Nuisance Calls.

dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ive been getting calls for the last 2 days from this number 02037646849 its a London number. Ive never answered the calls. Im already registered with the TPS i thought the idea was that you wouldnt get any nuisance calls no more. Six calls in the past 2 days. Any other path i can go down by the way the calls are to my mobile number.

Comments

• kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    block the number?
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you know they are nuisance calls if you haven't answered them?
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive googled the number and says its a scam, im not able to block numbers on 02 which is a complete joke.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    TPS are useless.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are various call blocker apps for mobiles. Most have different settings, including blocking calls from anyone not in your contact list. If that doesn't suit you, you can block specific numbers or area codes.

Check the app store for your phone.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    Ive been getting calls for the last 2 days from this number 02037646849 its a London number.

Isn't it common for call centres to trick the system into displaying a number that isn't their real number? So [a] it may be a call from outside the UK and that could mean it's outside TPS's jurisdiction.

I've had nuisance calls which displayed very odd numbers (wrong number of digits) and one which displayed a number with the area code of a small town in Switzerland!
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing i often do if i get calls like this is to actually say "please take me off your calling list" or just "i don't want any more calls".

Personally, i've found it does work because a lot of these types of calls will use an auto-dialler to ring your number and if there's consistently no answer it'll just keep going.

As much as it's a pain, if you answer the phone and ask to be removed from marketing calls or just ask for no more calls, i do think they're obliged to do just that. Same goes with those calls where you answer and it's a recorded message - if it gives you the option to "press 9 to opt out of further calls" then do that.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    Same goes with those calls where you answer and it's a recorded message - if it gives you the option to "press 9 to opt out of further calls" then do that.

Both of which merely prove that your number is 'live', and will be marked with a higher priority and sold on to others.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both of which merely prove that your number is 'live', and will be marked with a higher priority and sold on to others.

I don't dispute that at all, but I can only speak from personal experience in that it has all but eliminated the number of nuisance calls i get, and i used to get plenty.