Options

BBC 3 & 4 HD programmes to only be on iPlayer....

Comments

• Options
    BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    This is precisely why the BBC One HD regionals are a complete waste of time, just for a bit of regional sodding news.

The bandwidth would've been much better used for HD versions of BBC Three and BBC Four.

Now, where are those Daily Mail contact details...

Totally disagree, local programming is both relevant and (mainly) interesting. Additionally the BBC do it much better than ITV.
    However, surely there is a way of automatically switching your receiver to the SD local broadcast when available, and make the bandwidth available to BBC3 and 4 HD when there is no local broadcast.
    I suppose it all comes down to their PSB charter and the legacy SD only receivers in operation.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    I don't actually care. I already find BBC Four SD picture quality to be exceptional, especially if the programme was filmed in HD.

Via which platform?
    lundavra wrote: »
    There is a lot of truth in that, I get the feeling from the comments that people just want cartoons etc in HD and not the high quality documentaries on BBC4 (and occasionally BBC3) to be in HD.

BBC3 high-quality documentaries??

Either way, normal programmes should take priority over cartoons for HD. As much as I enjoy Family Guy and American Dad, there's no real loss with them in SD.
    Hotbird wrote: »
    At least they will continue to put the HD versions on iPlayer even without an actual HD broadcast. Its easy enough to download from iPlayer anyway so I will just download them and watch at my convenience on my media player.

How can they show them if they haven't been broadcast? It annoyed me immensely that Getting On was dumped from BBC HD for a few weeks so I had to go with SD instead.

I don't want them on Iplayer-only as it often just buf..... fers constantly whether via my TV or PC.

Xmas Day was terrible when I missed a certain programme because it was on way too early to get home in time. I tried to watch it via Iplayer but it buffered without end. I gave up and waited for a torrent which not only allowed me to watch it without buffering, but also with the added bonus of DD5.1 sound.
  • Options
    mill9mill9 Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    I don't actually care. I already find BBC Four SD picture quality to be exceptional, especially if the programme was filmed in HD.
    I totally agree, I am interested in programme content and as long as the SD is reasonable (not like the Five network on satellite at the moment!) I am happy with that. I rarely use iPlayer for TV only radio sometimes.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPlayer downloads have expiry dates on them though. Broadcast versions don't. That may be OK for your convenience. But that may not be so for everyone.

Depending on how you download them there are no expiry dates on iPlayer downloads but that's not really a discussion for here.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is precisely why the BBC One HD regionals are a complete waste of time, just for a bit of regional sodding news.

The bandwidth would've been much better used for HD versions of BBC Three and BBC Four.

But the bandwidth doesn't exist on terrestrial to launch either Three or Four, else they would likely have done so.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it's not, it'll enable BBC One to show their nations drama, documentary and soap output in HD for the first time, alongside news for the nations, which as far as I know, continues to be in SD, upscaled on HD.

Is it really worth watching Pramface and Stacey Dooley in HD anyway?
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference is that we actually have some evidence of the plan for a new mux. If the BBC didn't want to sell the 5th HD slot on Freeview, they could have 5 HD channels on all platforms with the new mux.

Your suggestion is extremely unlikely to happen any time soon, and even if the non-PSB channels were told to bugger off, why would they put an HD channel on DVB-T? It'd screw up the stat muxing, might have to use MPEG2 (requiring more than half the bandwidth), and we know they want to encourage DVB-T2 uptake in preparation for DSO2.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    As with the Red Button feeds the BBC is no longer a BROADCASTER but more of an internet content provider.

How the mighty have fallen! Should now be call the BICP as it is moving more and more stuff away from broadcasting and instead supplying on the internet ONLY.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but with the TV channels, and the radio channels - it broadcasts thousands of hours a week.

So it IS a broadcaster!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »

BBC3 high-quality documentaries??

Yes, for the enlightened who can look beyond the titles!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it really worth watching Pramface and Stacey Dooley in HD anyway?

That's an individual choice. Some Girls looked great in HD, moreso than SD.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now, where are those Daily Mail contact details...
    That would then send a message that digital terrestrial television is not fit for purpose and throw away any platform neutrality, because it's impractical to stream HD via Freeview HD STB's. There are plans to expand Freeview HD from 2014, hopefully BBC Three, Four, CBBC, CBeebies and News (can't see Parliament going HD) go HD at some point on DTT.
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Be great to see Family Guy and Wilfred on BBC in HD again but I doubt they will pay extra just o put in HD on iplayer.

PJ
    Not going to happen. They treated Family Guy in HD pretty badly, so I can't see Family Guy coming back in HD on the BBC at the very least until BBC Three HD arrives. Even then, if it costs extra, they might just let FOX have the exclusive HD rights. Plus, FOX programmes, BBC or otherwise, never get shown on any catch-up service on the PSB channels to my knowledge - certainly is the case with Family Guy, American Dad and The Simpsons.
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And a point that seriously has to be addressed regardless of how much some will want to ignore it: People pay a TV Licence fee to see these programmes, not a Internet Only Supply Fee. What happens to those who do not have internet access?

The BBC bang on endlessly about having to cater for everyone as to why they have to do things a certain way; 92 year old Mrs Brown in Kent still has 4:3 TV and so that is why we have to stick 4:3 graphics all over the F1 16:9 HD picture and we can't have good things on satellite as they won't fit on Freeview. - What now happens to all that crap when someone has paid the TV Licence Fee and can't get part of a service that they have paid for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And a point that seriously has to be addressed regardless of how much some will want to ignore it: People pay a TV Licence fee to see these programmes, not a Internet Only Supply Fee. What happens to those who do not have internet access?

The BBC bang on endlessly about having to cater for everyone as to why they have to do things a certain way; 92 year old Mrs Brown in Kent still has 4:3 TV and so that is why we have to stick 4:3 graphics all over the F1 16:9 HD picture and we can't have good things on satellite as they won't fit on Freeview. - What now happens to all that crap when someone has paid the TV Licence Fee and can't get part of a service that they have paid for?

Of course the License fee covers both, As more people get broadband (even some nursing homes have free wi-fi these days!) then these things will equal out.

Because of political, and newspaper pressure, the Beeb has to be seen to be not favouring one camp or the other,

As it stands it's still a "broadcaster", even though you stated it wasn't earlier.
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    As with the Red Button feeds the BBC is no longer a BROADCASTER but more of an internet content provider.

How the mighty have fallen! Should now be call the BICP as it is moving more and more stuff away from broadcasting and instead supplying on the internet ONLY.

As opposed to what? Spending more money on distributing content via traditional means? The Daily Wail will be all over them, again.

Damned if do, damned if they don't.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens to those who do not have internet access?
    ?

Beside the fact that there are people in the UK who do not have access to BBC Programmes though the air - either DTT or DSAT
    ..... and they are not in a cabled area either ..
    As you are aware the BBC as part of the LF deal is paying 10% of LF each year for the next 3 years
    -ie. a total over of £300M to roll out Broadband......

AND it is the BBC Sixth Public Purpose enshrined in eth Charter and agreement
    " Delivering to the public the benefit of emerging communications technologies and services
    Assisting UK residents to get the best out of emerging media technologies now and in the future

"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/whoweare/publicpurposes/

The BBC has always seen that it has a role in the life of country to introduce people to the changing world in which they live......
    e.g BBC Micro , and more recently assorted Media literacy and of course the digital help scheme..
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) HD versions of some programmes would be available only on iPlayer for a limited time (see my earlier post).

2) the programmes are still broadcast and available to all.

What now happens to all that crap when someone has paid the TV Licence Fee and can't get part of a service that they have paid for?
    They can still; get the service that everyone else pays for and gets. it is not the BBC's responsibility to provide the means to access across all platforms. Programmes will still be available via normal broadcasts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but with the TV channels, and the radio channels - it broadcasts thousands of hours a week.

So it IS a broadcaster!

...and for BBC3 & 4 HD output, is it a Broadcaster?

...and for its other Red Button feeds, is it a Broadcaster?

No, it's a internet content provider with content exclusively and ONLY available on the internet, not Broadcast anywhere ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Of course the License fee covers both, As more people get broadband (even some nursing homes have free wi-fi these days!) then these things will equal out.

Because of political, and newspaper pressure, the Beeb has to be seen to be not favouring one camp or the other,

As it stands it's still a "broadcaster", even though you stated it wasn't earlier.

And in this case it isn't! It is favouring broadband exclusively with no other option available. (What a shame they haven't applied the same to the Satellite/Freeview balls up. In that it's always that they can't do that because they HAVE TO remain neutral at all costs. Funny how they drop that all in this case. :rolleyes: )

And as in as much: These internet ONLY programmes, breaking all their neutrality rules are NOT Broadcast.

They abuse excuses when they want to inflict 4:3 graphics on a F1 16:9 HD broadcast in their desperation to cater for Mrs Bown and her 4:3 TV and yet when it comes to this it's 'Tough sh!t! If you don't have broadband you won't get that part of the service that you have paid for'

More holes in BBC excuses than a big lump of Swiss Cheese!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, given that they would find it difficult to broadcast a number of HD programmes aired on BBC Three and Four in SD, would you rather that they removed the option for people to watch them on iPlayer and thus restored platform neutrality (such as it covers iPlayer)?

What would be YOUR solution so that this HD programming was able to be seen in HD?

BTW, these programmes, specifically the programme content is still available via normal broadcasts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and yet when it comes to this it's 'Tough sh!t! If you don't have broadband you won't get that part of the service that you have paid for'

And of course, were people moaning like this when they realised that the BBC was broadcasting 3D programming when they didn't have a SD TV so could not view what they had paid for??

Or when the BBC started to broadcast Nicam stereo when they only had a mono TV and didn't have the means to hear what they had paid for??

Or when the BBC started to broadcast content in HD some years back on the one and only BBC HD channel, when they didn't have the means to view what they had paid for?

Or when BBC Two Colour was launched, and people only had monochrome TVs?

No, because in truth, the programmes were still broadcast, the programme content was the same.

And in this case, only some HD programming that won't get a repeat airing on BBC one HD or BBC Two HD will temporarily only be available on iPlayer (whilst other content will get repeated on BBC one HD or BBC Two HD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Given the plan to 'create' BBC TWO/HD, I can't see why they can't include BBC3/4 HD content on the the new 2HD channel; all they need to do is schedule them through the night.

That way they're available for viewing overnight, and with the option to 'record' them for later viewing.

Problem solved. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KevJ wrote: »
    Given the plan to 'create' BBC TWO/HD, I can't see why they can't include BBC3/4 HD content on the the new 2HD channel; all they need to do is schedule them through the night.

That way they're available for viewing overnight, and with the option to 'record' them for later viewing.

Problem solved. :)
    Considering that DQF will change the landscaper with respect to BBC one,Two, Three and Four, it is quite likely that a number of those programmes will get a HD airing, albeit delayed by a number of days
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...and for BBC3 & 4 HD output, is it a Broadcaster?

Yes, they are looking at getting extra HD channels if they are allowed, and expect to see a few of these on BBC1 HD and BBC2 HD too in the meantime.
    ...and for its other Red Button feeds, is it a Broadcaster?

Yes, these feeds are still "broadcast"
    No, it's a internet content provider with content exclusively and ONLY available on the internet, not Broadcast anywhere ever.

That's just inaccurate, as they have several TV channels and broadcast hundreds of hours of radio a week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would then send a message that digital terrestrial television is not fit for purpose and throw away any platform neutrality, because it's impractical to stream HD via Freeview HD STB's. There are plans to expand Freeview HD from 2014, hopefully BBC Three, Four, CBBC, CBeebies and News (can't see Parliament going HD) go HD at some point on DTT.

Why so many BBC HD channels? Why not give some of that space to Channel 5 HD instead?
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Considering that DQF will change the landscaper with respect to BBC one,Two, Three and Four, it is quite likely that a number of those programmes will get a HD airing, albeit delayed by a number of days

But while it would be good to see some 3 & 4 programmes shown on BBC2 HD, it still come across as BBC HD, albeit not in name.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Why so many BBC HD channels? Why not give some of that space to Channel 5 HD instead?

But while it would be good to see some 3 & 4 programmes shown on BBC2 HD, it still come across as BBC HD, albeit not in name.
    Channel 5 clearly have no interest in HD, so sod them. ITV are the same (regarding FTA channels anyway).