Download verses cd single / vinyl.. Taylor Swift for example

shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
Forum Member
✭✭
I can't see where the thrill is in buying a piece of "air". 1 track that when you eventually get bored of, you delete. Then 2 years later when you want to hear it, it's gone.
A cd single with 8 minute remix, live track, or brand new track, a cover version maybe. What's not to like.
What Taylor Swift fans will buy Bad Blood if they have the album?

Comments

• InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different cultures, different generations etc.

My g-g-g-generation grew up buying albums. I still do. Had a brief flirtation with singles during the punk years but would never download a single. It just seems pointless and how would I play it on my hi-fi? (I can, via wi-fi, DAC etc but it's nowhere near as easy as putting vinyl on the turntable).

Whereas people brought up on downloads probably think taking an album out of its sleeve, cleaning it, manually positioning the stylus over the groove etc is unbelievably labour intensive when they can just say "Siri, play Bad Blood" and their phone does all the work for them.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,954
    Forum Member
    I'm not a downloading fan either though I'm probably in that generation who do. I think that downloading is pointless. CD is the ultimate back up.

I do already have Taylor's album so I won't be buying the single. I rarely buy singles. I'm an album buyer.
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never buy download albums because I don't see the point when you can have a physical copy in your hands for the same price (or just a few pounds more).

I would prefer to buy CD singles, but when they are £5 (!!) on Amazon, I'd much rather just buy the song for 99p on iTunes, especially if it's by an artist I don't really like, or would never buy an album from (e.g. Rita Ora) or for a one-off song that I heard in an advert, for example.
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i always buy physical albums. i hardly ever buy singles but if i do i download them. a physical single would take up too much space for just one song.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I think if singles were worth buying people would be more inclined to buy them. Back in the 90's you could get a CD single with 6+ remixes or several b-sides. They were worth buying.

In the early 00's they introduced 2 tracks which were often just not worth the plastic they were burned onto.

I love my singles, but these day I only buy them for my absolutely favourite artists. They are a rip off.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone really listen to all those remixes more than once, though?
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I miss is the B-side but remix packages are usually released for around £1.99. Singled are easier and cheaper to download you can stream to most hi-if and it's just how things have progressed. As fir albums In an artwork lover so still but physical as I feel the package and style of an era adds to the overall experience.
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there's any right or wrong but it depends on how much room you have.

I was obsessed with buying cd's when I was growing up and I have 1000's now and I just can't be bothered having any more.

If you're not a big buyer and have space then that's good but everyone's different.

I just download albums now because it's just easier as it doesn't take up physical space which I prefer. I also got Taylor's album for 99p on google play the other week which was much better than paying for the CD.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    I can't see where the thrill is in buying a piece of "air". 1 track that when you eventually get bored of, you delete. Then 2 years later when you want to hear it, it's gone.
    A cd single with 8 minute remix, live track, or brand new track, a cover version maybe. What's not to like.
    What Taylor Swift fans will buy Bad Blood if they have the album?

Well Taylor has released a remixed bad blood with kendrick Lamar, so I'm guessing her fans will buy it as it's not on the album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Well Taylor has released a remixed bad blood with kendrick Lamar, so I'm guessing her fans will buy it as it's not on the album.

Yup. The standard and deluxe album versions of BB are currently in the iTunes top 40 as well as the Kendrick Lamar version so someone is still buying it.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Did anyone really listen to all those remixes more than once, though?

Possibly not, but at least us CD lovers got our money's worth. I'll be honest, I have tons of CD singles, but only a handful still get played on a semi-regular basic.

I'll use Madonna as a recent example. Her latest single was released on a lame 2-track CD. Why? It would have been just as easy to have put all ten of the songs remixes onto a CD, and in doing so would have sold a more copies. Pet Shop Boys and Erasure have been doing just that for years, and Madonna would gain much more financially than PSBs and Erasure.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Even as late as 2011 my local HMV had a top 10 singles section but of course, it wasn't the same as the official chart top 10 as not everything was released on CD single and they were £1.99 and £2.99.

I do think labels should have done more with the format. I believe 25 minutes is the maximum time allowed on a single to make it chart eligable. There is no excuse for 2 songs for £2.99 or even £1.99. They should have filled them up. And as for them not being profitable, i've always said, show people them and they will buy them. It's the same with vinyl now. People keep saying vinyl is back! The truth is it never went away. I think most people go to their local supermarket and whatever is there is there. If it's not there then it must not exist. How many of you knew HMV did CD singles in 2011? How many new vinyl buyers knew that it never went away and their local HMV probably had it for years but they just never knew or never wanted to bother looking? If labels had CD singles at £1.99 with 4 or 5 songs on it i bet people would buy them. And put them on stands, front of store, front of the music section, entertainment section or whatever. Put them where people can see them and give them value for money and they WILL buy them.