Options

Is Surfin' Bird a threat?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
Forum Member
It's already number 1 on Amazon and number 22 on iTunes. Bare in mind earlier this morning it was number 56 (when I last checked, then number 32 about an hour ago).

It has a days advance on the X-Factor single, as the chart eligibility opened at 00:01 this morning.

I honestly hope this campaign beats the X-Factor again. It's a great "in your face".

Undoubtedly when the single (or singles) is released from the show people will mass buy so it'll sit at number 1 from later this evening or tomorrow, but iTunes and Amazon charts are "as of now" rather than "on a whole" so we'll only really see in the proper midweeks where both songs are.

:p:D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd buy the winners song JUST so Surfin Bird doesn't get to number 1....even though normally i wouldn't buy the winners single and i'll bet im not alone. It's such an attriocious song, bad choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    I'd buy the winners song JUST so Surfin Bird doesn't get to number 1....even though normally i wouldn't buy the winners single and i'll bet im not alone. It's such an attriocious song, bad choice.

That is the entire idea, though. A terrible, token value, novelty song beating something which thinks it's more deserving than others. It's the ultimate "in your face" to Cowell and c.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    That is the entire idea, though. A terrible, token value, novelty song beating something which thinks it's more deserving than others. It's the ultimate "in your face" to Cowell and c.

I think it worked better last year though. When it was meant to be about the music? They actually chose the most appropriate song ever. I don't know the thought process that went into choosing this song this year but it's not one I'm likely to buy.

I'm not sure if it's a threat or not - I didn't think RATM was a threat last year so I clearly know sweet FA!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    I think it worked better last year though. When it was meant to be about the music? They actually chose the most appropriate song ever. I don't know the thought process that went into choosing this song this year but it's not one I'm likely to buy.

I'm not sure if it's a threat or not - I didn't think RATM was a threat last year so I clearly know sweet FA!

Last year's choice was a pure protest song. The lyrics were very fitting to the campaign. It worked.

I think this year's process was to prove a point that a show watched by less than a million people in the UK - Family Guy, where the song became popular - can actually beat something watched by close to 20 million.

This year is a simple "in your face" to Cowell and Co.

I think it's fantastic that people protest against the X-Factor. It'd be silly if it was actually about the songs themselves but it's evidently not. Last year people pre-ordered the X-Factor single without knowing who actually won!
  • Options
    mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year the song was a good song (I'd have bought it if I hadn't wanted to avoid giving competition to Joe, whose single I did buy).

This one is cr*p! There are also too many other songs being paraded as the alternative to the X-Factor vote, including some charity ones, like that soldier singing about Christmas on the front line.

I just don't think there is the same momentum behind it this year. The ones who went along last year just for the heck of it probably won't bother this year. Some of the ones protesting will use other songs to protest and people are unlikely to go as crazy buying multiple copies as they did last year.

I think the X-Factor winner will be safe for a number 1 this time.
  • Options
    JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year's choice was a pure protest song. The lyrics were very fitting to the campaign. It worked.

I think this year's process was to prove a point that a show watched by less than a million people in the UK - Family Guy, where the song became popular - can actually beat something watched by close to 20 million.

This year is a simple "in your face" to Cowell and Co.

I think it's fantastic that people protest against the X-Factor. It'd be silly if it was actually about the songs themselves but it's evidently not. Last year people pre-ordered the X-Factor single without knowing who actually won!

I agree.

XF singles are usually bland and I get fed up very quickly of listening to them. For several years we've had them dominating the Christmas playlists and that's what's brought about the backlash.

I accept that there are many, many people who like the 'pop' charts and the music that dominates them but there are those of us who don't find much to enjoy when listening to mainstream radio or watching mainstream music channels.

A bit of a shake up to the pop 'establishment' makes me happy :D

If you want the XF single to be No 1 then you'll just have to hope it sells more over the next week than Surf Bird - I think it'll be a close run thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I understand the idea, the problem is the execution. They have chosen such a repugnant song it'll backfire on them as many who went with the RATM revolution last year, simply will not buy this crap.

Also there have to be 20-30 different songs being touted in this role, last year there was just 1 song. As such, it'll not work.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have you heard?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mirandaweb wrote: »
    I just don't think there is the same momentum behind it this year. The ones who went along last year just for the heck of it probably won't bother this year. Some of the ones protesting will use other songs to protest and people are unlikely to go as crazy buying multiple copies as they did last year.

I think the X-Factor winner will be safe for a number 1 this time.

Although this is true, Surfin' Bird is the only one with a proper backing. It has over 600,000 people on it's Facebook group. Granted, not all of those will buy it, but it's got a large following still.

The others have very small followings. I also believe Surfin Bird is being backed by a few radio DJs - Scott Mills is one I believe, which is odd since he seems to pally with Joe!)

However, I do agree that because many people are backing other songs it'll water the numbers down. Regardless, even if it doesn't beat the X-Factor, it's still a smack in the face because people care enough to protest against the X-Factor single.
    JessTheCat wrote: »
    I agree.

XF singles are usually bland and I get fed up very quickly of listening to them. For several years we've had them dominating the Christmas playlists and that's what's brought about the backlash.

I accept that there are many, many people who like the 'pop' charts and the music that dominates them but there are those of us who don't find much to enjoy when listening to mainstream radio or watching mainstream music channels.

A bit of a shake up to the pop 'establishment' makes me happy :D

If you want the XF single to be No 1 then you'll just have to hope it sells more over the next week than Surf Bird - I think it'll be a close run thing.

Indeed :D I have to admit I don't give a shit about the charts usually but I like a bit of friendly competition for the apparent most important number 1 of the year.

Most of the acts I listen to never get a sniff in the chart but they don't need it because they're fine selling smaller amounts and not at risk of facing the chop like the X-Factor lot do. But, I like the X-Factor for being a show on the telly box.
  • Options
    JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the idea, the problem is the execution. They have chosen such a repugnant song it'll backfire on them as many who went with the RATM revolution last year, simply will not buy this crap.

Also there have to be 20-30 different songs being touted in this role, last year there was just 1 song. As such, it'll not work.

It may be repugnant but I bet more people'll have fun with mad drunken dancing to it at Christmas parties instead of sitting down and waiting for the XFs latest offering of bland mush to finish before getting back to Slade and Wizzard....

(or maybe that's just in our house...............:o)
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    tenchgirl wrote: »

Heard what? :D
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ba Ba Ba Ba Oo ma mao mao
    b b b b b bird is the word!!:D
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am NO fan of Cowell's, don't get me wrong - but he did say he had learnt a lesson from last year. And he has addressed one of the things that was so annoying - the 'one size fits all' winner's single. At least the songs have been individually chosen this time, so that is some improvement.

Doesn't make up for the strokes he's pulled in this year's series, though, nowhere near. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BRIAN DON'T :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ba Ba Ba Ba Oo ma mao mao
    b b b b b bird is the word!!:D

:D Genius!
    I am NO fan of Cowell's, don't get me wrong - but he did say he had learnt a lesson from last year. And he has addressed one of the things that was so annoying - the 'one size fits all' winner's single. At least the songs have been individually chosen this time, so that is some improvement.

Doesn't make up for the strokes he's pulled in this year's series, though, nowhere near. :mad:

I hope the rumours of all the winner's singles being released at the same time are true. That'll mean people will buy their act's favourite and not just mass buy the actual winner's single, meaning although sales for them all may be jointly high, none of them will get enough to beat Surfin' Bird.

We'll see, I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JessTheCat wrote: »
    It may be repugnant but I bet more people'll have fun with mad drunken dancing to it at Christmas parties instead of sitting down and waiting for the XFs latest offering of bland mush to finish before getting back to Slade and Wizzard....

(or maybe that's just in our house...............:o)

I don't think so somehow ;)

I am no fan of the x-factor singles, but this song is just awful, it was terrible first time around, it's even worse this time. You mention Slade, which ironically would have been a better choice of protest song.

My point is why this song? They could have chosen any song....something audible....something brilliant, but they choose this offense to the ears.

Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK would be FAR more fitting and far more apt, there are hundreds of songs which have relevant inherant protest meaning which would fit the ethos of what is being attempted.

I guess i just can't stand Surfin Bird, I wasn't wild about it first time around either.
  • Options
    Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been done, and Surfin' Bird is a stupid song anyway.

Whip My Hair Back And Forth for Number 1! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's been done, and Surfin' Bird is a stupid song anyway.

Whip My Hair Back And Forth for Number 1! :o

Terrible song! It's probably going to be number 1 or 2; it's battling with another god awful song - Dirty Bit by the Black Eyed Peas :yawn: - that's a vomit symbol in this case!
    I don't think so somehow ;)

I am no fan of the x-factor singles, but this song is just awful, it was terrible first time around, it's even worse this time. You mention Slade, which ironically would have been a better choice of protest song.

My point is why this song? They could have chosen any song....something audible....something brilliant, but they choose this offense to the ears.

Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK would be FAR more fitting and far more apt, there are hundreds of songs which have relevant inherant protest meaning which would fit the ethos of what is being attempted.

I guess i just can't stand Surfin Bird, I wasn't wild about it first time around either.

It became popular from Family Guy and no one in the right mind will listen to it like they do proper songs, but it's going to be very funny if it beats the X-Factor.
  • Options
    Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least Willow's song is entertaining! More so than the awful Surfin' Bird song... Gah.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At least Willow's song is entertaining! More so than the awful Surfin' Bird song... Gah.

It's not meant to be entertaining in the sense that people will listen to it like they listen to the rest of their music collection. It's a joke, a novelty song...

That Willow Smith song is just a chorus with too much production.
  • Options
    weeeselweeesel Posts: 5,256
    Forum Member
    Indeed, sofaras I understand it, the 'bird' is the 'word'. And frankly, anyone who wants to describe the second greatest garage band song in the world as 'crap' can settle it with me.... outside, now!
  • Options
    hypervisorhypervisor Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bird is the word, prepare for another xmas #1 from the real uk public who hate the crap factor.

surfin bird is down to #16 and climbing. the battle has begun
  • Options
    hypervisorhypervisor Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bird is the word and its climbing.

#1 on amazon and 14 on itunes
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What annoys me about these facebook campaigns is that these people are being brainwashed and hyped into buying an utterly crap novelty record just to knock The X Factor single off the Christmas number 1 slot. Which is no different than the kids who are hyped and brainwashed into buying the X Factor rubbish.

Either buy a record because you actually like it or not at all! Buying/downloading something you don't really like just to prove a point because a group of people have decided to start a hate campgin, means you have no mind of your own, so what's the difference? If i'm gonna download anything to be Christmas no1 i'm gonna choose something I actually like, not some god awful novelty record that's just there to get up Simon Cowel's nose. Wouldn't it make more sense for someone to release a good old fashioned Christmas song that everyone actually liked and let everyone get behind that instead? I have more sense and better things to do with my money than to stoop to such childish behaviour and waste my money on downloading such tripe all because of some pathetic Simon Cowell hate campaign.

As much as I hate X Factor and the rubbish it churns out, i'm all for freedom of choice. I take no notice of the singles chart as the music I like to listen to is non mainstream and will therefore never appear in any pop chart so I have no interest in it whatsoever. It means nothing to me because I listen and buy the music that 'I' like and not what's popular or what I'm told to buy by some social network group, tv show or ad campaign.

Plus what's laughable about it is, it's not even a real reflection of popularity as most the people who download the anti X Factor single do so by downloading 3,4 or even more copies at a time where as people who buy the X Factor single generally do so only once so if you compare the figures in terms of people and not multiple downloads then the X Factor wins hands down even though it may not reach No1. Either way Mr Cowell is still making his money so such campaigns are pointless because the 'real' music they are campaigning for still doesn't stand a chance.

The best thing to do if you don't like something is simply don't buy it, have a mind of your own and buy what YOU want to listen to instead. The test of a real winner is wait 2 years and see if they're still selling records. How many of these X Factor one minute wonders will you remember in 12 months time? They may sell millions of singles in one week to brainwashed kids but true talent stands the test of time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    What annoys me about these facebook campaigns is that these people are being brainwashed and hyped into buying an utterly crap novelty record just to knock The X Factor single off the Christmas number 1 slot. Which is no different than the kids who are hyped and brainwashed into buying the X Factor rubbish.

Either buy a record because you actually like it or not at all! Buying/downloading something you don't really like just to prove a point because a group of people have decided to start a hate campgin, means you have no mind of your own, so what's the difference? If i'm gonna download anything to be Christmas no1 i'm gonna choose something I actually like, not some god awful novelty record that's just there to get up Simon Cowel's nose. Wouldn't it make more sense for someone to release a good old fashioned Christmas song that everyone actually liked and let everyone get behind that instead? I have more sense and better things to do with my money than to stoop to such childish behaviour and waste my money on downloading such tripe all because of some pathetic Simon Cowell hate campaign.

As much as I hate X Factor and the rubbish it churns out, i'm all for freedom of choice. I take no notice of the singles chart as the music I like to listen to is non mainstream and will therefore never appear in any pop chart so I have no interest in it whatsoever. It means nothing to me because I listen and buy the music that 'I' like and not what's popular or what I'm told to buy by some social network group, tv show or ad campaign.

Plus what's laughable about it is, it's not even a real reflection of popularity as most the people who download the anti X Factor single do so by downloading 3,4 or even more copies at a time where as people who buy the X Factor single generally do so only once so if you compare the figures in terms of people and not multiple downloads then the X Factor wins hands down even though it may not reach No1. Either way Mr Cowell is still making his money so such campaigns are pointless because the 'real' music they are campaigning for still doesn't stand a chance.

The best thing to do if you don't like something is simply don't buy it, have a mind of your own and buy what YOU want to listen to instead. The test of a real winner is wait 2 years and see if they're still selling records. How many of these X Factor one minute wonders will you remember in 12 months time? They may sell millions of singles in one week to brainwashed kids but true talent stands the test of time.

Last year the fun was put back into the Christmas chart. Because of greedy Mr Cowell, the Christmas number one was already predetermined (before RATM came along).