ukebraukebra Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    radiotuner wrote: »
    Five Live has been awesome today.

Peter Allen is a Radio God.

John Pinnear brilliant.

It has been an all round great listen.

Anyone else agree?

I was thinking exactly the same thing. John Pienaar must either be cloned or be on something - he can hardly have slept for the past six weeks. He is superb; an example to any political reporter. And Peter Allen doing what he does best; absolutely in his element. I was hoping for a hung parliament so we could have more of the same...
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    An excellent fo-par from Rachel Hodges when reading the 12 noon news today. She referred to the station as 5 Liar

Many would agree with her
  • Options
    didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    An excellent fo-par from Rachel Hodges when reading the 12 noon news today. She referred to the station as 5 Liar

Many would agree with her

Now, that is a faux pas.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    phil williams....

for me...miles out of his depth.
    just too chatty, lightweight and brummy.
    it sounds awful late at night.
    like commercial radio but worse...

anyone agree?

I hate that silly music quiz he does and when he has a decent guest on after midnight they get about 20 minutes. Pointless
  • Options
    Forum Member
    didas wrote: »
    Now, that is a faux pas.

I thought I may have spelt it incorrectly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Hi - I can't listen to UAN anymore - used to do shift work but now have to up @ silly o'clock! is there still the film slot?
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the Bishop had a brain transplant ? He's talking sense !
  • Options
    radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Have you noticed how Rachel seems to do the big political interviews these days. I know Nicky does a few, but Rachel now seems to do the most and she is far better at it.

I always think Nicky likes to prepare several questions that are aimed at him looking good and take us no further on in the discussion.

Rachel was great with Jeremy Hunt today (he side stepped every question but Rachel was clever enough to frame the questions in such a way that we could see he wasn't answering them) We were left thinking Rachel had asked the questions and Jeremy Hunt (the clues in the name) was intent on smarmily avoiding them.

I know that many will disagree with me on this post, but I really do think Rachel is becoming a class act.
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re the comments about Phil Williams, I'm not sure how much the problems with that show are down to him or the format? my only reason for saying that is that whenever he was presenting other shows in the past, he's been fine. I wonder if he's just doing his best with a poor format? I can't believe he much enjoys having to interupt guests to play the silly music quiz. I might be wrong and he may be the one making the decisions about his show, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PW is an experienced enough broadcaster to be allowed some input into his show. Clearly the budget for the show is minimal but he must know that midnight music 'quiz' is utter gash.

Rachel Burdon is a superb broadcaster as are Caroline Barker and Ellie Oldroyd. On the other hand Kelly Cates and Anna Foster are a waste of signal.
  • Options
    Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    I think that Burden is better when it comes to the more emotional or personal interest stories, whereas Campbell is superior when it cones to the political interviews. His recent interview with David Cameron just before the election was very good.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma Barnett's voice is awful. Far too posh and all at the back of the throat.

Her personality is also one of 'I'm much better than you.'
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're listening to the Breakfast show tomorrow around 6.40, keep your ears open for Lee Calder, he's a friend of mine. Raised a lot of money for a local football player.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,073
    Forum Member
    What happened to that programme they had on a Sunday evening covering the "top 40 stories of the week form listeners"?

Did it get bad ratings so they scrapped it or just not aired during the election run up etc?
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma Barnett's voice is awful. Far too posh and all at the back of the throat.

Her personality is also one of 'I'm much better than you.'

Barnett's voice posh ???? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    RAJARs - Radio 5 Live down nearly 7% on the year to 5.8 million.

I was no fan of Bacon but Afternoon Edition is dire.
    Demonstrates how poor the presenters are that Emma Barnett is a slight improvement on Sarah Brett
  • Options
    droopsnoutdroopsnout Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid the station has lost its way at most times of day. From being a listener throughout the day whenever awake, I now tune in for a fraction of my previous hours.

Trouble is, for a lot of the day, there is no competition to turn to. Can't do with the London-centric, right-wing LBC with its opinionated presenters or pointless night-time phone-ins with no calls but an endless procession of inanities from strange presenters. Even Dotun is better than that!

Radio 4 is really my only alternative port of call, which is great for the serious news bulletins and hugely enjoyable comedies, but whose arts and culture coverage is (embarrassingly) of little interest to me.

Anyway, with the dumbing down and poor choice of presenter on Five Live, I'm not so much of a radio listener any more.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, with the dumbing down and poor choice of presenter on Five Live, I'm not so much of a radio listener any more.[/QUOTE]

That's me too. Very poor presenters and scheduling, replaced with poor presenters and very very poor scheduling. With no/not much football for a few months next quarter's RAJARs will be very interesting.
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, last year, 5Live had a lot of sport over the summer (World Cup, Commonwealth games) as well as the usual Wimbledon and open coverage. there is the U21 Euro championships in June but I don't think that'll be a huge ratings puller so as someone who mainly listens to 5Live for their sport coverage, I won't be listening a huge amount. The football season does seem to start a bit early next season (something like the 9th August) so we'll get the endless football chats from mid July no doubt!
    I do think, on the whole, the new schedule hasn't worked. Dan and Sarah are, I'm sure, very nice people, but Dan is light weight and Sarah is just an inane presenter! the morning show needs 1 presenter going through the week, not the silly half and half job we have at the moment. Drive is a good listen and I still think 5Live's sport coverage is excellent but like others, I'm listening less.
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Allen and Tony Livesey are about the only reason I still have it on my favourites on my radio
  • Options
    radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I still enjoy WUTM, Breakfast and Drive. I agree that one presenter for mid-morning would be better. Adrian Chiles simply isn't right for that timeslot. He is so laconic and it makes him sound uninterested and ponderous. Peter Allen is far better. Having this half and half split is almost as if the schedulers are meeting the wants of the presenters rather than the needs of the listeners.

I never hear the afternoons, though I do like drive which is made by Tony Livesey. I would put him in mid morning and have this Allen/Chiles hybrid at drive time.

I have no real view about Phil Williams, it is there and it doesn't offend. I find Nolan infuritating and yet kind of compulsive. I think his style of egocentric journalism discredits journalism...but I do listen and strangely miss him when he's not there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    5 live is getting worse programs wise, Even on the football front
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can they stop using tabloid language in news like Brexit for British exit from the EU? The 5 Live listeners are capable of listening to the news without the need for silly immature words to grab their attention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Can they stop using tabloid language in news like Brexit for British exit from the EU? The 5 Live listeners are capable of listening to the news without the need for silly immature words to grab their attention.

They're probably under instructions from their masters at "The Guardian"
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just dipping in to the Nolan show , out of interest, has he been going on about Ireland's Yes vote since 8pm ? !
This discussion has been closed.