Options

Clothes Shopping Alone - is it OK?

BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really love fashion, and I'm a complete shopaholic, but I just HATE going shopping with other people! I have loads of friends and family who I could go shopping with but I just like to be alone whilst in town shopping for myself. I like to go into alternative, vintage shops or markets, and I like to take my time, something none of my usual shopping pals understand! I'd prefer to go alone but I don't want my friends to feel like I don't want to be in their company, and I also don't want to look like a complete loner, so how do you manage to shop alone? And is it classed as 'sad' or lonely?

Note: I know I may be completely paranoid or clueless here, but I do get self conscious a lot, and I'm a bit of a people pleaser haha:)

Comments

• Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it's fine. Why would it be classed as sad and if someone did class it as that why care what they think as they are obviously narrow minded twazzocks.

I always go shopping myself as I always worry that I am making others stand about for ages if I can't decide on something or end up going back to the same shop a trillion times.

I do "social shop" with my friends too but tend not to buy much on those trips.
  • Options
    WizsisterWizsister Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't dream of going clothes shopping with anyone else, on the few occasions my sister has come along I never end up buying anything and end up paying for her things instead.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I prefer to go on my own. It is stressful shopping with others and their caustic comments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer to go on my own. It is stressful shopping with others and their caustic comments.

Exactly! I wouldn't dare take my friends to a vintage shop as they'd all ask "why would you want to wear this? It's like something my nan would wear" THATS THE POINT:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Of course it's fine. Why would it be classed as sad and if someone did class it as that why care what they think as they are obviously narrow minded twazzocks.

I always go shopping myself as I always worry that I am making others stand about for ages if I can't decide on something or end up going back to the same shop a trillion times.

I do "social shop" with my friends too but tend not to buy much on those trips.

Thanks, I think I'll stick to your method from now on:p
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    No. You must.always.go.with.someone.else

Seriously wtf?
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy far more things for myself when I am shopping on my own!......... it's far, far better!.........

I too like Gogfungle, like to social shop with friends but that's not really for buying!... that's a looking, drinking coffee and lunching type of 'shopping' !... :D..... now that a completely different kind of 'shopping' ...
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing in the world for a man is to be dragged around the shops while the wife/girlfriend is clothes shopping. It takes hours, you have to say everything is nice, you can't sneak away for a pint and you have to hang around the changing room area without looking like a perv.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    No. You must.always.go.with.someone.else

Seriously wtf?

Yes Im a bit confused by this myself.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Yes Im a bit confused by this myself.

It's a common type of question on here. "Is it OK to do xxxx alone?" whether xxx is going to the cinema, a gig, pub or on holiday - but this is the first time I've seen shopping mentioned.

Of course it's OK to do it by yourself. It's your time and your money. Spend it how you want.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The worst thing in the world for a man is to be dragged around the shops while the wife/girlfriend is clothes shopping. It takes hours, you have to say everything is nice, you can't sneak away for a pint and you have to hang around the changing room area without looking like a perv.

There's no danger of looking like a perv. The universal vacant look in every man's eyes and submissive body language whilst he waits for her is impossible to fake.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    I prefer To go myself, so kids or prams. Just a peaceful time on my own
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer to go to the toilet alone, am I weird ?
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, don't worry about being self conscious. Ask yourself, do you walk into a shop, take notice of other people and think to yourself, "why the hell is that wo/man alone?! Such a loser!"

I can't say I have (and if you have, then you're the loser for thinking it :D). I hate shopping, so it's straight in, get what I want, and straight back out again. I'm too busy trying to be as quick as possible to take note of what everyone else is up to :p

If you enjoy shopping alone, then go and do it. Have fun! :)
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only ever shop alone as I'm normally completely focused on what I want to buy and other people just get in my way.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »

Extremely.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I do all sorts of things in my own, including shopping. I find It less stressful on my own.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »

No lucky
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    What?? Are you serious OP? Just go your own! I love shopping on my own and HATE going with others.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Going shopping with a woman. Trail round several shops, nothing is quite right, spend ages in the men seats outside changing rooms, end up going back to the first shop and buying the first thing she tried on.

A man shopping -see something, buy it, go to pub
  • Options
    Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    I love shopping alone, hate shopping with friends or the other half. Mainly because they don't keep to my pace and they aren't patient enough because I love to browse, especially in shops like HMV.