Options

Software update + Anytime Problems (merged)

Comments

• Options
    dpmarshalldpmarshall Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    i take it everyone's has FAIL in the "service connection" section at the moment? (and it's not just because i'm using a non-sky router)

Nope, I have "OK" and I'm not a Sky broadband customer.

Dave
  • Options
    Gary BestGary Best Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    dr98 wrote: »
    Worth noting that this is a different EPG version to what Pace owners reported with the previous update.

That's handy to know - cheers for that.

Anytime works, as I just had a quick play with it. Will report back in recordings later!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Like gary best i have a pace box and had new software two weeks ago and this morning it was updated to a newer version the same version numbers as gary best.
    When i had it two weeks ago it deleted a film out of my planner which i had saved from a anytime download. im finding that with the new software when you select a tv programe in the guide the mini tv goes blue then after a pause it goes to the programe
    It seems the new software has slowed it down
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpmarshall wrote: »
    Nope, I have "OK" and I'm not a Sky broadband customer.

Dave

i am a Sky LLU customer, but don't use the awful sky router.
    wonder what the problem is. maybe firewall issue?
  • Options
    Gary BestGary Best Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    My software seems fine speed wise, but probably helped that I did a full system reset a few days back.

Just plugged an ethernet cable in, and it picks that up fine. But I'm on Sky BB anyway.
  • Options
    Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    i am a Sky LLU customer, but don't use the awful sky router.
    wonder what the problem is. maybe firewall issue?

That would certainly cause it and be the first place to start!

Can't do much else till you have eliminated that cause.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    gavmcfc wrote: »
    My Amstrad 890 has a 1TB WD drive in it and barring a couple of formerly good recordings that came up as failed, the upgrade was smooth and all is working well.

Thanks for that information... Fingers crossed the update will succeed eventually.

Just out of interest, is there anyone with an upgraded 1TB Pace box that's received the update successfully?
  • Options
    rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was fine last night with sky broadband but now it says fail and the box is incredibly slow. Making me angry!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would certainly cause it and be the first place to start!

Can't do much else till you have eliminated that cause.

that's the problem. i haven't set up any specific firewall rules on the router, and every other devices has no issues connecting to the internet.

so unless i know what specific port the STB is trying to use then i can't eliminate anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    that's the problem. i haven't set up any specific firewall rules on the router, and every other devices has no issues connecting to the internet.

so unless i know what specific port the STB is trying to use then i can't eliminate anything.

I can't deny that routers and firewalls can be a right pain!

The IP address it uses was posted some pages ago, but as for which port? Can you do port ranges and/or allow all ports on the IP address? (At least to test it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't deny that routers and firewalls can be a right pain!

The IP address it uses was posted some pages ago, but as for which port? Can you do port ranges and/or allow all ports on the IP address? (At least to test it)

i'm not blocking any outgoing ports, and haven't blocked any incoming ports that weren't blocked by default by any router.

saying that, i do have 2 port rules set (for torrent client).
    6886 and 35105 (both TCP and UDP) forward to a specific client on my network.

only other non-standard thing on my network is that i use OpenDNS (set at router level) rather than stock ISP DNS servers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i'm not blocking any outgoing ports, and haven't blocked any incoming ports that weren't blocked by default by any router.

saying that, i do have 2 port rules set (for torrent client).
    6886 and 35105 (both TCP and UDP) forward to a specific client on my network.

Cable OK?

The trouble is that unless you can figure it out yourself, then sky won't help you at all. :(

Yes I have two ports set up for my torrent client.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cable OK?

The trouble is that unless you can figure it out yourself, then sky won't help you at all. :(

yes i have a DHCP assigned IP address, and i can see that ip address being assigned to the STB in the DHCP logs.
  • Options
    Magic TorchMagic Torch Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did a forced update on my Amstrad 1TB box last night. Update went smoothly, no problems, and the whole box now seems much faster. In fact it's definitely faster within the Planner.

However I do have one small issue. The fan is now permanently on!! Is anyone else having this problem?

Before the update the fan wasn't on at all, and I can pretty much say I could hardly ever hear it. However after the update it is on, and is probably going full speed. I can now hear the box from 6ft away.

Glenn

Yep, same here, did a forced update last night..the fan came on...it was still on when I went to bed last night...it was still on when I got up this morning...it was still on when I got home from work this evening:eek: Anyway, I've just switched the box on and off at the mains & it's now working fine & the fan is no longer on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes i have a DHCP assigned IP address, and i can see that ip address being assigned to the STB in the DHCP logs.

Mmmmmm So seems the router can see it and give it an IP address so maybe the Sky box is objecting to it for some reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mmmmmm So seems the router can see it and give it an IP address so maybe the Sky box is objecting to it for some reason.

it looks like the sky box can't get an internet connection, or is not detecting that it's their.

i did get the prompt at the beginning that the sky box had detected a broadband connection and asked if i wanted to enable.

i wonder if all it does is detect a network connection rather than a broadband connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it looks like the sky box can't get an internet connection, or is not detecting that it's their.

i did get the prompt at the beginning that the sky box had detected a broadband connection and asked if i wanted to enable.

i wonder if all it does is detect a network connection rather than a broadband connection.

Well then that would be back to the firewall wouldn't it? If it is connected as part of your local network OK but can't get out, then that is usually firewall problems.

As I said, they are a nightmare!

I might be able to help you further when/if/should I ever actually get the update!
  • Options
    rhodgreenrhodgreen Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    I'm on Virgin broadband and have an IP address and service status ok - the really annoying thing is though.....
    Everytime I scroll down to the programmes in Anytime I now get a pop-up telling me to find further details on sky.com/anytimeplus - which I have to press backup to continue from!!:mad:
  • Options
    tt1986tt1986 Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I still don't have any update on my Pace box :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well then that would be back to the firewall wouldn't it? If it is connected as part of your local network OK but can't get out, then that is usually firewall problems.

ok well i remove the 2 port forwarding rules i had set... made no difference.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no Update on my Amstrad Sky+ HD Box.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe, just maybe they could do that and rewrite patches for it to allow a 29500 symbol rate to be manually selected and every other gadget and function we could ever want.

I await this deluge of user updates and way to get them on the Sky box with baited breath.

I think the discovery of Unicorns will come first!

It will be Unicorns first because the guts of the software is proprietary and doesn't come under the GPL. The patches are nothing more than the changes NDS have made to the standard FreeBSD or whatever package they started with.

Bottom line is there's **** all that can be changed in the software even if it could be uploaded to the box.
  • Options
    hessy2hessy2 Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daniel99 wrote: »
    Still no Update on my Amstrad Sky+ HD Box.

I have a 1TB Amstrad box. Still no update here either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    It will be Unicorns first because the guts of the software is proprietary and doesn't come under the GPL. The patches are nothing more than the changes NDS have made to the standard FreeBSD or whatever package they started with.

Bottom line is there's **** all that can be changed in the software even if it could be uploaded to the box.

Is it on a standard chip or a proprietary one?
    Encrypted?
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1TB box received the update today.

One problem, though - it seems that since the update, the HDMI output has a purple cast to everything. The other outputs are fine.

Does anyone else have this problem?