Would this business idea work?

allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A small shop or kiosk in the middle of a city centre selling hot food and drinks (i.e. coffee, sandwiches, pastries and breakfast items) all for a pound each - essentially a pound coffee shop.

Working on the premise that everyone needs to eat and drink and there is a market for city centre workers lunching on a budget. Could also incorporate some kind of loyalty scheme for workers or pre-ordered sandwiches etc...

I know rent would be expensive initially and I would look to source equipment online or from closing business - do you think this kind of business would work or is there too much competition?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    A small shop or kiosk in the middle of a city centre selling hot food and drinks (i.e. coffee, sandwiches, pastries and breakfast items) all for a pound each - essentially a pound coffee shop.

Working on the premise that everyone needs to eat and drink and there is a market for city centre workers lunching on a budget. Could also incorporate some kind of loyalty scheme for workers or pre-ordered sandwiches etc...

I know rent would be expensive initially and I would look to source equipment online or from closing business - do you think this kind of business would work or is there too much competition?

You've essentially been beaten to it.

There's a chain of Pound Bakery shops selling pasties, pastries, sausage rolls etc and some of them sell tea, coffee and hot chocolate too all for £1 (or more usually, 2 for £1).

But if you think it would work, go for it.
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was thinking of a much smaller scale - people wouldn't be able to sit down or only a couple of stools and a side table
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would theoretically work if you could offer hot food at such prices. People are very price conscious. You can't have enough competition as long as you have the right location with a high-footfall. Most places will be more expensive than anywhere offering this stuff for £1.

Anyway, on to more practical things...

It's easy to sell a cup of tea for £1 - lots of profit to be had there.. the raw ingredients probably cost less than 10p.

But a pastry? A sausage roll? Have you costed this up?

Also you're right. The rent will be your killer.

Imagine you have to pay rent for your shop or kisosk of some sort of £500 per month. If you make only 20p average profit on food transactions you would have to sell £2,500 per month of food (2,500 sausage rolls at £1) to just break even every month - not even making a profit.

There are other high costs to consider as well such as staffing and compliance costs. Don't forget things like permits and business rates if applicable too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't work like a pound shop because generally people are more fussy over food, so are you going to be selling low quality products? You also have to note that many bakeries sell items for under £1 anyway, such as sausage rolls for 70p, cakes for 99p etc; etc; If you opened a bar on the other hand and sold drinks at £1 you'd probably have a winner, problem with that though is you'd attract the wrong crowd. ie people who like to drink alot and get rowdy on the cheap.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    It wouldn't work like a pound shop because generally people are more fussy over food, so are you going to be selling low quality products? You also have to note that many bakeries sell items for under £1 anyway, such as sausage rolls for 70p, cakes for 99p etc; etc; If you opened a bar on the other hand and sold drinks at £1 you'd probably have a winner, problem with that though is you'd attract the wrong crowd. ie people who like to drink alot and get rowdy on the cheap.

It wouldn't work in an upmarket Waitrose-style town (as neither do pound shops) - but any densely populated urban area should have more than enough food-fall willing to pay that for food.

It's broadly comparable to Greggs and McDonalds. Cheap shit that sells by the tonne.

I don't know how you'd make money selling alcoholic drinks for £1.. your stock would have to be duty free to be sold at that margin :D
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    It's not a bad idea, but finding exactly the right location for your shop or stall would be absolutely critical.

Get that wrong and you'd be out of business in no time.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a business idea until you've worked out your costings.
  • Ted_LeeTed_Lee Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I like the office delivery idea! Thats the best idea imo. I will work on that one and chamge your business model to office delivery.

Staff always welcome stuff delivered i know cuz have seen it many times in some places i have worked in.

You dont need the shop just a simple website, delivery van with trolly and a be ready to cold call.

Calling is not as hard as you think. You would really be doing them a favour. Your target are SME businesses. Ask for manager and pitch. All you need is a few minutes to tell manager or even reception you have something their staff would love.

If u cant do the calls hire someone freelance from people per hour to make the calls to businesses informing them of your £1 food to office delivery. A decent telemarketer can get 1 business an hour interested.

30 businesses with an average spend of £15 per office ( each staff spends £2) would gross you £450 a day. Of which there is no reason why 250 - 300 wont be profit.

Pick up the phone monday and starting dialing offices asking them if its something they would be iterested in as you are interested in offering them a very cost and time effective option for their lunch breaks.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah'm oot.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like you've had the idea to sell these things for a pound, but then not worked back from that price point to understand if it's in any way feasible. As somebody else says, tea and coffee offer a decent profit margin, but can you really make any kind of margin knocking sandwiches and pastries out for £1 whilst maintaining any semblance of quality?

I'm never one to knock the spirit of entrepreneurship, but it seems unworkable to me. After all, why do other similar businesses charge prices that are two or three times as much per item, it can't just be pure and simple greed? You'd have to be massive to get anywhere near the economies of scale you would need on ingredients, not a start up company.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Ah'm oot.

Let me tell you where I am...
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    3sweet5u wrote: »

No way you could make money selling pints for £1.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a good idea, there's kiosks like this in derby. With the "everything's a quid" slant, people will know exactly how much they need for their food and drinks, no messing with menus and prices. It's easy for people. Also it's easy for you and the staff to work things out quickly. Maybe shaving precious time off your service in busy time.

You would obviously buy your sausage rolls and that premade. You could offer a small selection of sandwiches instead of a broad range, they would be easy to knock out. Like cheese sandwiches. If you made your tea and coffee with better quality brands it won't cost you THAT much more, maybe 2p a drink, but a cup of Yorkshire over Tetleys for a quid would be attractive to me anyway.

But as mentioned you'd need to work out overheads and all the other associated costings. Would a kiosk really cost £500 a month to rent? I have no idea....
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VAT will probably be payable on everything so thats 20p gone straight away, then factor in rent/gas/electricity/insurance if you're employing people their wages etc so you'll probably need to be working at less than 40p per item to make a profit