Roger Lloyd-Pack has died

Comments

• Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    This place is obsessed with Only Fools, come on he did more than that.
    Reciting scenes from Only fools for page after page.
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This place is obsessed with Only Fools, come on he did more than that.
    Reciting scenes from Only fools for page after page.

Yes, he did, he was a respected classically trained actor too.....but if people on here want to remember him through a role which gave them a great deal of pleasure, what is wrong with that? :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Yes, he did, he was a respected classically trained actor too.....but if people on here want to remember him through a role which gave them a great deal of pleasure, what is wrong with that? :(
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. For me he will always be Trigger, and I'm not in the least bit sorry if that offends anyone.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So. Farewell
    Then
    Roger Lloyd-Pack

Always a fool
    Never a
    Horse

"Alright Dave"
    Yes.
    That was you.

But now it seems
    You have Roger
    Lloyd
    Packed in.

E.J Thribb
    17 1/2
    Well done, worthy of the Eye itself.

Very sad news. Only Fools was good mainly because of the well drawn secondary characters written as foils for the main characters. Trigger was the most memorable of those and Roger Lloyd-Pack played him perfectly. A great actor with excellent comic timing.
  • greygrey Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    How sad, I also didn't know he'd been ill
    Looking through Wikipedia he's appeared in around 60 different tv shows from 1965 and many film roles and stage shows
    I can't see many actors as versatile as him
    You will be missed Roger
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a reason why this is barely being acknowledged on the news? I put News 24 on at 8pm expecting it to be one of the leads. 46 MINUTES in and not a mention. Fine if the poor little kiddie in Edinburgh took up the time but that didnt even lead. Some possible plan with the minimum wage, DLT and Ken Barlow still in court, but no development. As if that wasnt insulting enough, Pochettino "not leaving" Southampton then got a story and I bailed out at 8.46 on learning about an "increase in cases of gout". ****ing gout?

One of most iconic and brilliant character actors passes away and the crap that gets priority over that in the news is mistyfying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway, very sad news, condolences and I dont think there was an office, pub or any sports team in the 80s that did not have somebody nicknamed 'Trigger' in it. He was an iconic character.
  • KauriKauri Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    RIP Roger. I am shocked and saddened by today's news. :(
  • Mood IndigoMood Indigo Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm genuinely saddened by this news.:( RIP Roger.

He was a really fab actor. People have mentioned all his TV work and rightly too, but he was also an accomplished stage actor.

I had the pleasure of seeing him along with Mark Rylance, Stephen Fry, Samuel Barnett, Johnny Flynn and the rest of the brilliant cast in The Globe's all male production of "Twelfth Night" in 2012. I loved it so much we went again and saw it at The Apollo round about this time last year, when it transferred to the West End. It was without doubt one of the best Shakespeare productions I have ever seen, an I go to the theatre a lot and I see a lot of Shakespeare productions. This was proper laugh out loud funny and Roger was absolutely hilarious as Sir Andrew Aguecheek, but also made him rather poignant in his exit scene. The Production transferred to Broadway in October 2013, and I wondered why Roger was not joining the cast, as pretty much everyone apart from Johhny Flynn, who was doing a film. crossed the pond. Now I know why. :(
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    He was the one who made the scene funny for me - it wasn't the fall that made me laugh but Trigger's reaction afterwards.

Trigger wasn't in that scene originally! :o What would have been lost without it! John Sullivan said - this was played when that was voted the best OFAH moment - that Trigger wasn't in that episode originally but when they were filming that scene, Roger was in the next studio filming a medical comedy and he popped in and told John he had some time to spare if he wanted him to do anything. So he re-wrote that scene to include Trigger.
    Thank heavens he did!

How he kept a straight face when Del popped up from behind the bar, I don't know. Though he looked like he had to struggle to KEEP his face straight! lol

Wonderful actor, absolutely brilliant what he created as Trigger. Just as hilarious as Owen in Dibley as well.
    So cruel that that horrible disease has taken someone else before their time.

But he has left so many wonderful comedy moments.

"What's Dave, then? A nickname?"
    lol Priceless.

I remember seeing him in an episode of New Tricks.
    And seeing him years ago in an episode of The Professionals! Playing a baddie!
    He was just a joy to watch in anything he did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Trigger wasn't in that scene originally! :o What would have been lost without it! John Sullivan said - this was played when that was voted the best OFAH moment - that Trigger wasn't in that episode originally but when they were filming that scene, Roger was in the next studio filming a medical comedy and he popped in and told John he had some time to spare if he wanted him to do anything. So he re-wrote that scene to include Trigger.
    Thank heavens he did!

How he kept a straight face when Del popped up from behind the bar, I don't know. Though he looked like he had to struggle to KEEP his face straight! lol

Wonderful actor, absolutely brilliant what he created as Trigger. Just as hilarious as Owen in Dibley as well.
    So cruel that that horrible disease has taken someone else before their time.

But he has left so many wonderful comedy moments.

"What's Dave, then? A nickname?"
    lol Priceless.

I remember seeing him in an episode of New Tricks.
    And seeing him years ago in an episode of The Professionals! Playing a baddie!
    He was just a joy to watch in anything he did.

I'll remember Trigger and his same broom for 20 years for ever. Genius.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    RIP. He was my favourite character in Vicar of Dibley.
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they still go through with the OFAH sketch for Sport Relief. It'd be a nice tribute to Roger.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Well done, worthy of the Eye itself.

Very sad news. Only Fools was good mainly because of the well drawn secondary characters written as foils for the main characters. Trigger was the most memorable of those and Roger Lloyd-Pack played him perfectly. A great actor with excellent comic timing.

Agreed, it is a very sad loss. RIP Roger Lloyd-Pack
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't he just Roger Lloyd to start with but then changed to Lloyd-Pack? I checked Wiki but no mention of it although daughter Emily is simply Lloyd whilst his sons are all Lloyd-Pack.

It's also on there that Trigger's name was actually Colin Ball. I never knew we were ever told his real name and, to be honest, it never even crossed my mind! That's a good quiz question though
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe19 wrote: »
    Absolutely. In all the love for Trigger in Only Fools and Horses (and rightly so) his work in TVOD should not be overlooked.

Yep indeed.

Owen: I am not a lunatic. I have the psychiatric report to prove it. A slender majority of the panel decided in my favour.

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such sad news. He was such a charismatic actor, your eyes were drawn to him in every scene.

I grew up watching him as Trigger, but loved him in Dibley too. His lines are often really filthy, but he made Owen so sweet (as Richard Curtis said) that he could get away with it. If they ever make any more, it won't be as good without him. Quite shocking that he wasn't that old (about ten days older than my mum) and that he's the first of the Dibley cast to die.

RIP. I feel so sad that he's gone. And yes, to the person who wrote above that he was quite sexy in The Old Guys. What a great career.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Incredibly sad about this. It's such a shame, he was brilliant both in Only Fools and Vicar of Dibley. I grew up with Only Fools on TV, it's a favourite in our house. He'll be missed, Only Fools won't be the same without him if they decide to make a series. :(
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    I hope they still go through with the OFAH sketch for Sport Relief. It'd be a nice tribute to Roger.

You would think his close friends like David Jason would have known his health when they announced the reurn of OFAH a few weeks ago, so I would imagine Roger was never going to appear in this anyway.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    You would think his close friends like David Jason would have known his health when they announced the reurn of OFAH a few weeks ago, so I would imagine Roger was never going to appear in this anyway.

Yes IIRC in the 1997 Comic Relief sketch only Del, Rodney, Uncle Albert and Raquel appeared and it was set in the flat. None of the peripheral characters appeared.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »

They were talking to John Challis on the radio this morning. He said he spoke to Roger last week and he was expecting to speak to him this week. He knew he wasn't well, he said, but he didn't realise how ill he was because he kept that to himself.
    He said he was just glad he did speak to him when he did, now.

So ... from that, one can assume maybe David and Nick and all the rest had no idea how ill he was.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "20 years. That's a long time Dave"
    "Yeah. Well it's two decades ain't it"
    "I wouldn't go that far, but it's a long time"
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,626
    Forum Member
    Some classic Trigger lines

Trigger: You knew my Grandad Arthur, didn't you Mr Trotter.

Grandad: Yeah, I knew Arthur alright.

Trigger: He was a smashing man, he took care of me when my Mum went.

Rodney: Where was your Dad?

Trigger: He died a couple of years before I was born.

Del: You're going on your holidays Tuesday, ain't yer?

Trigger: Yeah, I'm Looking forward to that Del. I've been under a bit of pressure lately, what with me Gran in hospital and me case being adjourned. It'll be nice to get away from it all. I'm gonna live it up a bit. Disco's nightclubs, golden beaches, blue skies.

Rodney: Sounds Great Trig, where'y going?

Trigger: Ireland!

Mike: Don't try'n be funny with me, Trigger. I'll tell you this much, I've had certificates for my beer.

Trigger: Yeah, I've had a few days off work with it as well!

Jevon: You gotta give Del he's due's ain't ya, he did all the catering by himself.

Mickey: Leave off Jevon, can you see Delboy standing in the kitchen cutting up all them loaves. He probably got some idiot to do it for him.

Trigger: No, I made em for him.

Del: We had Denzil in goal, we had Monkey Harris at right-back, we had...we had camaraderie.

Trigger: Was that the Italian boy

Trigger: Going down the pub, Alan?

Alan: Oh yeah, we'll be there.

Pam: We're going down the pub, are we?

Alan: Got to be polite to Raquel and Del. We've gotta wet the baby's head

Pam: Roughly translated, that means, 'I can't wait to get down the Nags Head and get legless with Del!

Trigger: Take your time, Pam, we've gotta christian the baby first.

Denzil: It's closed.

Trigger: (Checks watch) Well, it's a bit late, innit?

Del: What d'you mean 'a bit late?' You said it was open twenty-four hours a day!

Trigger: Yeah, but not at night!
  • marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear all is finest TV shows will be showing soon on Rodney sorry I mean Dave!
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »

They must, and give him recognition in the credits as well.