Options

Human League 'Don't you want me' iTunes Chart

RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
Forum Member
Anyone have any ideas why Human League's Don't You Want Me is at no15 on itunes?

have I missed something!??

Comments

• Options
    ShowaddywaddyShowaddywaddy Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Yes. Nobody wants you! (baby)
  • Options
    sheepiestarsheepiestar Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    It's because fans of Aberdeen FC use it for a chant. We won the Scottish league cup on Sunday and our player Peter Pawlett was instrumental in getting us to the final. He was injured so couldn't play :( there is a campaign locally to get the song to no1.

PETER PAWLETT BABY, PETER PAWLETT OOOOOOOH! :)
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Now No. 13

It's a great song, one of the all time great British singles.

Why is it in the chart, no idea, sorry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Now up to #5
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    It's because fans of Aberdeen FC use it for a chant. We won the Scottish league cup on Sunday and our player Peter Pawlett was instrumental in getting us to the final. He was injured so couldn't play :( there is a campaign locally to get the song to no1.

Don't normally like these campaigns, but this one doesn't sound forced or contrived somehow - it's actually about the piece of music, not some stupid idea about a so-called political message. (Witch is Dead, Raining Men etc).

The music was catchy enough to be adopted as a chant, so it's generating its own success. Well done Phil!
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What will they sing if they win the Scottish Cup as well?
  • Options
    AFC69AFC69 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    What will they sing if they win the Scottish Cup as well?

To the tune of KC and the Sunshine Band, "Baby give it up" -

"na na na na na na na na na, Jonny Johny Hayes, Jonny Hayes, Jonny Johny Hayes"
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aberdeen have that many fans?
  • Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

43,000 of them (inc me) at the final on Sunday.

#coyr
    #PeterPawlettBabyToNumberOne
    #humanleaguehq

Last I heard it was 4 in itunes chart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZrC0du-IIA
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its so sad...

not only to see the human league being best known for their arguably worst single release (c'mon its a frikkin nursery rhyme), but because that song and its associated memories belong in the dark cold freeze of december 81. (for me its the associated memories that are the best thing about it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its so sad...

not only to see the human league being best known for their arguably worst single release (c'mon its a frikkin nursery rhyme), but because that song and its associated memories belong in the dark cold freeze of december 81. (for me its the associated memories that are the best thing about it)

You're a cheery soul eh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    You're a cheery soul eh!

yeaaahh its in my nature! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now at 21 in the Official Charts Midweek Top 40.

Played on R1 chart update 20 mins ago.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its so sad...

You are Morrissey and I claim my £5!!!
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Classic song from a classic album, so nice to hear about this. :)

Right, Aberdeen are now my 'Scottish' league side of choice. Random like that. It was Clydebank when I was a kid. Have absolutely no idea why!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Classic song from a classic album, so nice to hear about this. :)

Right, Aberdeen are now my 'Scottish' league side of choice. Random like that. It was Clydebank when I was a kid. Have absolutely no idea why!

Get yourself up to Glasgow for the Scottish Cup Semi Final!

Human League aplenty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    Get yourself up to Glasgow for the Scottish Cup Semi Final!

Human League aplenty.

Ha. Love to but short of Ackers so will keep an eye out on TV! :)

Had a couple of lovely trips to Scotland. Really like the place and the people. My hometown was very lively and fun last weekend because of the rugby. Only criticism, a lot of the Scots were MASSIVE and made me feel like a real Welsh shortarse.

Enjoy the Sound of the Crowd. ^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

fav track of 81 that :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha. Love to but short of Ackers so will keep an eye out on TV! :)

Had a couple of lovely trips to Scotland. Really like the place and the people. My hometown was very lively and fun last weekend because of the rugby. Only criticism, a lot of the Scots were MASSIVE and made me feel like a real Welsh shortarse.

Thank god for the football after what happened on Saturday!

Can only imagine what a Scotland supporting Inverness Caley fan who follows Man Utd was feeling like on Sunday night.

Not good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fav track of 81 that :)

Great tune. Found the lyrics pretty impenetrable when I was 12...still do, actually!

Think The Things that Dreams are Made Of is my standout. Any song that mentions Norman Wisdom and The Ramones in the same line is genius to me. (any song? Think I'm safe in saying it's the only one!)

Right, thanks to this thread and Aberdeen fans am off to put Dare on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like they'll have to go some to beat Duke Dumont, which would make him the 'Campaign Killer'... last year he stopped 'Ding Dong' getting to number one.

Tbf, the Duke Dumont track is superb, and Human League have been at number one before, but it would be the best top two in the charts for a while, top three if John Legend is in there also. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but because that song and its associated memories belong in the dark cold freeze of december 81. (for me its the associated memories that are the best thing about it)

lol, I know what you mean about songs being 'frozen in time'. 'Young At Heart' by the Bluebells was number one cause of an advert on my sixteenth birthday, which quite disorientated me, because I'd remembered it from the summer holidays a decade before when I was really little. :)

DYWM is one of those songs, though, even though I don't remember it when it was number one, that you're kind of born knowing... I think you're doing it a disservice. If it gets younger people into them and their more sophisticated New Romantic/Synth stuff, what's the problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol, I know what you mean about songs being 'frozen in time'. 'Young At Heart' by the Bluebells was number one cause of an advert on my sixteenth birthday, which quite disorientated me, because I'd remembered it from the summer holidays a decade before when I was really little. :)

DYWM is one of those songs, though, even though I don't remember it when it was number one, that you're kind of born knowing... I think you're doing it a disservice. If it gets younger people into them and their more sophisticated New Romantic/Synth stuff, what's the problem?

firstly, i dont think it will. theres no urge to discover better new romantic music. dywm could be at #1 for several weeks but i doubt itll transfere to 'dare'.

secondly...i dont want it to! the whole hl/dare era belongs locked in MY memory vault to remind my of MY past when I was young! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    firstly, i dont think it will. theres no urge to discover better new romantic music. dywm could be at #1 for several weeks but i doubt itll transfere to 'dare'.

secondly...i dont want it to! the whole hl/dare era belongs locked in MY memory vault to remind my of MY past when I was young! :D

I love New Romantic music! :cool:

I would've been 2 or 3 when Steve Strange and his friends were flouncing around the Blitz Club, but the last couple of years I've been listening to a lot of synth stuff like Visage, Japan, Ultravox, Human League and lesser known stuff like The Mood and Peter Godwin... getting listening suggestions from blogs and the like.

I like the fact that the internet makes it easier to get into long lost scenes with all the tracks and Youtube videos. I even went onto the DS Fashion and Beauty forum for advice on getting an authentic 'flick fringe' for a 'pop legends' fancy dress party at Christmas. It wasn't that successful as it kept springing up as a kind of quiff, but I went as a generic 'New Romantic', with a frilly white shirt, though all the Elvis's and Madonnas looked blankly at me. :D