Why can't we have same sex couples?

bethwaddelbethwaddel Posts: 295
Forum Member
I understand different sex are majority, but as a lesbian and a fan why can we we not have at at least 2 same sex couples dancing on a prime time show?

Comments

• komentaightorkomentaightor Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bethwaddel wrote: »
    I understand different sex are majority, but as a lesbian and a fan why can we we not have at at least 2 same sex couples dancing on a prime time show?

On a different show, yes, on a traditional ballroom dancing show, no.
    Same sex couples dancing ballroom, usually ladies of a certain age without male partners, are all too often seen in real life. SCD is fantasy world, where every boy meets a gal.

And Brucie's jokes about such pairings would be way off beam.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because forced/deliberate equality is worse than omission.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd have to find a gay or lesbian person willing to do it for a start. I can't imagine many would want to. It'd increase the level of homophobia they'd already face as a result of being in the public eye, as well as all the trickle-down silliness and giggling that goes with it, it would overpower everything else about their time on the show, it would impede their ability to learn to dance, they'd be painted as deficient (they can't act chemistry convincingly so they had to give them someone of the same sex as a crutch) or a diva (they refused to dance with someone of the opposite sex, I read it in the tabloids) and all in all...why bother? Is the point even that worth proving?
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1. It would be hideous
    2. It would overwhelm the show
    3. There is scope for a special show
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would the pro dancers have to be gay also?
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Because it would be like Steptoe and Son when Albert taught Harold the women's steps?

Sorry OP, couldn't resist. But your point is a worthy one. :)
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im sure that a foreign version of the show had two women dancing together not that long ago. No idea how they did though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should the prodancer be gay too? A dancer who trains blind people to dance doesn't have to be blind. (And i'm thinking Robin is dying to get a chanche at the same sex couple)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    Im sure that a foreign version of the show had two women dancing together not that long ago. No idea how they did though.

It was Israel and they were voted out after this....er....thing....
    http://youtu.be/nHy02KjgFFw
  • Azla AxeAzla Axe Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    *Jupiter* wrote: »
    Why should the prodancer be gay too? A dancer who trains blind people to dance doesn't have to be blind. (And i'm thinking Robin is dying to get a chanche at the same sex couple)

They don't have to be gay, but they have to be willing to take up such a partnership. Dancing inevitably involves a level of intimacy. Some pro dancers may feel uncomfortable being that intimate with a same sex partner. It's not homophobia, it's just a matter of fact. My brother's girfriend is a ballroom and latin dance teacher, and she find it really uncomfortable teaching the rumba to ladies, where she has to play the male role when they are dancing together.

So my bottom line is, it needs a willing celebrity and a willing pro dancer for a same sex pairing to work out.
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because it would make Len's head explode.

Yes, why don't we have a same sex couple.?
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oo lesbian dancers is hot
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member

Coz it's silly. The quality of dance would suffer and it'd turn into a freak show.

Apart from that, marvellous idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    Azla Axe wrote: »
    My brother's girfriend is a ballroom and latin dance teacher, and she find it really uncomfortable teaching the rumba to ladies, where she has to play the male role when they are dancing together.
    Teaching is different. I teach lead and follow roles, and I've no problem dancing both roles in class as required - although obviously my lead is far better than my follow.

But I wouldn't dance socially with another man.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidJames wrote: »
    Teaching is different. I teach lead and follow roles, and I've no problem dancing both roles in class as required - although obviously my lead is far better than my follow.

But I wouldn't dance socially with another man.

I think I might
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would the pro dancers have to be gay also?

On the israel version when they had a female/female couple I don't know if the Pro was gay but the celeb was. I don't think the Pro was gay, though could be wrong.
  • soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    In competition dancing girl-girl couples are welcome up to age 14 I believe, sometimes two sisters. They were not uncomfortable and neither was I. There is hardly an alternative in dance on physical education syllabus in girls schools.

There are always more females than males wanting to dance so if not partnering another female some women will face the awful bore of sitting out all night. There will not be this reason for man-man couples.

I looked up Ian's and Natalie's 13-nights Scandinavian dance cruise costing £2K to £4.5K per person. This price range inevitably leads to older customers. In their group photo from last summer I counted 41 women and 23 men.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    Because it would make Len's head explode.

Yes, why don't we have a same sex couple.?

One word - Brucie - could you imagine him attempting to handle it without spontaneously combusting in a frenzy of complete cringedom :eek:

That said, I'd happily pay good money to watch Artem and James rhumba together each week :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This years Artems required homoerotic Rumba has to be with Pasha
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Jupiter* wrote: »
    This years Artems required homoerotic Rumba has to be with Pasha

Will they be selling tickets? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One word - Brucie - could you imagine him attempting to handle it without spontaneously combusting in a frenzy of complete cringedom :eek:

That said, I'd happily pay good money to watch Artem and James rhumba together each week :D

Given his "Have you ever danced with a nancy" bit last year, I can't imagine where he'd go!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess for the same reason a contestant couldn't request a pro of a specific ethnicity. You get what you're given.
  • soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    I saw on Newsnight recently (slightly more reliable than the Sun) that homosexuality is not illegal in Russia. But there is a law shortly to be enacted by the Russian parliament, worded in very vague and loose terms that any "promotion" of homosexuality in public would be a breach of law punishable by heavy imprisonment.

You would think same-sex dancing would fall into this category, and falling foul of ex-KGB Putin is no laughing matter.
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because Middle England and the die-hard ballroom crowd would have a fit. It would be seen as a scandal.

The Beeb would never have the nerve.

There would be an uproar and screaming from every quarter about 'family entertainment' etc, etc.

I know. It's 2012. In the UK/European Argentine Tango world/crowd it is already totally accepted and promoted and no one bats an eye. To us it's just as things should be and at a milongas (AT dances) two men or two women dancing together is never a big deal. It'd the norm and we don't care if they are gay/straight/bi. No big deal. Tends to be in London mostly though. No surprise.

Can't see that EVER happening on SCD.
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    You'd have to find a gay or lesbian person willing to do it for a start. I can't imagine many would want to. It'd increase the level of homophobia they'd already face as a result of being in the public eye, as well as all the trickle-down silliness and giggling that goes with it, it would overpower everything else about their time on the show, it would impede their ability to learn to dance, they'd be painted as deficient (they can't act chemistry convincingly so they had to give them someone of the same sex as a crutch) or a diva (they refused to dance with someone of the opposite sex, I read it in the tabloids) and all in all...why bother? Is the point even that worth proving?

Yep. What he says. Totally agree.