Options

Parcel Deliveries

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often order stuff at work and the companies have to send it basically past where we are, 200 miles out of the way for it to be delivered back to us.. It would actually be easier for me to pick it up from the place.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Remember the good old days when they used to actually knock on a door, just had a delivery which I knew was arriving because of the hour slot email - that's great, heard a limp wristed tap, thought surely that's not it. I look outside and the bloke is halfway up the path with my parcel. :mad:

That happens all of the time with the Royal mail never mind the cheapo courier companies. I often find "sorry you were out" cards from the postman when I was in the house all of the time and didn't hear a knock or the bell ring.
  • Options
    jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Personally the best courier I've found is DPD, as IIRC they let you book evening deliveries (if you pay extra), but as standard will either email you, or text your mobile with a one hour window in which they will deliver - and they tend to stick to it (I've heard their PDA's don't let them deliver outside that window, so sometimes you see them sitting in their van for a few minutes if running early).
    Of course I suspect they cost more than Yodel and the like, but they've invested very heavily in getting their delivery network as good as possible.

DPD have been great for me recently. As you say, in the morning you get a one hour slot. On the last four occasions they have always arrived in that slot. The time before that they didn't turn up but I found the CS to be decent as it was resolved the next day and at a time requested by myself.

Contrast this to Hermes... so bad that I now don't use any company that uses them.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    Not really a very good service though, is it? Some services need to realise that they need to be more flexible with their hours.

And some clients need to realise if they want an out of hours service they need to pay out of hours rates. Which is a service most courier companies will provide.

Couriers need to be paid just like any other worker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    mybybox not too good in my experience. Codes don't work half the time. Lockers outdated. Can be very frustrating if you are waiting for something urgently.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowadays it makes sense to have your large mail delivered to a local collection point - even if you have to pay to collect. Local shops could offer this, if you buy something off ebay for £50 and have it sent to your local collection point, what's another 50p to know it's there and can be collected at your leisure?

When I retire I'm thinking of offering to be a local "collect" point as most neighbours are working during the day - £1/delivery. Might even take it to their house when they're in. Only thing is, I do like to disappear for holidays which might make things difficult.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Nowadays it makes sense to have your large mail delivered to a local collection point - even if you have to pay to collect. Local shops could offer this, if you buy something off ebay for £50 and have it sent to your local collection point, what's another 50p to know it's there and can be collected at your leisure?]

I used to live opposite a small corner shop which was happy for you to have your parcels delivered there (as long as it wasn't the size of a fridge or sofa!) for you to pick up in the evening.

The Post Office is about to launch a collection service for parcels - http://news.sky.com/story/1096822/royal-mail-to-offer-click-and-collect-service - but that assumes you have one anywhere near you that hasn't been closed down.

Actually, the best solution for parcel deliveries is to get them addressed to you at work - as long as your employer is OK with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why these couriers just don't drop peoples parcels off at the local post office I would rather that than a neighbour..
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    I have mine delivered to work, 24 hour gate-guards mean that if they claim nobody was around to sign/collect I know they're lying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I remember when I was at school (6 years ago) and the post would always come before I left at 8am. Now my postman usually comes around 12.30-1pm by which time everyone is at work.

When I was living at home, the most annoying thing was getting a red card, as the only time I was able to collect it was on a Saturday before 12.

I always use collect+ when I can, or get it delivered to work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was dull.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,420
    Forum Member
    I don't get why these couriers just don't drop peoples parcels off at the local post office I would rather that than a neighbour..

Parcelforce do (or, at least, my local Parcelforce driver does). It doesn't go to the local post office though - it goes to one a bit further down the road. Fortunately it stays open until 5.30pm and I have to pass it on the way home from work, which is great! (my neighbours tend to take parcels in for me anyway, but when they don't I'd rather go to the post office on my way home, than try and get to a depot fifty miles away - actually I'd also rather go to the PO than have my neighbour hassled with all my parcels, I feel a bit guilty about that sometimes)
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    STeely wrote: »
    Does any parcel delivery company (Ukmail / Yodel etc) , actually deliver when you might be in , if you have to work?? , or have a phone line you can actually get through?? , i had to wait over 20 min to get through to uk mail , i can belive we have to wait all day still in 2013

has anyone ever missed all deliveries and been unable to collect from the depot at well??
    You can never contact them, none of the numbers work, nor can you get hold of an address for their depot, so that you can go pick the stuff up.

They hide because you are not their customer, the company you bought stuff , is their customer, this is what I was told when I was having a rant about much the same situation.

However, although the tracking web page said my parcel had been left in a safe place as I wasn't in( when I was) I went out side my front door some 3 hours later and fell over it, so they also lie.
  • Options
    CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get all my parcels delivered to work seeing as that's where I am most of the time!
    I realise I'm fortunate that my workplace is fine with this, some aren't.
  • Options
    PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't you get your parcels delivered to your place of work? That's what I do and it works brilliantly
  • Options
    DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I don't understand why in this day and age both the Royal Mail, Parcel Farce and other courier companies still insist on delivering during working hours. I know not everyone works 9-5 but pretty much most of the population still work hours that are around these times. I myself work 4 days a week between 8-6 which means that unless they deliver on my weekday off or at a weekend it is highly likely I won't be in when they come and I'll get the dreaded "red card" put through my letterbox :mad:
    Because these are their working hours. If it doesn't suit you, change your working hours rather than expecting somebody to amend theirs to suit you.. I know you won't want to or be able to do so easily, but...... In itself that makes a mockery of your complaint.
    nearly all of parcel delivery firms are now a joke..
    Why? I have only had one deliver problem in the last few years as far as I recall.
    I get a delivery 4-5 days a week.