Options

Car insurance problem, is this even legal?

falcon7121falcon7121 Posts: 498
Forum Member
I found a quote on Confused.com for a really good price so i took out the policy.
However a week later i got a letter through the post saying that "due to recent changes to my policy they require an additional £105", no explanation was given as to why and i haven`t made any changes..
I`m going to be ringing them later, but first i just wondered if it is legal for them to want more money from me after i`ve accepted the policy and what is the best thing for me to say when i call them.
Thank you in advance

Comments

• Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    depends on the changes
    if if you say you have 10 years no claims but you only have 5 then yeah they can ask for more money

thing is these comparison websites are rubbish, i done a search last year, put inallmy details and wanted a guaranteed hire car,legalprotection and no claims protection but the cheapest quote they brought up didnt have any of these extras and a massive excess so when i added everything back on and brought the excess down a bit the quote hiked right up
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As fi has mentioned above, no one can give you any advice until you can tell us what they say the changes are. Post back when you know, so we can advise further
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that, eventually, there'll be a bunch of people posting to say that once a contract has been entered into blah...blah...blah...

Fact is that an insurance company will have all the legal bases covered.
    There'll be a clause in the small print somewhere which says that they're allowed to alter their prices under certain circumstances.
    If you don't like it they'll just refund your premium (minus a healthy administration fee) and leave you to find insurance elsewhere.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I'm sure that, eventually, there'll be a bunch of people posting to say that once a contract has been entered into blah...blah...blah...
    And whats wrong with that? A car insurance policy is a contract and if the insurer quoted a premium, issued the policy and took the money a contract has been entered into.

I would have thought that the only way the premium could be subsequently raised would be if the insured had omitted a fact or got a fact wrong, like in the example given above, given the wrong number of years of NCD.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Fact is that an insurance company will have all the legal bases covered.
    There'll be a clause in the small print somewhere which says that they're allowed to alter their prices under certain circumstances.
    If you don't like it they'll just refund your premium (minus a healthy administration fee) and leave you to find insurance elsewhere.

Well, I'm going to one of that bunch and say that a contract is a contract, and they can't just bump up the premium in the middle of the insured period because they feel like it (unless they want to fall foul of the Unfair Contract Terms regulations). No doubt the OP will update us once he's spoken to them, but I suspect it may be something like they haven't received confirmation of his no claims bonus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the replies, Firstly all of the details i gave were definitely all correct, as far as my no claims bonus are concerned i had to go back to none because i`ve just bought an additional car.
    I rang them earlier and i was told that it was an administration problem (their computer) and that they`re looking into the problem for me. They`re also going to reprocess my quote and whatever the new price is, thats what i have to pay and they`re going to ring me when they`ve done that.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    falcon7121 wrote: »
    I rang them earlier and i was told that it was an administration problem (their computer) and that they`re looking into the problem for me. They`re also going to reprocess my quote and whatever the new price is, thats what i have to pay and they`re going to ring me when they`ve done that.
    Have they issued a 12 month insurance certificate? If so I would tell them to get knotted and refer it to the ombudsman if it gets nasty.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always used an insurance broker who is not allied to any one company and scans all the insurers for the best deal for me. It may cost another £10 or so on the premium but for me it is money in the bank and well spent.

When I got crashed into on the M1 by a Polish lorry driver and my car written off, lord knows how I would have coped with the claim. Not only did they do this easily and hassle free they also got me a personal injury payment and all my medical/therapy bills paid in full.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the replies, Firstly all of the details i gave were definitely all correct, as far as my no claims bonus are concerned i had to go back to none because i`ve just bought an additional car.

their **** up , their problem , can you imagine Comet ringing you up and asking for another £100 because they undercharged you fro a TV , no , i cant either , in fact i would be onto the insurance ombudsman now , telling them about the insurance companies unfair practice !!!!

edit -- did the letter come from a broker or the insurance company itself ?
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    their **** up , their problem , can you imagine Comet ringing you up and asking for another £100 because they undercharged you fro a TV , no , i cant either , in fact i would be onto the insurance ombudsman now , telling them about the insurance companies unfair practice !!!!

You can't treat a car insurance company like buying a TV. Well you can try but if they withdraw their cover (which they're entitled to) then you end up driving illegally with no insurance and can not only lose your car but also face stiff fines, points on your license and may have difficulty getting insurance later on. (Leading to even more expensive cover).

OP, sort it with them and make sure you're covered at all times. Don't tell them to **** it, because it wil be YOU that ends up in the ****.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been 30 years since Ive worked in insurance, but back then companies had to stand by their quotes, even if they were incorrect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Have they issued a 12 month insurance certificate? If so I would tell them to get knotted and refer it to the ombudsman if it gets nasty.
    Yes they did issue me with a 12 month insurance certificate.
    did the letter come from a broker or the insurance company itself ?
    Yes the letter did come from the insurance company itself.
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toggler wrote: »
    I've always used an insurance broker who is not allied to any one company and scans all the insurers for the best deal for me. It may cost another £10 or so on the premium but for me it is money in the bank and well spent.

When I got crashed into on the M1 by a Polish lorry driver and my car written off, lord knows how I would have coped with the claim. Not only did they do this easily and hassle free they also got me a personal injury payment and all my medical/therapy bills paid in full.

And got paid a referral fee of about £1,000 from the solicitor they passed your case on to deal with!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they did issue me with a 12 month insurance certificate.

Yes the letter did come from the insurance company itself.

You need to talk to Consumer Direct (trading standards). If they quoted you a price and then issued a certificate they can't just change the price because of an "admin error". If you gave them the wrong facts that is different. But their mistake, their cost.