Should Doctor Who news be confined to the spoiler thread?

2»

Comments

• be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once something has been officially announced by the very people who would want to keep real spoilers a secret you can't really class it as a spoiler.

The BBC are never going to reveal secret plot related stuff that would ruin an episode, but when they let out little details such as the return of Missy/Osgood/ zygons they do so because they WANT people to hear about it and share it to whet people's appetite for the return of the show and keep them interested during the wait for it's return.

I agree if you've seen something that has not been officially announced, that someone has found out through watching filming, or through someone off the set, or a leaked script then yes it should be confined to the spoiler thread or at least be in spoiler tags in whichever thread posted.

In the instance such as the one in this topic though, absolutely no, if it's been announced, it's not a spoiler, it's general news that the BBC wants you to know. No discussion of it should be stifled, no thread titles should have to be cryptic, as it is public knowledge and should be able to be freely talked about. If anyone really dosen't want to know anything even that's so small a detail that even the BBC thinks it's ok to share, then they should avoid all forums and probably newspapers for that matter as it is the only way they are ever going to do it.
    I agree. The front page of the BBC's own Doctor Who site has the headline "NEW VIDEO: How happy is Ingrid to be Back? Ingrid Oliver expresses her delight at returning as Osgood – in style!" along with a photo of Ingrid Oliver in costume.

www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

When a character's return is so prominently displayed on the official website, it's pretty safe to say that it's something the BBC would like us to know before the episode airs.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    I think it's clear that those that absolutely want to know nothing about the series going in, while they exist, are still in a small minority.

I don't think the rule is something requiring being enforced, but I would support the attitude of Corwin and others, in that it's nice to not give the game away in the thread title - and equally that spoilerphobes are aware that just by visiting, they might see information they don't want to.

Other than that, I agree that official BBC material is fair game.

Not to revive this particular debate, but...

I actually agree with this very reasonable opinion.

Where we ended up is good enough for me.

And just to correct an incorrect perception of my final position, I didn't actually end up by asking for all news discussion to be confined to the spoiler thread, I think the question as posited in this poll mis-represented my opinion more than somewhat and in so doing made it a straw man argument.

Even I couldn't vote in favour of this poll question as posed. :)