Options

Broken Britain: A Sign of The Times

It might have been the start of a brand-new decade but there was nothing fresh about the state of many revellers on the streets of Britain last night.
In yet another depressing portrayal of binge Britain, drunken party-goers grappled with police and scantily-dressed girls fell face down on the pavement.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1239836/New-Year-celebrations-turn-ugly-revellers-drink-excess.html#ixzz0bOB9A8Pm

As a new year is upon us, the same ghastly sights of a broken society are there for us all to see as we read our morning newspapers. Once again, we're reminded of the tragic decline of standards of decency in this once-great country, where nowadays booze, drugs and casual sex are all the 'norm' for a vasty proportion of society.
It is quite remarkable that only 65 years ago the people of this same country managed to win World War 2. But just look where we are now.... I could cry. :cry:

Comments

• Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I do not deny that we have a youth disaffection crisis in this country, this article is not the zenith of it all LP and you know it, you naughty boy/girl.
  • Options
    noelfirlnoelfirl Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    If it upsets you so, why don't you just pi ss off out to another country then?

Must troll harder.
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a sign of Broken Britain that the new decade is barely hours old and still people continue to whinge and whine about the average Briton's propensity to enjoy a good drink...a subject that could have been written at the start of every decade since time began.

Why can't the Daily Mail just **** off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You either spend all day with your face buried in the Daily Mail or you live in a very rough area, Jemima.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! Hold the front page!!!

The DM has just discovered that Geordies like a drink and don't feel the cold!!!!!
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't feed the troll. People get drunk in every country, it's just not every country has such a negative, vitriol-sprouting newspaper such as the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tut, Daily Mail, the offence is called 'Drunk and disorderly' not 'drunken disorderly'.

Otherwise that article could have been written verbatim during any major festival since the founding of the Roman Empire. Earlier in fact. There are Classical Greek vase paintings that look like those photographs of Newcastle.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Yet again the Daily Mail discredits itself as the malice spirited gutter rag it is.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I challenge the older DM's writers to officially disprove dissimilar scenes in their own youth.
  • Options
    weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read some history and you'll soon find this is far from the worst point in history of this country. It does seem to be the worst point for people rubbishing it though, people like you never have anything good to say and little to offer in solutions for the apparent ills of society.

I don't think it makes you cry, I think it's some sort of weird masochistic version of schadenfreude taking delight in how crap you think your world is.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another decade, another scare story.

I wonder if the Daily Mail will ever publish a positive story about the UK? They come across as being a self-hating bunch of curtain-twitching moaners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a new year is upon us, the same ghastly sights of a broken society are there for us all to see as we read our morning newspapers. Once again, we're reminded of the tragic decline of standards of decency in this once-great country, where nowadays booze, drugs and casual sex are all the 'norm' for a vasty proportion of society.
    It is quite remarkable that only 65 years ago the people of this same country managed to win World War 2. But just look where we are now.... I could cry. :cry:

...you do know that your beloved Australia banned drinking at the many vantage points overlooking Sydney Harbour Bridge this NYE due to previous years of extreme trouble?

Forget about Broken Britain, what about Aghast Australia?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well The Sun has tried their bit on Boozed up Britian, they did originally entitle their main page link to it Drunken Brits now they have chanegd that to Hardy Brits defy chill in 2010
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/

To me that doesnt look bad at all, Picture 2 is so obviously posed for their photographer so one cant take it as the norm.

And I notice the main pic of the girl flat on her face, is the same girl used in Pic 3 in a different setting , call me a cynic but one wonders is that for real or is she an employee of the paper or just someone posing how they ask her to ?

As for Pic 7, whats so bad about a man tyring to lift a woman ?

And out of the hundreds of thousands of people in Central London last night only 18 were arrested for being drunk and disorderly, maybe thats why The Sun changed the story headline .
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    If the OP really thinks that Britain is broken how about they get off their backside, stop reading the Daily Misery and complaining on here do something constructive to fix it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,940
    Forum Member
    SHOCK! HORROR! People like to drink on New Year's Eve! What is Britain coming to? This never happened before 1997, did it. :mad:
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    If the OP really thinks that Britain is broken how about they get off their backside, stop reading the Daily Misery and complaining on here do something constructive to fix it?

That would require getting off their backside and doing something, though. Armchair pontificating is always the easier option.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( Horrible pictures of Broken Athens from 500 BC. Once again, we're reminded of the tragic decline of standards of decency in that once-great country, where in 500 BC booze, drugs and casual sex were all the 'norm' for a vasty proportion of society.

Vasty? btw
  • Options
    Skysurfer2000Skysurfer2000 Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what is JPD doing to fix "broken britain" other than trolling here, having allergies to bags for life, stressing over margarine, and wishing the fuzzy-wuzzies would go home? Nothing I would wager.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep and the Greeks had Baked Dildos ;)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good evening JPD. Hope you are having a Happy Winterval
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    I challenge the older DM's writers to officially disprove dissimilar scenes in their own youth.

The three day week started on New Years Day 1974. I spent New Years Eve 1973, I'm a bit ashamed to admit, consuming my own bodyweight in Websters Pennine Bitter. I think The Daily Mail ran an article about Broken Mercia.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Well said OP.

This generation's beyond repair... and who's to blame? The generation before them for making them that way. And the generation before them's parents obviously weren't very good at bringing up kids, so they're at fault. They should have learnt better.
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    Well said OP.

This generation's beyond repair... and who's to blame? The generation before them for making them that way. And the generation before them's parents obviously weren't very good at bringing up kids, so they're at fault. They should have learnt better.

Don't forget the generation before that who didn't bring up their kids very well. And less said about the generation before that the better.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    Well said OP.

And the previous 400 generations weren't any better. Britain has been going to the dogs ever since we learned to bang rocks together, we should never have come down from the trees.
  • Options
    The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    :( Horrible pictures of Broken Athens from 500 BC. Once again, we're reminded of the tragic decline of standards of decency in that once-great country, where in 500 BC booze, drugs and casual sex were all the 'norm' for a vasty proportion of society.

Vasty? btw
    Maybe we should learn from the example of Ancient Greece? They went from being arguably the most advanced civilization in the world to being a virtual nonentity as the Romans took over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    Some people having a bit too much to drink is "broken Britain"? Are you stupid or something?

You can try to make a case for "broken Britain" with things like shootings, stabbages, state authoritariansm and things like that, but people partying hard and maybe having a bad hangover?

I don't rollyeyes often but your thread is exceptional. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: