Mum died yesterday...confused

toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
Forum Member
✭✭
I had a phone call from my dad yesterday to say my mum died in a house fire.

I'm just so confused as i've never had to deal with this before, and i'm not particularly close to my dad but i'm travelling up from Manchester to South Shields tomorrow to see him

My mum had no money, neither does my dad and I earn 23k with around £1,000 in savings

I'm just worried as to how to pay for the funeral, i've been told I can't get help as i'm not on benefits, so funeral companies allow you to pay off so much at a time

Also to complicate things further i've just had chemo on Weds 28th Sept and have another 2 lots left to go over the next 4 weeks

Can a funeral be delayed until after chemo, or can it be scheduled so that it takes place when my side effects aren't too bad which is usually 7 days after chemo has taken place

I want to do whats right for my mum, and also she'd want me to think about my health.

I've spoken to the coroner and there's an inquest that's taking place

Any thoughts would be most welcome

Comments

• AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really sorry for your loss and for everything else you're having to go through. Did your mum have life insurance?
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first thought would be that you have to make sure you get your chemo, unless your consultant says that it is ok to delay it.

You and your dad can plan your mum's funeral around that, I'm sure. The undertakers will be able to help you with all the details.

Best wishes.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a terrible time for you. I'm not sure that the funeral expenses should have to fall on your shoulders, your father may be eligible to claim from the government social fund. Google it, there's plenty of information.

Did the coroner say she would be released before the inquest takes place? There may be a delay before the funeral can take place anyway, and the family can have some control over date selection.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

My mother died when I was young so I did not have financial worries to deal with.

I would recommend a visit to Citizens Advice. Maybe an idea to find out if your mother have any insurance or pension that would pay out as a result of her passing.

My deepest sympathy to you and your loved ones at this difficult time
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for your loss Op. I think keefy is right, you may not be eligible for government help with the costs, but your father may be if he's on a low income as you seem to suggest. It must be a very tough time for you, but please make sure your health is a priority, like you say, your mum would have wanted that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Oh that's awful - I'm so sorry for you.

The only thing I can advise is to look after yourself and your dad. Have your chemo as planned and plan the funeral around that, as someone mentioned above.

The funeral directors will be so knowledgeable so you can, I'm sure, explain the situation and let them plan the basics for you. If you give them a budget, they will work to that.

Again, I'm so sorry for you.

:(
  • toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks guys

My mum had no life insurance, my mum and dad were never married so he can't claim anything, they split up in 1985

My mum wouldn't want me to delay chemo now i've only got 2 lots left so i'll fit it around that, my next lot is a week on Wednesday

The coroner mentioned a intermediate death certificate and that she'll be released at some point next week

I'll go to the police tomorrow to see what was recovered from the house, I know she had no insurance or anything

I'll start ringing round funeral directors on Monday when some of the chemo fuzz has worn off
  • eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so sorry for your loss. Is your dad on benefits? If he was still with your mum as next of kin the responsibility for the funeral would lie him. If he claims benefits he should be able to claim towards a funeral.
  • eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry cross posted you have answered most of my questions.
  • gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for your loss. This must be a difficult time for you and your dad. As there is a coroner's inquest that will delay the funeral date .You can choose the most convenient time for you to have the funeral so you should be able to fit it around your chemo sessions. Chat to you Undertakers. Regarding the payment if you parents were still married then your Dad would be the next of kin in which case he may be able to claim for assistance with the funeral - again the undertakers may well know about this too. Take care
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry for your loss. This must be a difficult time for you and your dad. As there is a coroner's inquest that will delay the funeral date .You can choose the most convenient time for you to have the funeral so you should be able to fit it around your chemo sessions. Chat to you Undertakers. Regarding the payment if you parents were still married then your Dad would be the next of kin in which case he may be able to claim for assistance with the funeral - again the undertakers may well know about this too. Take care

Post #8 said "my mum and dad were never married"
  • Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other posters have already said what i was going too! i'm so sorry for your loss and your illness! look after yourself and your dad! you'll get there Xx
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sorry for your loss . Your health is of the utmost importance and I am sure your Mum would say the same .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss. Suspect it was the fire reported on NE news.

I'm sure you can work something out with the funeral company so don't worry about it.
  • toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys for all the wishes

Woodbush, yes thats the one on the NE news, I haven't seen it myself but my friends back home have told me about it

I know she'll be looking down, happy that my friends are looking after me, and that she's willing me to stay strong, get better and make her proud each and every day
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I don't have anything practical to add about your situation, but please don't delay your chemo as your mum wouldn't have wanted it.
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I have no advice but I hope everything works out for you x
  • KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry for your loss.

My mother passed away earlier this year, and it is difficult to deal with, but all of the people you do have to contact and deal with know what they are doing and are very helpful. Every step of the way we were being told what we needed to do next.

If you're the kind of person who likes to read a lot of information, then the direct,gov website has a very helpful section on all of the things you need to do, and it's full of advice . I know that I was checking it all of the time to make sure everything was covered http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Death/index.htm

I believe you said that your parents weren't married? There are a couple of benefits your father could receive if they were married. There is a section on paying for a funeral that might be helpful.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Sorry for your loss.Saw it on the local news too.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kalmia wrote: »
    I believe you said that your parents weren't married? There are a couple of benefits your father could receive if they were married.
    Well that's one for 'The Best Of' compilation.
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I'm so sorry for your loss, it must have been a huge shock. Please take care of yourself and try to take it one thing at a time a day at a time.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Hobbes1966 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry for your loss, it must have been a huge shock. Please take care of yourself and try to take it one thing at a time a day at a time.
    The best advice.

My condolences OP, and I wish you well in your treatment.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry OP. Please take care of yourself. The funeral directors are usually very good in these situations and will go through everything with you, and will let you know if there is any aid you can get towards the funeral.

Please take some time out for yourself, and let your dad take on some of the responsibility, for your benefit.
  • AnniecaAnnieca Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice is contact the relevant Funeral Directors, i am sure they have experienced situations similar to this in the past, i am sure your Mum would have wanted you to have the Chemo first, the funeral directors will advise the practice of any delayed funeral, good luck and my condolences.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    I have no advice but I'm sorry for your loss and good luck with the chemo xx