Options

Devolution for Cities in England?

2»

Comments

• Options
    RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the Lefties are worried that this Tory idea might actually be popular. I saw an interview on Sky News with a Liverpool councillor who wants this offered to them as well.

If Labour came up with this, you'd be all over it.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not from the Leeds City Region, I am from Yorkshire.

One problem with the proposal is that the devolution is too concentrated around one place within a county, and another is that we have to have mayors. I don't agree with personality politics.

The House of Commons should meet thrice a week, then on the other two days, MPs should attend assemblies or parliaments in their own regions/nations. No to separate devolved layers of politicians.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    << Effectively central control of NHS removed by Whitehall >>

That is exactly what it is not.

The centre is swapping micro-management of LA affairs, for more control over spending. The government can reduce the money spent, while saying that the reduction in e.g. libraries, is the LAs choice. Tricky when an LA has lots of departments all making representations, so put a mayor in charge to make it easy to manage. Just ensure the mayor is easy to push around.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't agree with this.

It's a cop-out. The likes of London and possibly Manchester might be able to justify city-state style devolution, but the rest of the country really needs something more fair and even that affects everyone, not just a few people in a couple of token cities.

Again, regional devolution, not this rubbish
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't Scottish Cities be allowed to devolve too?

Help mitigate against Holyrood diktats.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    i am god wrote: »
    labour oppose anything that gives the english a voice on there own destiny. labour the anti england party

Well, the Tories aren't giving the English a vote on devolution. Are they both anti-England parties?
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    The House of Commons should meet thrice a week, then on the other two days, MPs should attend assemblies or parliaments in their own regions/nations. No to separate devolved layers of politicians.

Too late ... as far as the currently devolved nations are concerned. Such an arrangement wouldn't work well anyway.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The idea of regional/city devolution is not new, it's been stolen from UKIP.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is Northern Powerhouse? Can anyone identify it on a map? I know where Yorkshire is, I recognise Lancashire and Northumberland, but Northern Powerhouse? Is it a place George Osborne dreamed up in a Number 10 brain storming session? And if George intends to create some new faux region, would it not be right to consult the people whose identities he seems intent on trampling over?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a typical cack handed idea from this government - see a real problem which was created by the government on the first place then find an inept solution to it in the hope it fails.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Devolve powers. Cut their money. Blame them for the ensuing problems.
    Job done.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course there's a public mood for further devolution of powers from Westminster...but this is not even back of the **** packet policy it's a back of a matchbook approach to significant constitutional and administrative matters.

What about the rural areas of Britain?
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »
    The idea existed long before UKIP ever existed
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    clinch wrote: »
    And if George intends to create some new faux region, would it not be right to consult the people whose identities he seems intent on trampling over?
    Oh please. I've seen some melodramatic nonsense in my time but takes it to a whole new level.

This is an idea widely supported by politicians of all parties across the North.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Seems strange the Big Idea is giving individual cities some powers. Would have thought to be more effective it would have been a regional solution.

In this case of Manchester, it's the whole of Greater Manchester (population c.2.7m). That can work because the councils already work together in a number of areas. If you attempted to try and bring areas in the surrounding regions into it too, you would hit problems as they would resent being lumped together with Manchester.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »

Really? Labour were proposing this 15 years ago.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    The idea existed long before UKIP ever existed
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Really? Labour were proposing this 15 years ago.

Of course it was mooted years ago, it's what's known as electioneering but in the past five years, it has been a UKIP policy and one that the Conservatives decided to nick. Don't be surprised if it splutters to a halt.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In this case of Manchester, it's the whole of Greater Manchester (population c.2.7m). That can work because the councils already work together in a number of areas. If you attempted to try and bring areas in the surrounding regions into it too, you would hit problems as they would resent being lumped together with Manchester.
    Liverpool is going to be upset, there's a lot of areas peripheral that are going to be upset and what appears to be on offer is limited
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is the problem in the West Midlands, while a few months back some of the West Midlands councils (Wolverhampton, Sandwell, Dudley, Walsall and Birmingham) agreed the need for a 'West Midlands Combined Authority' to oversee regeneration, transport and skills and put in combined bids to government. None of those councils will accept the idea of a Greater Birmingham with an elected mayor, while Tory Solihull and Labour Coventry wouldn't even countenance the idea of a limited combined authority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Liverpool is going to be upset, there's a lot of areas peripheral that are going to be upset and what appears to be on offer is limited

The Merseyside councils have already banded together as a City Region. If they want a similar arrangement to what GM are getting, then there's every chance they will be allowed to do so.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    Oh please. I've seen some melodramatic nonsense in my time but takes it to a whole new level.

This is an idea widely supported by politicians of all parties across the North.

Do you live in the north? I do. Where I live we recently had a council ballot because of an attempted power grab by an adjoining big city. It was rejected. The support for city devolution that I am aware of is from politicians of the major parties in the big cities who are licking their lips at the prospect of building city states with which to fund their retirement.

There's a good article here from a member of a fledgling organisation seeking devolution to a real place with a real history and tradition. Indeed, it was once a kingdom in its own right.

https://penistoneyorkshirefirst.wordpress.com/2015/05/15/northern-powerhouse-is-a-poor-sticking-plaster/