Snow on the Dish - No Sky

eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Maybe Im posting in the wrong place but when I got home Saturday night, I found that my sky plus box had failed to record ITV and CH4. When I checked the channels, all I had was BBC1 and BBC2. Everything else was blue screen or frozen.
Today (sunday) i guess the snow has been dropping off the dish as I now can get ITV and CH4 and a few digital channels but not news or movies.
Do other people have this too? With predictions of more snow to come, it could be a case of no TV this xmas...Id better get some dvds in.

Comments

• SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or a broom and a step ladder?
  • Miss ListerMiss Lister Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »

That's exactly what we have to do every time we get a lot of snow. We also throw sticks and various objects at the dish to dislodge snow. I do live in a bungalow though.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and a husband in my case....lol
  • PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of those water blaster toys filled with an anti-freeze mixture does the trick for me - don't have to worry about ladders in this weather.

Seems to work well up to about 6M above ground level
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lose sky everytime we have heavy rain or a storm. So far in the snow it's been ok.

I've found its definitely not as reliable as analogue though.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    eye3 wrote: »
    Maybe Im posting in the wrong place but when I got home Saturday night, I found that my sky plus box had failed to record ITV and CH4. When I checked the channels, all I had was BBC1 and BBC2. Everything else was blue screen or frozen.
    Today (sunday) i guess the snow has been dropping off the dish as I now can get ITV and CH4 and a few digital channels but not news or movies.
    Do other people have this too? With predictions of more snow to come, it could be a case of no TV this xmas...Id better get some dvds in.

Same happened to me when I Sky+ the second day of the third Ashes test - perhaps just as well that it didn't record properly. :cool:
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah ... I had a blue screen on a couple of Sky channels over the weekend. Snow on the satellite dish! Thanks for the tip-off. I'll send the cat up on the kitchen roof to brush the snow off!
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I took to standing on recycle boxes & using a mop stick to dislodge the snow on my dish on Saturday & got a face full of snow for my troubles but at least I got my channels back so it was worth it :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had the same thing over the weekend, we knocked the snow off and it worked fine again :]
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't had this problem thus far during the current conditions, but I find digital TV can be very temperamental if the weather takes a turn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had the same problem all day Saturday. Phoned Sky, waited ages to speak to someone, their advise was to brush the snow off the dish....Errr how do you do that without a set of ladders at hand??? Useless. Came back yesterday after OH did a re-set. Shouldn't really happen in this day and age. Surely Sky should've known that there was a chance snow and rain would get on the dish? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decky3 wrote: »
    We had the same problem all day Saturday. Phoned Sky, waited ages to speak to someone, their advise was to brush the snow off the dish....Errr how do you do that without a set of ladders at hand??? Useless. Came back yesterday after OH did a re-set. Shouldn't really happen in this day and age. Surely Sky should've known that there was a chance snow and rain would get on the dish? :confused:

I just leant out a window with a broom and hoped the wife wouldn't sneak up and push me ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would think in this day and age that satellite services could cope better, we can't even have SKY now as there is a tree across the road in the direct line of sight for the dish....groan
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like a fair comment to me, Decky: instead of waiting days to get a repair man out, why not hop up some ladders and do it yourself? Or borrow ladders from a neighbour?

There's an immense tree, three gardens down from mine. HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE monstrosity of a tree. It knackered my Sky signal, and I had to have the dish repositioned. That's something you need to call a little man out for, not scooting some snow off the receiver.
  • tweenietweenie Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lose sky everytime we have heavy rain or a storm. So far in the snow it's been ok.

I've found its definitely not as reliable as analogue though.

That's progress for you. Can't say I'm looking forward to analogue being switched off, though I do watch some digital channels occasionally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tweenie wrote: »
    That's progress for you. Can't say I'm looking forward to analogue being switched off, though I do watch some digital channels occasionally.

Surely rain/snow does not affect digital terrestial (roof aerials) though???:confused::confused::confused:

[In other words, it's just dishes that have some drawbacks.]
  • LarocLaroc Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's usually in heavy rain I have problems, there is a lot of snow where I am but thankfully this has not affected my Sky dish yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like a fair comment to me, Decky: instead of waiting days to get a repair man out, why not hop up some ladders and do it yourself? Or borrow ladders from a neighbour?

There's an immense tree, three gardens down from mine. HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE monstrosity of a tree. It knackered my Sky signal, and I had to have the dish repositioned. That's something you need to call a little man out for, not scooting some snow off the receiver.

That's fair enough, but why should I go borrowing ladders? My dish is very high up and nowhere near a window for me to use a brush. Climbing up snowy ladders shouldn't be something Sky expect you to do. Sainsbury's don't ring up and ask me to help unload their lorries before I can shop.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's fair enough, but why should I go borrowing ladders? My dish is very high up and nowhere near a window for me to use a brush. Climbing up snowy ladders shouldn't be something Sky expect you to do. Sainsbury's don't ring up and ask me to help unload their lorries before I can shop.....

Perhaps a well directed hose ?!!!!!!!:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harrowing. wrote: »
    Perhaps a well directed hose ?!!!!!!!:D:D

Ok you win! Never thought of that.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok you win! Never thought of that.....

Let us know if it works :)

PS Not TOO much pressure to avoid damage!
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

First of all why would they be snowy ladders? anyone with a bit of common sense would clean the ladders first.

Secondly what are you expecting of Sky, them to send someone to every house affected by an act of god? good luck with that one. Legally they have no requirement, you brought the item and as long as it is no fault of sky (an act of god is not the responsibility of councils, companies etc as was legally decided) then it is your responsibility to fix the issue.

Thirdly you comparison to the Sainsbury story makes no sense whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let us know if it works :)

PS Not TOO much pressure to avoid damage!

Will do. It was ok yesterday but will try next time. :)
    vampirek wrote: »
    First of all why would they be snowy ladders? anyone with a bit of common sense would clean the ladders first.

Secondly what are you expecting of Sky, them to send someone to every house affected by an act of god? good luck with that one. Legally they have no requirement, you brought the item and as long as it is no fault of sky (an act of god is not the responsibility of councils, companies etc as was legally decided) then it is your responsibility to fix the issue.

Thirdly you comparison to the Sainsbury story makes no sense whatsoever.

It was snowing heavy here and wouldn't take long for snow to build up, plus ice does form therefore risking the chances of slippage.
    Actually I didn't expect Sky to dispatch someone to me, but I had not one channel for over 10 hours with kids including a teenager expecting to be entertained and moaning because it was the end of the world not having Sky, and was treated with contempt by customer services, I am paying high prices for a service afterall.
    As with Sainsbury's, my point there was that they don't expect me to do work for them for their service unlike Sky seem too.
  • tweenietweenie Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely rain/snow does not affect digital terrestial (roof aerials) though???:confused::confused::confused:

[In other words, it's just dishes that have some drawbacks.]

Sorry, you are right, I went off topic as this thread is about snow and sky.

I was just having a moan about freeview pixellation and loss of sound. I guess I'll have to think about new equipment (box and/or aerial) if still as bad when analogue switched off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tweenie wrote: »
    Sorry, you are right, I went off topic as this thread is about snow and sky.

I was just having a moan about freeview pixellation and loss of sound. I guess I'll have to think about new equipment (box and/or aerial) if still as bad when analogue switched off.

Our sky picture pixellated sat pm, my wife said let's just watch it on freeview, but I said "nah, I'd rather have a poke around first"......

and afterwards I swept the snow off the dish

[boom, boom ;)]