made an absolute mess of RWC 2007 though, very stale and I just switched to ITV... I assume they will just carry ITV/International feed commentary for the vast majority of games so that may keep viewers.
  • chinamugchinamug Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    irishfeen wrote: »
    TV3 made an absolute mess of RWC 2007 though, very stale and I just switched to ITV... I assume they will just carry ITV/International feed commentary for the vast majority of games so that may keep viewers.

UTV Ireland did TV3 a huge favour by not keeping UTV Ulster on UPC. Audiences should be better as many won't have a choice but to watch on TV3. However, there will be huge leakage of audience from households that can Pick up ITV Wales/ UTV Ulster via Aerial or Satellite.
  • pengedragonpengedragon Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do talksport have the radio rights again ?
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do talksport have the radio rights again ?

There's not been an announcement about the UK radio rights yet, although I expect we'll get one by the summer.

I think the expectation is that BBC Radio 5 Live will win back the Rugby World Cup rights this time around, or at least Charles Sale suggested this was the case back in November (that said, he previously reported that 5 Live and talkSPORT could share full, non-exclusive rights as they do with the football World Cup - so you may want to take that with a pinch of salt).
  • holm85holm85 Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Gazza1982 wrote: »
    You must have it bad over there if you think that Stuart Barnes is good. I think he is awful as he offers little, or even no insight and all he does is state the obvious. Compare this to Moore who will call things how he sees it.

I like Moore's insights but he is an infuriating co -commentator. Just like Davies he randomally screams out "NUMBERS!" or "IT'S ON!!".
  • holm85holm85 Posts: 128
    Forum Member

Oh they did alright. I knew they would go for Trevor Brennan 6 months out and lo and behold they did just that and he was dire.

It's hard to compare what they had then with what they have now.

McNamara is miles better than Ryle Nugent and their pundits have potential. I dislike Liam Toland but give me Murray Kinsella over that spoofer Hook any day of the week.
  • Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV3 Ireland offering (outbid RTÉ) - All 48 games, TV3 HD will launch in August

As I understand it TV3 will only be in HD on UPC but not Saorview so I can see many viewers in ROI watching ITV instead if they can receive it.
  • ukdude7ukdude7 Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Hopefully the World Cup TV directors won't be as aggressive with their close ups as the BBC were during the 6 nations. What is it with the vanity of the directors that they are obsessed with behind the try line close ups during the build up to a try at the expense of the viewer being able to see where the try line is? Or the close ups for a try like Jonathan Joseph's against Italy. When he makes the break into space the director is so obsessed with the close up the viewer has no idea if he still has a fullback or defending cover to beat because he/she can't see the rest of the field until the director backs out of the close up with five yards to go.
  • chinamugchinamug Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Oh they did alright. I knew they would go for Trevor Brennan 6 months out and lo and behold they did just that and he was dire.

It's hard to compare what they had then with what they have now.

McNamara is miles better than Ryle Nugent and their pundits have potential. I dislike Liam Toland but give me Murray Kinsella over that spoofer Hook any day of the week.

It's true that their line up of Pundits and McNamara is decent, but if it's not in HD on Saorview, you can be sure most people with Aerial or Freesat will be switching over to ITV HD and they won't switch back for panelists. Plus anytime TV3 have had sport such as the GAA or indeed the rugby it has always felt that they have far more ads than others. I don't know if this is the case or just poor ad placement.
  • OMcOMc Posts: 3,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rugby World Cup 2015: BBC secures live radio rights

Mark Pougatch and Sonja McLaughlan will present extensive coverage of the tournament on BBC Radio 5 live and sports extra, while rugby correspondent Ian Robertson and former England international Matt Dawson lead the live coverage.

In addition, Matt Dawson's Rugby Show will preview and review the action each week throughout the tournament.

Radio Wales coverage will be presented by Rick O'Shea with live commentary from Gareth Charles and Martyn Williams, while Radio Cymru coverage will be presented by Cennydd Davies.

BBC Scotland will have live commentary of all Scotland games and BBC Radio Ulster will bring audiences in Northern Ireland live commentary on all Ireland's games.

All live commentary will also be streamed on the BBC Sport website, BBC Sport app and BBC iPlayer Radio app.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No commentary details as yet (maybe world feed for most but have own commentators for the US games) but NBC will air the final and one of the semi's with the others on Universal Sports.

http://universalsports.com/2015/08/05/universal-sports-network-and-nbc-sports-group-announce-u-s-broadcast-plans-for-irb-rugby-world-cup-2015/

Oh, and S4C announced their line-up earlier in the week http://www.s4c.cymru/e_press_level2.shtml?id=2720
  • OMcOMc Posts: 3,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and S4C announced their line-up earlier in the week http://www.s4c.cymru/e_press_level2.shtml?id=2720

Charlo is conspicuous by his absence there, and I'm surprised by Shane Williams's inclusion as it seemed like ITV wanted him to cover quite a lot of games, including all of Wales's and Japan's games.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMc wrote: »
    Charlo is conspicuous by his absence there,

More than likely he'll be main commentator for Radio Wales, with Cennydd Davies used for Radio Cymru.
  • paulmynachpaulmynach Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    OMc wrote: »
    Charlo is conspicuous by his absence there, and I'm surprised by Shane Williams's inclusion as it seemed like ITV wanted him to cover quite a lot of games, including all of Wales's and Japan's games.

I'd suspect Charlo is BBC contracted and the RWC is either an ITV Wales or freelance production for S4C. The clue is typically Wyn Griffith getting the comms gig. I assume the rest of the S4C familiar faces are freelance.

Shane will probably split the Wales games between ITV and S4C - ITV have Gareth Thomas for their national coverage and ITV Wales will have their own (typically second tier) ex players. Very few Japan games - if any - will clash for Shane to not be able to be on ITV for those.

Another absentee is the Jonathan (Davies) show on S4C - it typically accompanies Wales matches at all times of the year but this time they seem to have a rugby club based mid-week round up 'entertainment' show.

Will be interesting where Jonathan ends up as he's not named as a pundit anywhere yet - and to the best of my knowledge has never done radio? I see he's at London Welsh rugby club for the England v Wales game (with Gareth Thomas) so maybe no takers for his services?
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulmynach wrote: »
    I'd suspect Charlo is BBC contracted and the RWC is either an ITV Wales or freelance production for S4C. The clue is typically Wyn Griffith getting the comms gig.

Yep, Sunset & Vine Cymru are doing the S4C coverage, and Charlo is BBC staff.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scorebar is too near the top of the screen.

Well someone's got to be the first to say it!
  • arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a very nice looking scoreboard but it's position is fine.

Not sure about that RWC graphic though!
  • eastieeastie Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Position of graphics are terrible
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    I like how the graphics are at the top, but being so far in from the left/right edge is silly. No one produce 16:9 / 4:3 separate feeds anymore?
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hook and McGuirk still getting paid til the World Cup is over mind you.

I don't mind McGuirk and Pope and can take or leave Hook.
  • Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=mikey1980;7514234

Eddie Butler has been with the BBC for 20+ years as a reporter, co-commentator and lead commentator. There's zero chance of him being used by ITV, I imagine he will probably be heard on BBC Radio: Bill McClaren used to commentate alongside Ian Robertson on Five Live during World Cups during the 1990's.

.[/QUOTE]

Did I see Eddie Butler in an ITV promo picture?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Did I see Eddie Butler in an ITV promo picture?

Eddie Butler is commentating for ITV Wales
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    The scorebar is too near the top of the screen.

Well someone's got to be the first to say it!
    I've been watching on the old HD Ready LCD in the back room and there's no option to turn off overscan on the set, which means part of the scorebar is not visible.

Usually I think ITV put the score way too low, but they seem to have done the opposite this time! :D
  • MGBCTVMGBCTV Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the score bar set by World Rugby I.e similar to the rules that UEFA have set with EL and CL.