New Sky router seems to be absolutely useless!

Morning all (just!),

I recently made the leap to get Sky and had a total revamp by using their broadband service too. I was happy with my previous provider and all that, but it seemed easier to have it all in one place.

However, I'm afraid to say I've not been totally happy with the capabilities of the Sky router I was given. I would be sat in my room surfing when all of a sudden I'll lose connectivity. I try reconnecting but all it says is "Unable to connect to SKY#####" repeatedly until eventually (after me constantly clicking disconnect, connect) it'll reconnect with a strong signal. The annoying thing is my laptop KNOWS the wi-fi is there and it says it's available, but it just won't connect. I know this isn't a problem with my laptop because my son's computer is having the exact same problem.

Also, it doesn't seem very phone-friendly. My iPhone really really struggles to reman connected to the wi-fi and often says "Unable to connect" but when it IS connected, it won't do anything. Youtube videos won't load, BBC news app won't update, Google maps won't buffer, it all just sits there loading indefinitely. It's quicker to turn the wi-fi off and use the 3G!

Really really frustrating and disappointing, so I'd appreciate any advice to sort this matter.

Cheers, TH.

P.S. I was told the connection might be dodgy for the first 10 days after installation, but it's way past that!

Comments

• max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    With issues like this, the first thing to try is to change the wireless channel, as the router may be operating on the same frequency as one of your neighbour's wireless networks. So log into the router and change the channel to either 1, 6 or 11. Or preferably, download inSSIDer and see which channels are currently the less cluttered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, and yes Sky give out crap routers, my one keeps resetting itself so i lose everything on it. Bloody nightmare. Should really change it but thats a hassle in itself. Hardly have any time these days.
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    God almighty! How can any ISP (let alone a provider like Sky) put a rider in your installation saying it "might be dodgy for the first 10 days"???? That in itself would be enough reason never to use them.
    I've used Eircom and BT, and although I've had issues I have always had the best connectivity I could get from day one, which I think is something you should be able to expect!
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Trollheart wrote: »
    God almighty! How can any ISP (let alone a provider like Sky) put a rider in your installation saying it "might be dodgy for the first 10 days"???? That in itself would be enough reason never to use them.
    I've used Eircom and BT, and although I've had issues I have always had the best connectivity I could get from day one, which I think is something you should be able to expect!

It's standard practice for the speed to fluctuate for the first 10 days after installation. This allows the maximum stable connection speed to be set for that particular phone line.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, up to 10 days of good old DLM, followed by the call to Sky to setup the line properly afterwards...
    I'd agree with using inSSIDer to check for channel conflicts first.
    There are quite a few Sky routers near me all using channel 1.
    Channel 13 is usually clear as most people pick a channel in the US range 1-11 (1,6,11) rather than European range 1-13. (1,5,9,13)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    RED_ wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, and yes Sky give out crap routers, my one keeps resetting itself so i lose everything on it. Bloody nightmare. Should really change it but thats a hassle in itself. Hardly have any time these days.

Try ringing Sky on 08442 410 515 . If you've had Sky less than a year they'll send you a replacement free.
    I think replacements after 12months use are £28.
    Either way, it's pot luck which router you get : D-Link,Sagem or Netgear.
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    It's standard practice for the speed to fluctuate for the first 10 days after installation. This allows the maximum stable connection speed to be set for that particular phone line.

Never happened to me. Day one, as I said, good to perfect connection and no problems. Maybe it's an English thing?
  • rocky racoonrocky racoon Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Greyowl wrote: »
    Try ringing Sky on 08442 410 515 . If you've had Sky less than a year they'll send you a replacement free.
    I think replacements after 12months use are £28.
    Either way, it's pot luck which router you get : D-Link,Sagem or Netgear.

I had a router problem a couple of months ago, I was well out of 12 month contract and they didn't charge me a penny, infact they sent me 2:D
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    give it time - our sky router / connection was woeful for about a month, now its fine, zero disconnections etc...- give it at least one month