Options

General Election 2015 coverage

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC exit poll was pretty accurate. Not sure about the other channels.

Same exit poll. The three broadcasters commission the one poll so they end up with a single better sampled poll than three separate polls each with a smaller sample (and potential for error).
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    Same exit poll. The three broadcasters commission the one poll so they end up with a single better sampled poll than three separate polls each with a smaller sample (and potential for error).

I know it was the same exit poll but it seems the BBC expert was more accurate than the others.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they can do that before and after the election counting? Surely the night is about the counts.

Without context the results coming in can be misleading. For example the first results to come in were all Labour victories. Without commentary a casual viewer would think they were watching a Labour landslide. The commentators were pointing out that the swing was actually very bad for Labour.
  • Options
    wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite bit of the coverage was stumbling across Sky's live camera at my constituency's count.
    According to the live viewer counts on Youtube I was literally the only one watching it.

Rather than a webcam style long shot it was just an unattended camera and a mic shoved in the corner of the counting room. I spent a fair bit of time eavesdropping on conversations people were having :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Daily Mail still claiming the BBC were blatantly anti Conservative. What show were they watching?

And why do they still never declare their conflict of interest? That the Daily Mail group is a major shareholder in ITN, direct competitors to the BBC? How can anyone take their endless BBC criticisms seriously when all they're doing is slagging off a competitor for commercial self interest?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it was the same exit poll but it seems the BBC expert was more accurate than the others.

No, all three broadcasters made the same seat prediction from the exit poll.
  • Options
    gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed the Sky Arts thing from a technical point of view. .....
    I only observed it in short spells and fair play to Sky for showing it.

However, I would have rather heard more of what was being said, than a commentary over the top of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In what respect?

I was viewing primarily on Sky. Their expert was Professor Michael Thrasher, who was part of the joint exit poll team; overviewing it for Sky (ITV also had a representative).

Professor Thrasher was confident that the exit poll was broadly correct throughout and repeatedly said that its findings couldn't exclude the possibility of a small Conservative majority.

I was actually thinking that he was sounding rather too sure of himself. I have to admit now, that he was right!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gs1 wrote: »
    In what respect?

I was viewing primarily on Sky. Their expert was Professor Michael Thrasher, who was part of the joint exit poll team; overviewing it for Sky (ITV also had a representative).

Professor Thrasher was confident that the exit poll was broadly correct throughout and repeatedly said that its findings couldn't exclude the possibility of a small Conservative majority.

I was actually thinking that he was sounding rather too sure of himself. I have to admit now, that he was right!

The BBCs polling expert said the same thing.
  • Options
    BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    The Daily Mail still claiming the BBC were blatantly anti Conservative. What show were they watching?

And why do they still never declare their conflict of interest? That the Daily Mail group is a major shareholder in ITN, direct competitors to the BBC? How can anyone take their endless BBC criticisms seriously when all they're doing is slagging off a competitor for commercial self interest?

So, his entire argument is because the Beeb didn't spend the night fawning over how wonderful the Conservatives were, and because Nick Robinson dared to suggest that Ed Balls might actually be a nice person away from politics, it proves that the BBC deserve to be clubbed over the head and dismantled. Real subtle!

Besides, Neil Kinnock was only given as much talking time as he got because no important declarations happened to come in (which interrupted plenty of talking heads from all the parties throughout the night). And even then, you could hear David Dimbleby coughing and spluttering throughout, as if to say "Bloody hell, will you shut up already, you windbag?!"
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gs1 wrote: »
    That's the thing about experts. Their expertise means they do have a tendency to believe they are correct - and often they are ;-)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised we haven't had any ratings for yesterday's coverage - I'm assuming the BBC won hands-down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Surprised we haven't had any ratings for yesterday's coverage - I'm assuming the BBC won hands-down.

The ratings for Thursday night/Friday morning are on the ratings page. 4.4m on BBC. 897k on ITV. Channel 4's alternative election night had 1.11m :

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a646286/bbc-ones-general-election-coverage-tops-thursday-ratings-with-44m.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    That's the thing about experts. Their expertise means they do have a tendency to believe they are correct - and often they are ;-)
    My own exit poll- undertaken from a random sample of 3 people who passed through my living room- predicted a terrible night for the Conservatives.

I had no reason to doubt it, as I am an expert in my own living room! ;-):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zz9 wrote: »
    The BBCs polling expert said the same thing.
    In one way or another, BBC, ITV, & Sky had all participated in the formulation of the exit poll, so I'd have been surprised if any of them were saying anything substantially different.

There's an informative article on the New Statesman's election website that explains the involvement of BBC, Sky & ITN/ITV in the exit poll:

Election 2015: What is the exit poll and how does it work?
    http://www.may2015.com/featured/election-2015-what-is-the-exit-poll-and-how-does-it-work/
  • Options
    tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to watch next on bbc news and sky news and bbc Parliament on the
    Monday 18 th may new parliament summoned
    Wednesday 27 th may state opening and the queens speech
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And yet the ratings show beyond doubt that the vast majority of viewers prefer the BBC coverage (as they always do).I see adverts have resumed on ITV by the way.

Why of course. The nation's favourite broadcaster. I enjoyed hugely the BBC's 20 hour marathon.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings for Thursday night/Friday morning are on the ratings page. 4.4m on BBC. 897k on ITV. Channel 4's alternative election night had 1.11m :

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a646286/bbc-ones-general-election-coverage-tops-thursday-ratings-with-44m.html

I was thinking of the ratings through the day from yesterday morning - how did GMB do against the BBC juggernaut and ITV against their main bulletins, it looked like ITV had the same degree of success as the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking of the ratings through the day from yesterday morning - how did GMB do against the BBC juggernaut and ITV against their main bulletins, it looked like ITV had the same degree of success as the Lib Dems.

:D I reckon it was more or less the same as the all nighter before. BBC won by a mile and some. Surprised ITV did so badly. Thought they would have had at least a million viewers.