Options

Screen Size

Merry xmas folks. Hope somone can help here.

We recently got BT Vision and its hooked up to a 40" Samsung LCD TV. I have set the BT Vision settings to 1080 in the Vision Settings menu but certain channels only seem to be broadcast in a 4:3 ratio.

The TV has built in freeview and when I view say More 4 on that, an episode of friends is on full screen but when switching to the same channel on my vision box the TV does not stretch to fit and is displayed 4:3.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst viewing, press the shortcut button on your remote.
    you can then stretch the picture
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    disc0d4ve wrote: »
    Merry xmas folks. Hope somone can help here.

We recently got BT Vision and its hooked up to a 40" Samsung LCD TV. I have set the BT Vision settings to 1080 in the Vision Settings menu but certain channels only seem to be broadcast in a 4:3 ratio.

The TV has built in freeview and when I view say More 4 on that, an episode of friends is on full screen but when switching to the same channel on my vision box the TV does not stretch to fit and is displayed 4:3.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

We have the same thing. It appears that BTVision doesn't compensate for when the picture sizes change like our Bravia TV freeview does/did. However it's no problem to do as 'speckledhen' says and go to shortcuts - trouble is you have to remember to change it back, as the picture can look a bit toooooo stretched on other programmes sometimes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Thanks folks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth noting the following though folks :

The BTVision box is actually displaying the picture correctly - The TV's that auto-stretch it are displaying the picture incorrectly.

Certain channels are broadcasting 4:3 programming in it's original format (usually the adverts are 16:9 though).

Having said that, I still prefer an incorrect stretched picture to one with black bars at the sides but i'm sure some purists would disagree ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whilst viewing, press the shortcut button on your remote.
    you can then stretch the picture

Help please peeps.

This function worked before but now brings up a subtitles menu. Have I (my parents) changed a setting somewhere or is there now a different way to do this?
  • Options
    red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    after you have pressed the shortcut key just press the right or left hand arrow keys and this will display further menus
  • Options
    frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurgh!!! Give me black bars over a horrible stretched picture any day
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid i don't like the black bars either.
    The other way is to check to see if your TV can stretch.
    My philips has an auto stretch facilty you can set to each chanell.
    It works much better than the vison box stretch as it actually fits to the screen rather than being slightly over height or width (depending on which vision stretch you have used). The other good thing is you don't need to remember to turn it off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    red_g00ner wrote: »
    after you have pressed the shortcut key just press the right or left hand arrow keys and this will display further menus

Cheers