Options

Man jailed for burning Koran

Comments

• Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is true then it is abhorrent - people should not be jailed for burning bibles, Quran's, poppies or any other symbolic, ultimately meaningless things.

I don't agree with burning of the Quran, given the current political climate, plus I suspect most people burning them have racist tendencies and have no other purpose other than to provoke.

But still - jail I cannot approve of.

Chowdry who burnt the poppies got a £50 fine. British patriots 0, Muslims 1. :D
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should simply repeal this ridiculous law. History tells us it's the non-believers who need protecting from religion,not the other way round! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    He stole a library book and destroyed it so should be punished for that, I'd assume thats normally a community service offence. 70 days jail because the book happened to be a religious book is shocking, and very sad news for those of us who believe in freedom of speech

More likely a fine. How many people have forgotten to take Library books back, do they get 70 days too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A religious death sentence may not come officially for a while yet but the worrying signs are there in places like Tower Hamlets

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1377780/London-Taliban-targeting-women-gays-bid-impose-sharia-law.html

Well we could just seal off the area and check everybody's immigration status. :D
  • Options
    FrankieHowerdFrankieHowerd Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superstition eh?:rolleyes::p:rolleyes:
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    i would have more sympathy for him if he didnt steal the book and have previous convictions. other than that anyone should be free to burn any book they wish as long as its legally theirs

... which he could have done behind closed doors, in the privacy of his own room; to his heart's content. However ......
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a man who has committed at least one racially motivated crime in the past. He is a member of the EDL. He steals a Qur'an from a library and in a public place with one of the people present being his former parole officer he proceeds to spout hatred and then burns the Qur'an. He knew it was incitement - he said as much. There was no way he was gong to get released with a slap on the wrist.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In protest to all these book burners I am going to burn some matches tomorrow....that'll show em.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The daily mail is a quality paper, I read it religiously.

Damn, I can't burn it now.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the report on the local news, some of his EDL friends turned up to support him, Chanting waving flags scuffling with court security and police,
    Made one proud to be British,........... NOT,

BIG mistake by the judge, should have given him community service, in the local mosque,
    Sending him down has turned him into a martyr,
    the best way to treat holy book burners, flag or poppy burners is to ignore them, they are seeking a reaction, and by reacting you are helping them in that aim,
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy had six previous convictions which probably accounts for why his punishment was more severe.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should simply repeal this ridiculous law. History tells us it's the non-believers who need protecting from religion,not the other way round! ;-)

Yes. God save us from the religious. ;)
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do tell me when your paranoid delusions of the death penalty being brought back, not only brought back but brought back in a religious context actually happen.

Don't 'honour' killings count? We've had a few of those.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't surprise me that some cotton wool-wrapped barbarians out in the Middle East will not feel that his punishment is satisfactory enough and will kill some aid workers to even out the score.

And then get caterwauling apologists saying that it was his fault. :sleep:
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    The guy had six previous convictions which probably accounts for why his punishment was more severe.

What for? It didn't mention them in the link.
    If that's the case, then no wonder he was jailed.

However, it's the poppy burner getting so light a punishment that will be the cause of more and more trouble.

One sometimes wonders whether "the powers that be" aren't working subversively to ferment more and more trouble.

I'll get my tin hat now:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Here is a man who has committed at least one racially motivated crime in the past. He is a member of the EDL. He steals a Qur'an from a library and in a public place with one of the people present being his former parole officer he proceeds to spout hatred and then burns the Qur'an. He knew it was incitement - he said as much. There was no way he was gong to get released with a slap on the wrist.

Being a member of the EDL is now a crime is it.
    Our freedoms are being eroded, bit by bit, when I talked on here about how EDL were kettled and how that wound them up, I was told they deserved it. Now, because students and union people were kettled it's against there human rights.

EDL is being used as a guinea pig to see how far they can go in stopping protest.
    Please read this,
    http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/site/article/10290/

You'l see that this CRASBO is being tested on the EDL now, and it will be used on you in the future if you should decide to protest in the future.
    Freedom of of speech, freedom of expression is no more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I'm on spiked I cam across this, which is also interesting.
    http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/site/article/10375/
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we could just seal off the area and check everybody's immigration status. :D

If only it was that easy. I suspect most of them were either UK born or have citizenship.
  • Options
    DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Do they or do they just say they do? Their presidents get sworn in with the Bible, they have "In God We Trust" on their dollar bills and in their national anthem and they give tax breaks to various religious causes/organisation. Not to mention an Athiest would never get elected there.

They have no more seperation of church and state than we do.

Religious organisations get tax breaks because they register themselves as charities. The President doesn't have to swear on a Bible, he/she could use any religious text or none at all. I can't defend god on their money, they should all be ashamed of that IMO.

/ The Americans don't have the sight of teachers in state schools leading students in Christian prayer as many here still do. So they're ahead of us there...
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chowdry who burnt the poppies got a £50 fine. British patriots 0, Muslims 1. :D

Did Chowdry steal the poppies he set fire to?
  • Options
    DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    I need clarification... I can I be locked up for burning The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS9 wrote: »
    I need clarification... I can I be locked up for burning The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Don't be silly. The Flying Spaghetti monster is made up and written about in a book. Nobody has ever seen him either whereas with mainstream religion...er....hang on a minute. ;)
  • Options
    geordiejackiegeordiejackie Posts: 3,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just my take on it you burn the bible you go to Gaol burn the Quran you go to Gaol but i agree with some posters this country is on a slippery slope to many double standards the poppy burning was a disgrace and the police or CPS got that wrong regards jack
  • Options
    geordiejackiegeordiejackie Posts: 3,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    and since the budgie is already behind bars...... :D

Free budgie's worldwide :)
  • Options
    Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS9 wrote: »

I think so. You would be "inciting religious hatred" whatever that means. It's the new blasphemy.