Options

Not again! BBC plunged into new deception row

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
Forum Member
✭✭
The BBC was plunged into a new deception row today after a cameraman posed as a member of the public on one of its daytime shows.

The Independent

Couldn't find any reference to this story on the BBC news website.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Seems like an indespendent production company deceived the BBC; and as a result the BBC have suspended their contract with this producer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The company recognises it is a serious breach of editorial standards of which the BBC was not made aware. Reef Television will co-operate fully with the BBC's investigation and has launched its own inquiry."

Should the BBC be psychic?
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    obviously i'm biased, working for the BBC and all, but isn't the fault with Reef Television rather than the BBC?

i suppose that's me all over thought - defending the indefensible and all.

presumably, now that this has come to light, the important thing is what are the BBC doing? it sounds to me that by suspending business relations with Reef Television, they're doing the right thing. but perhaps others disagree, i don't know.

as for *row* - who actually is rowing with who? is a nation really up in arms about this awful deception, which resulted in, um, well, not that much, lets be honest.

Iain
  • Options
    u006852u006852 Posts: 7,283
    Forum Member
    So the BBC acted perfectly correctly.

It's amazing how many of these non stories get posted by a certain number of posters.
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shouldnt the thread title be BBC decieved by independant production company?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Quite how this undermines anybody's confidence in the BBC, I don't know. Although I didn't watch this unmissable broadcast, I hardly think anybody's confidence in the integrity of TV would have been impacted.

This kind of reactionary drivel is exacly what led thousands to complain about Ross and Brand, but only after the media whipped up a frenzy. Before that, the Beeb had only a handful of complaints.

Chillax, Slow Motion! There's far bigger things in the world to worry about. Does your kettle need de-scaling or something?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Apres wrote: »
    Quite how this undermines anybody's confidence in the BBC, I don't know. Although I didn't watch this unmissable broadcast, I hardly think anybody's confidence in the integrity of TV would have been impacted.

This kind of reactionary drivel is exacly what led thousands to complain about Ross and Brand, but only after the media whipped up a frenzy. Before that, the Beeb had only a handful of complaints.

Chillax, Slow Motion! There's far bigger things in the world to worry about. Does your kettle need de-scaling or something?

IIRC, they had two complaints before the media frenzy, and they were for Ross swearing rather than the content of the phone calls to Andrew Sachs.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like an indespendent production company deceived the BBC; and as a result the BBC have suspended their contract with this producer.
    No seems about it - that was indeed the story, and as reported the BBC has done entirely the correct thing in suspending the production company concerned when this deception came to light, and the production company has also issued a full apology and has accepted full responsibility. Just goes to show the added risks of outsourcing programme production, and the positive reaction from the BBC.

A Reef Television spokesman said: "Reef Television wishes to apologise unreservedly for misleading Sun, Sea & Bargain Spotting viewers and the BBC.

"The company recognises it is a serious breach of editorial standards of which the BBC was not made aware.

Reef Television will co-operate fully with the BBC's investigation and has launched its own inquiry."

A non-story really. Still, it gives SloMo et al something else to whinge and tut-tut about, even if the thread title is incorrect, and even if the article itself makes it clear that the BBC was not at fault.. But never let the facts get in the way of an agenda eh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness, aside from the 'Not again', the thread title is the headline from the article. Yes, it's still erroneous, but the error lies with the Indy, not SlowMo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vertigo93 wrote: »
    In fairness, aside from the 'Not again', the thread title is the headline from the article. Yes, it's still erroneous, but the error lies with the Indy, not SlowMo.

But an error that the OP did nothing to point out, nor to correct by way of a quote from the article concerned.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    The Independent

I guess you'll not be watching Sun, Sea etc again :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Independent

I like the use of the emmotive word "plunged"...

Sort of makes headline grabbing attention over what is basically a non story.

:)
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    But an error that the OP did nothing to point out, nor to correct by way of a quote from the article concerned.

Good lord. did you expect him to then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the use of the emmotive word "plunged"...

Sort of makes headline grabbing attention over what is basically a non story.

:)
    And of course the little dig at the BBC in saying that there was no mention of it on the BBC News website (as if to imply some degree of embarrassment or censorship).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And of course the little dig at the BBC in saying that there was no mention of it on the BBC News website (as if to imply some degree of embarrassment or censorship).

You really would think it would take precedence over LIbya and Afghanistan etc wouldn't you...

Plunging the BBC into another major crisis 'n all.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    http://search.bbc.co.uk/search?scope=all&tab=all&q=%22reef+television%22
    The only mention of Reef TV on the BBC website at all is the Sun, Sea and Bargain Spotting be on a show website. www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/beonashow/sun_sea_bargain.shtml
    Looks like they don't want to admit to being duped. :(
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sort of stuff will just continue unless there are severe punishments for indy production companies. It's a serious issue because it damages the BBCs reputation, even though it seems like a trivial thing it puts doubt into peoples minds. Drip drip drip.

Just saying "it wasn't the BBC so no harm done" is missing the point. The BBC is harmed by these actions out of all proportion to the "offence"

The indys need to be self-policing because they are the only ones in a position to do so.

If the BBC can issue "fines" to the directors of these companies then they should be doing it. I don't know if the law would allow a clause in a contract to penalise directors of indy production companies. Sums to go to the BBC coffers.

If the BBC is NOT in a position to make directors of such companies personally liable for issues such as this (via "fines") then perhaps they should be able to do so.

The reason you need senior people punished and not the company is because people will always "risk it" if they themselves face no possibility of punishment.

If the directors of a company face big "fines" for the actions of staff then they will be most eager to police the company.
  • Options
    u006852u006852 Posts: 7,283
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    This sort of stuff will just continue unless there are severe punishments for indy production companies. It's a serious issue because it damages the BBCs reputation, even though it seems like a trivial thing it puts doubt into peoples minds. Drip drip drip.

Just saying "it wasn't the BBC so no harm done" is missing the point. The BBC is harmed by these actions out of all proportion to the "offence"

The indys need to be self-policing because they are the only ones in a position to do so.

If the BBC can issue "fines" to the directors of these companies then they should be doing it. I don't know if the law would allow a clause in a contract to penalise directors of indy production companies. Sums to go to the BBC coffers.

If the BBC is NOT in a position to make directors of such companies personally liable for issues such as this (via "fines") then perhaps they should be able to do so.

The reason you need senior people punished and not the company is because people will always "risk it" if they themselves face no possibility of punishment.

If the directors of a company face big "fines" for the actions of staff then they will be most eager to police the company.

OMG, you would think someone committed corporate manslaughter!

Hang , draw and quarter the offender then put his head on a spike in BBC TVC lobby!

I think a bit of common sense is needed here.

The BBC has not been damaged by this one little bit.

Anyone without an agenda and an ounce of common sense would read the article and go "so what" and "the BBC acted appropriately".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goggled wrote: »
    Can the mods kindly alter the thread title to

Another deceptive thread title by slow motion?:D
    Apart from the "Not again!" the title of the thread is taken directly from the independent.

Your post adds nothing to the debate.

Can the mods kindly do something about these trolls intent on disruptive poster-bashing about legitimate thread titles, instead of debating issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the "Not again!" the title of the thread is taken directly from the independent.

Which I hope you appreciate I acknowledged
    Can the mods kindly do something about these trolls intent on disruptive poster-bashing about legitimate thread titles, instead of debating issues.

Well debate the issue then - something you haven't done from your opening post.

Have they not acted swiftly over the matter and done exactly what they should be expected to do in a situation like this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your post adds nothing to the debate.

So what's the issue...

An independent company making a programme for the BBC used one of it's cameramen to make out he was a member of the public.

Somehow the BBC is supposed to know that the person in question worked as a cameraman for the said company...
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

in what way is the BBC harmed?

anybody can see the fault didn't lie with the BBC.

and further that the BBC acted appropriately and quickly.

so why would any reasonable person find fault with the BBC here?

Iain
  • Options
    noelfirlnoelfirl Posts: 455
    Forum Member

What phucking issues? Perhaps next time you're online you could debate the rebuttal points below to the supposed "issues" you've raised in your OP...
    Vertigo93 wrote: »
    iain wrote: »
    presumably, now that this has come to light, the important thing is what are the BBC doing? it sounds to me that by suspending business relations with Reef Television, they're doing the right thing. but perhaps others disagree, i don't know.
    u006852 wrote: »
    So the BBC acted perfectly correctly.
    No seems about it - that was indeed the story, and as reported the BBC has done entirely the correct thing in suspending the production company concerned when this deception came to light, and the production company has also issued a full apology and has accepted full responsibility. Just goes to show the added risks of outsourcing programme production, and the positive reaction from the BBC.

Somehow I severely doubt you will though... call it 'intuition'.
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member

It was your choice to post it here. Therefore you are culpable. You didn't have to copy and paste it.

If the Indie themselves had posted it here we'd be calling them overreacting dolts instead. But they didn't. You did.

Phazer
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    so why would any reasonable person find fault with the BBC here?

We're not talking with reasonable people here though, we're talking about the anti BBC/LF obsessives who ocupy this forum.