What do i buy?!

Hi looking for a 'smart' device that I can get access to Demand 5, 4od, BBC Iplayer, You Tube and the BBC Sport App (so I can watch 2 tables at the snooker!). Is there a device which does this? Now TV doesn't seem to have all these apps, neither does Apple TV, any suggestions?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    A Roku is probably going to be your best bet mate for ease of use :)
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now TV has all of those apps.
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ccb2011 wrote: »
    Hi looking for a 'smart' device that I can get access to Demand 5, 4od, BBC Iplayer, You Tube and the BBC Sport App (so I can watch 2 tables at the snooker!). Is there a device which does this? Now TV doesn't seem to have all these apps, neither does Apple TV, any suggestions?

The now TV box has these plus ITV player for 9.99.

If you want Netflix or Amazon prime then a Roku is a better option.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    If you want Netflix or Amazon prime then a Roku is a better option.

Roku doesn't have Amazon Prime in the UK.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £50 for an amazon FireTV! :)

(Just ordered one!) :D
  • ccb2011ccb2011 Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    I didn't think that Now TV had all the apps - so it has the full BBC Sport app (i.e in Commonwealth Games you could have viewed all the streams?)
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    Roku doesn't have Amazon Prime in the UK.

Thats so wierd. I'm sure it used too?

I didn't think that Now TV had all the apps - so it has the full BBC Sport app (i.e in Commonwealth Games you could have viewed all the streams?)

Yes.
  • St@mmieSt@mmie Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    £50 for an amazon FireTV! :)

(Just ordered one!) :D

Amazon Fire TV isn't going to have 4OD or BBC Iplayer on it when it launches which the OP wants.

You can sideload XBMC onto it and you'll get Iplayer through that but still no 4OD

For the OP's quoted needs a £9:99 Now TV box seems the best option
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    I use my cheap Hudl Android tablet to get all these.
  • ccb2011ccb2011 Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    So, you know it can get Spotify? Is it still the Premium service only, or does the basic version work on Now TV?
  • arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    So, you know it can get Spotify? Is it still the Premium service only, or does the basic version work on Now TV?

Still the premium version, but you can get quite a lot of your music through the YouTube app.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    If you have the money and are in it for the long haul, a dedicated HTPC with a decent remote mouse like the Mele f10 Pro is the only sure fire way IMO.

Failing that, something that that will run a browser. Personally I just could not deal with the nonsense of which device will run what app and which device is still getting firmware updates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    If you have the money and are in it for the long haul, a dedicated HTPC with a decent remote mouse like the Mele f10 Pro is the only sure fire way IMO.

Failing that, something that that will run a browser. Personally I just could not deal with the nonsense of which device will run what app and which device is still getting firmware updates so that said app will actually work.
  • cornishcornish Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Hi i was thinking an xbox one mainly for entertainment i.e netflix,amazon and sometimes now tv,plus demand players.I realise this is an expensive way ,but i want a one box solution.thoughts anyone ???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cornish wrote: »
    Hi i was thinking an xbox one mainly for entertainment i.e netflix,amazon and sometimes now tv,plus demand players.I realise this is an expensive way ,but i want a one box solution.thoughts anyone ???

A HTPC. Easily the best solution I would say. Xbmc, playon, netflix blah blah- the content never ends. Apple TV airplay is great too
  • cornishcornish Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    akki007 wrote: »
    A HTPC. Easily the best solution I would say. Xbmc, playon, netflix blah blah- the content never ends. Apple TV airplay is great too

Thanks for your advice akki007 but i should have said before that it needs to be family friendly.
  • DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The itv player on now tv isn't £9.99, it's free. Shite though.
  • arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    The itv player on now tv isn't £9.99, it's free. Shite though.

The NowTV box is £9.99 though