Options

New £1 coin design

Comments

• Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the manufacturers of vending machines get some sort of financial dispensation, as these will all need changing?
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the manufacturers of vending machines get some sort of financial dispensation, as these will all need changing?

They probably don't need that much changing, to be honest, and the coins don't come into circulation for another 3 years - I wonder how many mechanisms would be altered, or replaced, in that timescale anyway ?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Always liked the threepenny bit.

The new pound will probably buy as much.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks fine, I have no problem with it at all.

What I DO have a problem with is the number of coins we actually have. Far too many.

Is there any other currency in the world that has a 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 AND 200?

I'd loose the 2 and 5 and have a note for 200. Don't want to go as stupidly paper as the US (which is madness - and they all look the damn same!) but I'm fed up with pocket fulls of shrapnel. I have a pile of bronze coins on my bedside table and don't know what to do with them.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I'm old enough to remember threepenny bits, and I love this new design. I'd prefer it to be made of just one metal only, not keen on the two colours together - reminds me of people who wear gold and silver jewellery - just wrong!

I also can't believe we've had the pound coin for 30 years, I vividly remember having a handful of them on the day, or the day after they were released, and showing them around to my family! Scary!

Will the new ones fit slot machines, trolleys, fruit machines etc?
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any idea why it takes 3 years for them to get into circulation? I'd have thought that the time from final design > circulation would be months rather than years?
  • Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this, brings back memories of the old threepenny bit
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

What I DO have a problem with is the number of coins we actually have. Far too many.

Is there any other currency in the world that has a 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 AND 200?

Germany, France, Italy, Ireland, Spain...

All countries in the Euro zone have these same values.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

Is there any other currency in the world that has a 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 AND 200?.

Yes, the Euro use a 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 and 200, although some countries don't issue the 1 cent and 2 cent coins and round everything to the nearest 5 cent.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I look forward to increased car parking charges etc as companies try to recoup their expenses in adjusting/replacing their machines so that they will accept the new design. /sarcasm
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Germany, France, Italy, Ireland, Spain...

All countries in the Euro zone have these same values.

Well, it's still too many. Especially with monsters like the 2p - horrible coin.

The US manages with 4 (6, with the half dollar and dollar - though I've never seen one). Whilst they do have too many bills (and they are too similar), I'd prefer too much paper to too many coins.

The ubiquitous dollar bill is like having a 60p note!
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The shape will affect the rollocity of the coin which will benefit me when i stagger home drunk and spill all my loose change over the bedroom floor. The pound coins will not be able to go far unlike now when they make a break for freedom under the bed, never to be seen again.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the current pound coin has 2 faces. just like george osborne. 12 sides is more of a coalition thing .....
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the new £1 coin a lot. I wish they would change the 5 pence piece as well.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The threepenny bit shape is fab. That was the best coin I ever remember, in a nostalgia-rules way.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    On the reverse should be a lion and a leek. I.E. Nothing of Scotland about it. :D
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »
    The threepenny bit shape is fab. That was the best coin I ever remember, in a nostalgia-rules way.

I used to like the old pennies. massive to todays standards, but then the halfpenny was bigger than most of our decimal coinage. The halfpenny after decimalisation was ridiculously small and soon to be removed altogether. Then there were half crowns and ten bobs. I have some crowns somewhere as well.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new coin being phased in in 2017, but the sample being shown is dated 2014, if they get into circulation they will be worth a fortune.:)
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    The new coin being phased in in 2017, but the sample being shown is dated 2014, if they get into circulation they will be worth a fortune.:)

That's not a real coin, I don't think. It's just a graphic, maybe a computer generated graphic.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it.
  • Options
    axe70axe70 Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    most vending machine manufacturers aim to sell
    to different countries so they need to be flexible
    anyway
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it, a bit of the past in something new, and they are quite right there are so many fake £1 coins around this will help stop that ( for a while any way)
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like it to look at, but I'll happily spend and receive some.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any real need for 1 and 2 pence coins now ? They buy nothing and are pretty much pointless.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Is there any real need for 1 and 2 pence coins now ? They buy nothing and are pretty much pointless.

Pennies I agree but 2p pieces keep my kids amused for hours at the arcades in the tuppence slots.