Options

getting rid of the smell of vomit?

80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
Forum Member
My son was sick last night on the floor of the toilet, I didnt see how much there was but apparently there was loads of it. DP cleared it up and got the mop and bucket with diluted bleach in and cleaned the floor (lino). However my eldest son came home from staying out last night and as soon as he walked in commented on the smell of vomit.
I have again got a fresh bucket of water, bleach AND disenfectant cleaned the floor and I can still smell it.

Any advice on getting rid of the smell:)

Comments

• Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Googled...

If someone vomits on the floor, then you need to mop up the vomit quickly. While you won't have a problem with tile or glass floors, you need to be very quick when you're dealing with wooden floors. Wood is porous, and the liquid from the vomit will be absorbed very quickly by the pores of the material. A mop, door mats, old rags, or paper towels should be used immediately to pick up the excess moisture that will seep into the wood. (Tips on how to clean wood floors)

Soap Away

Soap and water are your best friends when cleaning vomit stains. It takes a while before you can completely remove the odors from the vomit, but you can remove the odor easier with the following tricks:

Use strong-scented soap. Mint scented soaps and other soaps with a strong scent are great at masking the spoiled odor of vomit. (Why not try creating a cinnamon soap, learn how to make cinnamon soap)
    Try pet odor removal soaps. Pet soaps have a strong scent that can help hide or even eliminate the vomit smell.
    Make a blend of shampoo and conditioner. Shampoo and conditioner is not just for hair. Many hair care products have strong odors that can help remove odors. Use the shampoo and conditioner in the same way that you wash your own hair. (Want to know other uses fo shampoo, see Extraodinary uses for shampoo)
    Try Vinegar Water

Vinegar is a useful kitchen and cleaning ingredient that can help get rid of vomit smells. Gastric acids have a pH level of 1.5 to 2.0. The many acids found in vinegar are more neutral, with a pH level of 2.9. The lower acidity of vinegar helps it to neutralize the odor of vomit smells. To make a cleaning solution out of vinegar, you need the following ingredients:

One part distilled white vinegar
    Two parts warm water
    A few drops of citrus-scented liquid soap or liquid dish washing detergent.
    Mix the ingredients together in a metal bowl, and wash off the vomit stain. If the vomit has permeated into the cushion of the couch or the nap of the carpeting, you need to scrub it off with a brush or a sponge. Dry the area under the sun, or use a warm blower or air dryer. (Want to know the other uses of vinegar? read how to make household uses for vinegar)

Sprinkle On Some Baking Soda

The acidic smell of vomit can be neutralized with an alkaline substance like baking soda. When mixed with water, baking soda has a very alkaline pH level of 8.3, which is enough to counteract and neutralize the acidic substances and odors found in vomit. To make a cleaning solution from baking soda, you need the following ingredients and tools:

Baking soda (For more uses of baking soda, read 75 extraordinary uses for baking soda)
    A small amount of water
    A plastic bowl
    Sponge or a mop
    Paper towels
    Vacuum cleaner
    Follow these easy steps to get rid of the vomit smell:

Clean what you can of the vomit using a sponge or a mop.
    Make a paste with some baking soda and water. The paste should be of a thick consistency. If the vomit is runny or watery, you can use the baking soda on its own.
    Cover the baking soda and vomit pool with paper towels, and leave it there overnight.
    Take out the paper towels, and suck out the baking soda lumps with the vacuum cleaner.
    Use Window Cleaner

Window cleaning sprays are effective at removing the foul odors found in vomit. Make sure to use a diluted window cleaner spray, because the chemicals in the full-strength cleaning liquid may discolor or fray the textile covering your couch, or the fibers of your carpeting.

Vomit is one of those funky-smelling stains that linger on for days. Removing vomit smells will take a lot of hard work and elbow grease, but you don't want your house smelling like a tavern at 3 in the morning. With these hints and tricks, not even the smell of a gallon of vomit will linger in the air for too long. If you're interested in reading this article, you'll surely enjoy reading how to get rid of vomit stains.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80's chick wrote: »
    Any advice on getting rid of the smell:)

Biological washing (clothes) liquid in water.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From personal experience :o bicarb does the job on the carpet, left on for an hour or so then vacuumed up.
  • Options
    gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bicarb works well as it neutralises the smell. My daughter threw up over her bed Christmas night- and it soaked through the duvet into her mattress and the bicard had got rid of the smell -trying to wash the duvet has been my problem!!
  • Options
    Charlie_the_catCharlie_the_cat Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pay £80 to a taxi driver?
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Febreeze worked great on our carpet when grand-daughter decorated it!
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet accident cleaner works too!:)
  • Options
    maxinerulesmaxinerules Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's DP?
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    What's DP?

Darling partner??? Something like that, anyway.

The smell is probably from the floorboards under the lino. Vomit is runny, so has probably run under the lino. Bicarb of soda usually works.