Options

Legoland Windsor to tempoarily shut over threats about Muslim private event

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knuckle dragging neanderthals stopping children from enjoying a nice day out because they can't be bothered to grow past their ignorance.

This - totally.

Incredible. Just when one thinks it isn't possible to be shocked by anything - one always can be.
  • Options
    Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you really want to split hairs, Christians book out 2 Butlins resorts over the Easter school break for 3 weeks for Spring Harvest.

You could always complain they are taking the opportunity away from poor hard working families from getting a decent break in the school holidays.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skyclad wrote: »
    As wrong as making threats is (and it is) I disagree that the event would cause no problems to anyone.

Well I think of myself as fairly right wing, but I have absolutely no problem with this, and your comment is just bloody ridiculous.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This compels me to ask the question of why muslims are catered for a lot more than christians when it comes to situations such as this one. :confused:

Explain.
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    I really don't think we need to come up with conspiracy theories about this, to warp the reality into a falsehood just to fit in with one's own prejudices. I'm surprised someone hasn't already outed Richard Dawkins as a religious double agent given the task of making things a bit "baity".
    What prejudices would those be?

oi oi

Not like you to go all quiet.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Dan100 wrote: »
    If you really want to split hairs, Christians book out 2 Butlins resorts over the Easter school break for 3 weeks for Spring Harvest.

You could always complain they are taking the opportunity away from poor hard working families from getting a decent break in the school holidays.

For me, at least, the only issue is with the stuff about booking a private activity and then attempting to justify it as being some kind of inter-faith activity when I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the real intent is the exact opposite.

Obviously, if christians block-book a Butlins they're doing it because they want to have a holiday in the company of other god-botherers without having heathen secularists around to detract from the piety.
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    One would assume they are already Muslims.
    I wouldn't. They are children in the process of being indoctrinated. That does not make them Muslims.
    So are you against any church group having a social then? Cause that's a bit mad tbh.
    I am not against a church having a social - but I am against children being present at any such social. It is not unusual to have over 18 only social events.

Children should not be exposed to religion.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't. They are children in the process of being indoctrinated. That does not make them Muslims.

I am not against a church having a social - but I am against children being present at any such social. It is not unusual to have over 18 only social events.

When I was a kid we went to a week-long church thing at Butlins- basically the adults all went to prayer meetings and stuff while the kids played on the rides and the arcade machines.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, just had a look at The Mirror's take on this story. They report that the Muslim Research and Development Foundation that organised this event and hired out the park is run by a man named Haitham al-Haddad who has been banned from speaking at a number of British Universities due to his extremist views.

He must be extreme for Universities to ban him.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Just looked this Haitham al-Haddad up and indeed he has a history of extreme views against women, gay people and the Jewish.>:(:(

>>>>>

At first was open minded - but if true that the Muslim Imam fanatical hate preacher
    H al H is heavily involved then this puts a different slant on Legolands decision to cancel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But yet legoland is (I presume ) open 365 days a year .

Dangerous presumption. Simply put it isn't.

It is shut from 1st January to 13th March and from 3rd November to 31st December. It is also shut Tuesdays and Wednesdays in the rest of March, September and October plus some days in April and May.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    getzls wrote: »
    He must be extreme for Universities to ban him.

He has a record for repeated Holocaust denial. Nowadays he makes light of it and says it was all a misunderstanding. Pretty much the same line Nick Griffin spins.

Surprised Legoland don't investigate these groups and their leaders before they play host to them. I wouldn't have thought it would be good PR to have extremists holding seminars in your theme park. No different really to the Munich bierkellers playing host to all sorts of undesirables in the 1920's. We don't need that sort of thing in the UK - especially where children are involved and being brainwashed.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member

My local church organised a fun run for kids to raise money for disabled people in Africa - do you object to that?
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    The articles a bit misleading. Legoland was never going to be open this Sunday, it doesn't open for another week or so. The people who have booked the event have cancelled, so the park doesn't need to be open. Its not been forced to close for a day, as such.
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The articles a bit misleading. Legoland was never going to be open this Sunday, it doesn't open for another week or so. The people who have booked the event have cancelled, so the park doesn't need to be open. Its not been forced to close for a day, as such.

It's starting to make sense now. I was originally on the side of the Muslim group as felt they were causing no harm to anyone, but it's now been revealed in this thread that the meeting was targeted because they are led by an extremist hate preacher, who has been banned from various universities.

Now that we also discover Legoland wasn't even going to be open in the first place, it would appear the BBC article was deliberately misleading in an attempt to whip up sympathy for the extremist Islamic group.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Armi wrote: »
    Can't they go on a normal day with everyone else?

Yes, but aren't you rather missing the point?
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The press release (also on the BBC article) suggests it was due to be open this weekend and that hotel bookings had to be cancelled:
    In a statement, Legoland said: "Sadly, a private event due to take place on Sunday has had to be cancelled due to threats from right-wing groups made against the resort.

"The whole resort, including the hotel, will be closed for the weekend.

"We are extremely sorry that we've had to cancel any hotel visits for guests booked in to stay over this weekend.

"We wholeheartedly understand families' disappointment that they will be unable to attend and appreciate that due to the dynamic nature of this situation we haven't been able to give them more notification."

Guests booked to stay at the resort this weekend have been handed a full refund while a number of people on Twitter have also told the BBC they have received a £10 voucher.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The latest article says that Legoland cancelled the event last week after talks with the organisers and police, and have subsequently decided to close the hotel too. Perhaps opening for the event meant they could also open the hotel for the weekend.

Telegraph article

[...]Racial tension was stirred after more than 1,000 Muslim families were due to attend a private event at the resort in Windsor, Berkshire, on Sunday.

The attraction received threatening phone calls, emails and social media posts for being hired exclusively by the Muslim Research and Development Foundation.

Legoland decided to cancel the event last week following talks with the organisers and Thames Valley Police, and officials have now decided to shut the 150-room hotel this weekend as they cannot guarantee the safety of their staff or guests.

A spokesman said: “Unfortunately the Legoland Windsor Resort has had to close the Hotel on Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th March 2014 after threats from right-wing groups made against the Resort.

“The Hotel closure follows the cancellation of a private event that was due to take place on Sunday 9th March prior to the Theme Park reopening for the 2014 season on Friday 14th Match.

“We are extremely sorry that we’ve had to cancel guest bookings and whole heartedly understand the disappointment of those families that will be unable to attend, particularly as we haven’t been able to give them more notification because of the dynamic nature of this situation.

“The safety and security of our guests and our members of staff is our number one priority, which is why we’ve made the difficult decision to close the Hotel. All guests that were booked in to stay will be given a full refund.”

The theme park itself was always planned to be closed to the public this weekend and will reopen for the 2014 season on March 14, a spokesman said.

Before the fun day was cancelled, a British National Party blogger said Legoland should be "ashamed of themselves for bowing to these Muslims". The blog added: "This is disgusting and should NOT be allowed to go ahead.

"If someone would organise a white Christian-only day, people would be up in arms, calling them racist and God knows what, but no one says a thing when it's Muslims."

A picture of a Muslim Legoland worker was also posted on Facebook along with an offensive comment, a spokesman for the attraction said.

The Muslim Research and Development Foundation is run by Haitham al-Haddad, an Islamic scholar accused of spreading ideological hatred who has been banned from a number of universities because of his extremist views.

It is believed that members of the English Defence League and the neo-Nazi linked Casuals United had threatened to target the park.

Legoland said: "Sadly it is our belief that deliberate misinformation fuelled by a small group with a clear agenda was designed expressly to achieve this outcome.

"We are appalled at what has occurred, and at the fact that the real losers in this are the many families and children who were looking forward to an enjoyable day out at Legoland.

"We would like to apologise to them and to the organisers, and to thank them for their understanding. We hope that they will all be able to come to visit us during the season."

The decision to close the hotel has led to some disgruntled customers. One posted on Facebook: "Found out today for the second time this year my stay this weekend has been cancelled.

"Once again, very disappointed children and such little notice to sort an alternative option which is as exciting."

Another mother wrote: "Yep, same here. Think it's disgraceful. Not looking forward to telling my children when they get home from school this evening."

Thames Valley Police said abusive and threatening messages would not be tolerated and an investigation was under way to determine whether any offence has been committed.

A spokesman said: "Thames Valley Police can confirm it is investigating reports of offences committed under the Malicious Communications Act (1988) in connection with offensive messages posted on social media regarding a private planned event by the Muslim Research and Development Foundation (MRDF) at the Legoland site in Windsor.

"The owners of Legoland subsequently made the decision to cancel the event in consultation with the MRDF.

"As there is an ongoing police investigation it would be inappropriate for us to comment further."
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Muslim Research and Development Foundation is run by Haitham al-Haddad, an Islamic scholar accused of spreading ideological hatred who has been banned from a number of universities because of his extremist views

To be honest, I suspect the other guests in the hotel would not have been particularly happy knowing there was an Islamic extremist rally going on. Apparently they had over 1000 followers planning to attend.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just looked this Haitham al-Haddad up and indeed he has a history of extreme views against women, gay people and the Jewish.>:(:(

What sort of "fun" day could they have?
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    To be honest, I suspect the other guests in the hotel would not have been particularly happy knowing there was an Islamic extremist rally going on. Apparently they had over 1000 followers planning to attend.

From the article, the other guests seem more concerned at the short notice and the fact that their children would be disappointed.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Muslim Research and Development Foundation is run by Haitham al-Haddad, an Islamic scholar accused of spreading ideological hatred who has been banned from a number of universities because of his extremist views.

The question has to be asked. What are his motives for this event?

The park is open most of the year to anyone who wants to visit for normal reasons.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    How utterly ridiculous.

Is everybody up in arms about all the celebrity's and businesses that hire parks for the day whilst they are closed? Nope, didn't think so.
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question has to be asked. What are his motives for this event?

The park is open most of the year to anyone who wants to visit for normal reasons.
    No no, that way lies vague accusations of "prejudices" that will leave you in limbo wondering what your prejudices are, but the accuser will subsequently ignore you rather than specify.

(in my experience)
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    It's starting to make sense now. I was originally on the side of the Muslim group as felt they were causing no harm to anyone, but it's now been revealed in this thread that the meeting was targeted because they are led by an extremist hate preacher, who has been banned from various universities.

Now that we also discover Legoland wasn't even going to be open in the first place, it would appear the BBC article was deliberately misleading in an attempt to whip up sympathy for the extremist Islamic group.

It didn't appear that way to me. Why would the BBC want to whip up sympathy for extremist Muslims?