http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2jViqMnnK4

Comments

• cazellcazell Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    So obvious, but still hilarious :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2jViqMnnK4

Very funny:p

But why do the Americans (I'm guessing it's the US as ear cropping is not allowed in the UK) insist on cropping the ears of Dobermans:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazell wrote: »
    Very funny:p

But why do the Americans (I'm guessing it's the US as ear cropping is not allowed in the UK) insist on cropping the ears of Dobermans:confused:

Fashion. They think it makes them look harder and more imposing as guards/deterrents. They also do it to Great Danes and Boxers.
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Tass wrote: »
    Fashion. They think it makes them look harder and more imposing as guards/deterrents. They also do it to Great Danes and Boxers.

Staffs, Am-Staffs, and Pit-Bulls too. :(

I never did 'get' that - I don't like tail 'docking' either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    Staffs, Am-Staffs, and Pit-Bulls too. :(

I never did 'get' that - I don't like tail 'docking' either.

Agreed and the imo ear cropping is even worse. It's done later after the ear flaps and the dog have grown and is a big enough operation to require lots of aftercare in splinting what's left of the ear flaps up over the head so the scar tissue forms in that position and reinforces the now lighter ears so they stay up when the strapping and splints are eventually removed. Barbaric and pointless :mad:
    Forum Member
    I don't get docking at all.

It makes as much sense as cutting the earlobes off all babies at birth.:eek:

My doberman (sadly PTS last month:cry:) had an intact tail - the breeder she came from doesn't dock.

The really annoying thing is that the Kennel Club could put a stop to it overnight, just by changing the breed standard - but they won't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I think you will find that docking has been banned in the UK since April 2007. Nothing to do with the KC.
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you could still get a vet to do it, just not do it yourself?

I'm against either BTW.
    Forum Member
    No-one can dock anymore (with a very, very small exception for some working dogs ie police dogs and working gundogs and even then the hoops to be jumped through mean that it doesn't happen very often).
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, so how come they are still allowed and encouraged in dog shows then? Like the other post said I mean, I don't know much about it myself.
    Forum Member
    I think you will find that docking has been banned in the UK since April 2007. Nothing to do with the KC.

Yes it is the KC.

Docking is technically outlawed unless a vet does it for "medical reasons" - breeders are no longer supposed to do it themselves, but the law is not properly enforced. The KC breed standards originally stipulated that certain breeds had to be docked for show purposes. Since the change in the law a few years ago, the KC has amended the breed standards to allow both docked and un-docked dogs.

They could put a stop to docking immediately simply by changing the breed standards to say that all dogs born after a given date must not be docked, but unfortunately the KC still prefers docked dogs for shows.
    Forum Member
    cazell wrote: »
    Yes it is the KC.

Docking is technically outlawed unless a vet does it for "medical reasons" - breeders are no longer supposed to do it themselves, but the law is not properly enforced. The KC breed standards originally stipulated that certain breeds had to be docked for show purposes. Since the change in the law a few years ago, the KC has amended the breed standards to allow both docked and un-docked dogs.

They could put a stop to docking immediately simply by changing the breed standards to say that all dogs born after a given date must not be docked, but unfortunately the KC still prefers docked dogs for shows.

Please get your facts right before posting. Docking was outlawed BY THE GOVERNMENT in April 2007. The KC had no choice but to change breed standards to allow the interim exhibition of docked dogs otherwise they would have had to ban the thousands of dogs legally docked prior to this date. In the long term you will not see any docked dogs in the show ring or walking the streets as it is no longer legal to dock (apart from those exceptions I mentioned in an earlier post). There is nothing to stop anyone buying a dog from any of the countries where docking is still allowed and importing it. They will not, however, be allowed to exhibit it at a show where the public has to pay to gain admission. They CAN exhibit it at a show which allows the public free entry. Again, rules introduced by the Government, not the KC. I have been breeding and exhibiting docked breeds for almost 30 years so I am fully aware of the whys and wherefores.
    Forum Member
    Please get your facts right before posting. Docking was outlawed BY THE GOVERNMENT in April 2007. The KC had no choice but to change breed standards to allow the interim exhibition of docked dogs otherwise they would have had to ban the thousands of dogs legally docked prior to this date. In the long term you will not see any docked dogs in the show ring or walking the streets as it is no longer legal to dock (apart from those exceptions I mentioned in an earlier post). There is nothing to stop anyone buying a dog from any of the countries where docking is still allowed and importing it. They will not, however, be allowed to exhibit it at a show where the public has to pay to gain admission. They CAN exhibit it at a show which allows the public free entry. Again, rules introduced by the Government, not the KC. I have been breeding and exhibiting docked breeds for almost 30 years so I am fully aware of the whys and wherefores.

Thank you - you demonstrate my point perfectly :D
    Forum Member
    I deliberately avoided the 'rights and wrongs' debate and simply stated the facts. Obviously not a temptation you could resist :rolleyes: