Flashback Friday - Kylie Minogue, Chocolate

Chris_YoungChris_Young Posts: 111
Forum Member
http://youtu.be/el27zYU1y_s

Definitely one of my favourites from the Body Language album and I think it's one of her most alluring my singles. Shame that it's all been forgotten. It was originally going feature a rap verse from Ludacris but that was scrapped. Thank god it was as the song is perfect with just Kylie's vocals!

Comments

• glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member

Definitely one of my favourites from the Body Language album and I think it's one of her most alluring my singles. Shame that it's all been forgotten. It was originally going feature a rap verse from Ludacris but that was scrapped. Thank god it was as the song is perfect with just Kylie's vocals!

Love the whole album. Red Blooded Women being one of my favourite Kylie singles. Wish she'd dig both that and Chocolate out on her next tour.

Out of all her many sounds over the years, this is the one I wish she'd return to the most. Gorgeous.
  • Chris_YoungChris_Young Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Love the whole album. Red Blooded Women being one of my favourite Kylie singles. Wish she'd dig both that and Chocolate out on her next tour.

Out of all her many sounds over the years, this is the one I wish she'd return to the most. Gorgeous.

Yes this is definitely my fave Kylie album because of the more urban/RnB sound she went for. Shame there was no tour for this album. Chocolate definitely needs to be revisited with a live performance next time she tours!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    I don't like the album version but preferred the single version a lot more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really good underrated Kylie song. It was the one I was instantly drawn to on my first listen of body language. Effortlessly sexy and seductive, I'm also of the opinion the single version is better it has that added oomph (I'm also glad there was no ludacris rap in the final version, I've heard the demo)
    Forum Member
    smfan123 wrote: »
    Really good underrated Kylie song. It was the one I was instantly drawn to on my first listen of body language. Effortlessly sexy and seductive, I'm also of the opinion the single version is better it has that added oomph (I'm also glad there was no ludacris rap in the final version, I've heard the demo)

What was the difference between the two versions? I didn't realised there was a single edit.
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Simon Cowell saying it was one of the "worst pop songs he'd ever heard"
    Forum Member
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    I remember Simon Cowell saying it was one of the "worst pop songs he'd ever heard"

Lmao! Really? He should go take a look at some of his X factor acts then and some of the crap they churn out. This one of Kylie's best underrated singles.
  • JakeXYJakeXY Posts: 59
    Forum Member

100% agree.

Chocolate is one of my favourite Kylie songs, it's beautiful. The Body Language era is pretty underrated. The Brigitte Bardot inspired imagery was perfect, the three singles and music videos were great, the album was strong and the Money Can't Buy show was amazing.
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JakeXY wrote: »
    100% agree.

Chocolate is one of my favourite Kylie songs, it's beautiful. The Body Language era is pretty underrated. The Brigitte Bardot inspired imagery was perfect, the three singles and music videos were great, the album was strong and the Money Can't Buy show was amazing.
    Completely agree.

It is by far my fave Kylie era. Everything about it was perfect IMO.
    Forum Member
    What was the difference between the two versions? I didn't realised there was a single edit.

The single version is slightly more polished and about 1 minute shorter. I don't know if she re-recorded the vocals as well.
    Forum Member
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    Completely agree.

It is by far my fave Kylie era. Everything about it was perfect IMO.

I love it when pop stars use any sort of Brigitte Bardot inspired imagery, the album booklet was stunning. Was Money Can't Buy her only live concert during this era?

I didn't even know they used a single edit lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it when pop stars use any sort of Brigitte Bardot inspired imagery, the album booklet was stunning. Was Money Can't Buy her only live concert during this era?

I didn't even know they used a single edit lol.
    Yep, Money Can't Buy was her only proper concert throughout the era. She did do a couple of club gigs though. One in particular was at G-A-Y around Red Blooded Woman's release.
  • MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »

I may be wrong but I'm sure he said that about Ride It by Geri Halliwell?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MK184 wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I'm sure he said that about Ride It by Geri Halliwell?
    Yep, you're right. Simon Cowell never made a comment about "Chocolate" - what a blatant lie. He said "Ride It" has one of the worst music videos ever and should never have been released. I don't even think he was talking about the song.

"If I was her record label and that video arrived on my desk I would throw it in the bin" - his exact words about Ride It, not Chocolate.
  • BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Chocolate is such a sexy and seductive song. Love it. Body Language might have peaked at a disappointing #6 on the UK chart, but it was certified platinum in the end.
  • day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of her best songs, and one of the only ones I like from Body Language which is an album that has always left me a little cold as a whole since I like fun pop Kylie the best.
    Forum Member
    One of her best songs, and one of the only ones I like from Body Language which is an album that has always left me a little cold as a whole since I like fun pop Kylie the best.

This is my fave Kylie album. It just flows so well. Trouble is it was bound to underperform (someone else in another post said it only reached no.6) as she was coming off the back of a very successful era with Fever. Crazy to think that but there's not that many artists that can pull off two successful eras back to back.
    Forum Member
    This is my fave Kylie album. It just flows so well. Trouble is it was bound to underperform (someone else in another post said it only reached no.6) as she was coming off the back of a very successful era with Fever. Crazy to think that but there's not that many artists that can pull off two successful eras back to back.

My favourite Kylie album too - up their with Impossible Princess. Loving Days is one of the most gorgeous songs she's ever released IMO. I would have loved a proper tour for this.

At the time I remember being very disappointed because it was such a different sound for her and I was annoyed that she moved so quickly from the sound that was clearly so successful for her. But looking back, i'm so glad she did. I still can't stand the album cover though. The artwork for this era was stunning, but that cover... horrid!

It's also one of her few albums which flows like a proper album. Some brilliant b-sides too. Almost a Lover and City Games are such good tracks.
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love Chocolate. One of my favourite Kylie tracks, and Body Language is possibly my favourite Kylie album. It was the first album of hers I bought and the first where I really took notice of her beyond her biggest singles.

Saying that, I also never noticed that their was a difference in the album and single versions of Chocolate! I have listened to both just now and it is pretty obvious so I don't know how I missed that previously - especially with the difference in length!

I'm also glad she didn't have a rapper on the track as that would have ruined a perfect song.