BBC Three move delayed until 2016

omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
Forum Member
✭✭
Broadcast reports that BBC Three's move online has been delayed until next year:
Plans to move BBC3 online have been pushed back until 2016 as the corporation waits for a decision on its proposals from the BBC Trust.

BBC3’s TV operations were originally timetabled to close in the autumn, but the Trust is still conducting a public value test and does not expect to publish preliminary conclusions until June.

BBC3 controller Damian Kavanagh told Broadcast: “Once we have the Trust’s final decision, we’ll start doing more online and in social, building up to a move online-only after Christmas.”
http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/bbc3-move-delayed-until-2016/5086855.article?blocktitle=Top-Stories&contentID=2298

Comments

• Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I should think they will be struggling to fill the schedule with the cancellation of some series and the loss of Family Guy.
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd support keeping a reduced BBC 3 long-term, broadcasting from say 9pm to 1am.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In other words "we haven't a clue how this is going to work without being an embarrassing flop and we need more time to come up with it."
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In other words "we haven't a clue how this is going to work without being an embarrassing flop and we need more time to come up with it."

True like most of what the BBC does they don't like admit BBC 3 like BBC's 6 Music, Asian, 1Xtra all want ditching the BBC can't admit they were wrong in putting these channels on in the first place.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or

a) they have realised that it is a much bigger or complex task than originally envisaged, and that timescales need to slip in order for it to be achievable.

b) they have deduced that a big-bang approach is too risky, and that a more controlled migration over a longer period of time carries less risk.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    I should think they will be struggling to fill the schedule with the cancellation of some series and the loss of Family Guy.
    Probably part of the strategy. Make less people watch the channel, then it's easier to get rid of.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically its going to just be a repeat channel for the rest of the year. They can't have much new stuff commissioned because they were going to close it down. There probably isn't time to commission anything new. And most of the good shows have already been told to switch to BBC One or Two.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Marti S wrote: »
    They can still air reruns until 2017. That will include season 13, which is to air on BBC Two soon. They just can't air season 14 onwards, which is what ITV have the rights to. They will be losing American Dad though.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    True like most of what the BBC does they don't like admit BBC 3 like BBC's 6 Music, Asian, 1Xtra all want ditching the BBC can't admit they were wrong in putting these channels on in the first place.
    They weren't wrong for putting these channels on air at all!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Sounds to me like the consultation had more response than expected and the BBC Trust are taking longer to consider their decision. (Whilst potentially providing cover for the BBC to backtrack or move forwards in a different manner.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like the consultation had more response than expected and the BBC Trust are taking longer to consider their decision.
    Wasn't Summer 2015 always set to be the date for the decision? So nothing has changed in that respect.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the BBC a holding out for a Labour Government which will increase the License Fee?

I hope whoever gets in forces the BBC to go subscription, then we'll see how popular it really is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    i hope whoever gets in forces the BBC to go subscription, then we'll see how popular it really is.

Well, BBC Three would almost certainly disappear in that scenario.

But this is not a thread about BBC funding/the Licence Fee - there are plenty of other, more appropriate threads knocking around.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has to be considered is that the BBC is a bit of "an old boy's club."
    There will be a lot of highly paid people within the management of BBC3 and these will have to be accommodated within the body of the BBC, before it goes on-line, as they will be getting as many have before, a "sideways move."
    Possibly, natural wastage and particularly retirements, have not yet yet occurred to sufficiently provide these vacancies. For example, look at Yentob, well past normal retirement age and still clinging on.
  • wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure family guy repeats will still air on BBC three.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    "BBC3 controller Damian Kavanagh told Broadcast: “Once we have the Trust’s final decision, we’ll start doing more online and in social, building up to a move online-only after Christmas.”"

That doesn't make any sense: So he is waiting for the Trust's decision and then gearing up to move online anyway regardless of what the decision is?

Talk about a whitewash in listening to people.
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very pleased at this decision. I took part in the consultation giving reasons why BBC3 and it's excellent content should remain on linear television and my very many grave concerns about what could happen if it didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Or

a) they have realised that it is a much bigger or complex task than originally envisaged, and that timescales need to slip in order for it to be achievable.

b) they have deduced that a big-bang approach is too risky, and that a more controlled migration over a longer period of time carries less risk.

As ever, wise words of wisdom mossy.

I love BBC3...I really want it to stay on linear telly. Reggie's recent docu - whilst very difficult viewing - was very informative indeed. Docus on BBC33 are first rate.
  • PowerLeePowerLee Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »

On average BBC 6 Music now gets more listeners then Radio 3.

As for BBC 3, wouldn't a better idea to merge BBC 3 & 4, there isn't enough new content for 2 channels so maybe have alternant days, condense both channels in to one.

BBC 4 is a very good channel but there is far to many repeats on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    I hope whoever gets in forces the BBC to go subscription, then we'll see how popular it really is.

I have already explained the very many negatives of subs haven't I.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PowerLee wrote: »
    On average BBC 6 Music now gets more listeners then Radio 3.

As for BBC 3, wouldn't a better idea to merge BBC 3 & 4, there isn't enough new content for 2 channels so maybe have alternant days, condense both channels in to one.

BBC 4 is a very good channel but there is far to many repeats on it.

BBC3 and 4 are both very good channels but their content is very different. Both share their channels with the Childrens' channels too don't they.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Probably part of the strategy. Make less people watch the channel, then it's easier to get rid of.

They be soon filling the line-up with Snooker coverage at this rate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly, natural wastage and particularly retirements, have not yet yet occurred to sufficiently provide these vacancies. For example, look at Yentob, well past normal retirement age and still clinging on.
    Yentob is just 68. There is no default "retirement age", most people can work for as long as they want to.
    Retirement age is when an employee chooses to retire. Most businesses don’t set a compulsory retirement age for their employees.

If an employee chooses to work longer they can’t be discriminated against.

However, some employers can set a compulsory retirement age if they can clearly justify it.
    https://www.gov.uk/retirement-age
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,687
    Forum Member
    What has to be considered is that the BBC is a bit of "an old boy's club."
    Opinion, yes. Fact, maybe not.