What do you do for a living

CosinCosin Posts: 765
Forum Member
✭✭
When you first meet someone is it considered against protocol to ask someone this? Whenever I play golf with someone I've never met before, I spend most of the round resisting the urge to ask this question as it might show a lack of imagination. Even when conversation runs dry, I fight quite hard not to ask this question. I hate it when someone I first meet asks me this. Don't you?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I can't be arsed with people bigging themselves up with what they do, unless they are genuinely making a difference. My brother refers to his job as "saving the world" but it is anything but.

My wife always nags at me as I break down my job role to the lowest denominator to make it look like I have a menial job, which always kills the conversation stone dead whenever some nobber is informing me that he has a successful job in the city buying and selling commodities, whereby they are probably flogging tea towels out of a suitcase down the market.

The problem is that people ask what you do in order to gauge your worth in society, although some simply do it as a conversation piece, like my neighbour saying "you can do mine if you like" whenever I am washing the car. Whilst I have a good work environment and are well paid, nice car, own house, gadgets etc, it is of no consequence to my perceived self-worth, as I see myself as no better in society than the cleaners who empty my bin in my office.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Asking what you do is generally ok just as a conversation piece. Asking how much they earn is not really on. Not in this country anyway. It's not always about placing you on a perceived pecking order.

Sometimes it opens up stories you can relate to each other. I once met a bloke who installs chandelliers in the homes of the rich and famous. It's not something I knew much about so it was quite interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gp...
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put the holes in donuts. It doesn't sound that good unless you know how I do it.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a zero hours, minimum wage nobody in a food factory
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind people asking and will tell them trouble is it usually ends up with them commiserating and saying I can do better when I actually enjoy what I do so the conversation isn't easy. I rarely ask others I am not sure why, I guess it's same reason I don't ask if people are married or have children, I figure if they want me to know they will tell me.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, few things I hate more in life than being asked this PERSONAL question, especially by someone I've just met.

If it doesn't benefit me to stay in the good books of whoever is asking, I reply with "this & that". It takes all my strength to refrain from replying with the truth which is 'none of your f-ing business!'
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I put the holes in donuts. It doesn't sound that good unless you know how I do it.

:o:blush::D:D:D
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I say I am a Research Scientist, it shuts most up.

For those that persist, I say that I am currently looking into High-temperature Superconductors for Electrical Transmission Systems.

I am then invariably forced to listen someone's lengthy story about their faulty new Toaster.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cosin wrote: »
    When you first meet someone is it considered against protocol to ask someone this?
    In my experience it's a standard, fairly early, conversation piece, amomgst men anyway.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I'm a speech and language therapist. I don't mind telling people that athough I tend to then get - 'oh, I'd better watch how I speak then' or 'I need you because I don't talk posh'

We don't do elocution.... >:(
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it opens up stories you can relate to each other. I once met a bloke who installs chandelliers in the homes of the rich and famous. It's not something I knew much about so it was quite interesting.
    I bet he's pig sick of people asking him whether his mates have ever been at the wrong end of the hall with the bedsheet when he's unscrewed the old chandelier for replacement. :D

https://youtu.be/LFuYIi5-igc
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Ds poster.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Security Guard.
    Not very glamorous.

Thoughto add, had someone point a gun at me once.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heh, I usually tell people that "I draw", kills that one stone dead. I have one of those jobs people react to with interest, but its not actually all that interesting. Which is awkward.

I wish people wouldn't ask that question so often.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cosin wrote: »
    I spend most of the round resisting the urge to ask this question
    Lucky you. I spend most of the round trying to keep my ball in play.

Oh and for a living I teach computers how to be useful ;)
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTE - 1 anchorman.

"Not coming up on RTE - 1 because it's over...f.eck all"
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asking what you do is generally ok just as a conversation piece. Asking how much they earn is not really on. Not in this country anyway. It's not always about placing you on a perceived pecking order.

bib - I couldn't help but think of Rodney, Grandad and Delboy and the chandelier :Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc

ETA: Sorry, somebody already beat me to it :blush:
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    In my experience it's a standard, fairly early, conversation piece, amomgst men anyway.

In mine too.

A friend of mine is the wife of the Headmaster of a famous public school. She has to do many, many 'meet and greets' with pupil's' parents/potential parents. It is her standard ice breaker when circulating. Being a public school, the format is 'May I ask what line are you in?'
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For those that persist, I say that I am currently looking into High-temperature Superconductors for Electrical Transmission Systems.

I am then invariably forced to listen someone's lengthy story about their faulty new Toaster.

The light on my sandwich toaster doesn't come on any more - any idea what the problem might be?
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Well, if you said 'Research Scientist' without expanding on the area of research, I'd figure you were trying to shut me down.

Hey ho, I don't do human interaction too well and generally avoid it.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

We're rather reserved about talking about what we earn aren't we? It's considered rather vulgar, unlike in the US where they are a bit more open about it. It wouldn't be seen as quite so crass to mention over there that I make well in excess of £100k, but it is here for some reason.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insurance risk analyst/large claims assessor.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a zero hours, minimum wage nobody in a food factory

Don't put yourself down by calling yourself a nobody.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Don't put yourself down by calling yourself a nobody.

Fully seconded.