UEFA Champion's League 2013/2014 Thread

Comments

• Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There really is some exquisite bitterness on display, in here.

Bravo, chaps. Keep it coming.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There really is some exquisite bitterness on display, in here.

Bravo, chaps. Keep it coming.

There is and it is sooooooooo sad, but totally to be expected im afraid.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to laugh at the commentator saying Utd were 'all conquering heroes', like they had just won WWIII. Maybe Sky just don't give a **** now that BT will have the CL.

Still, a good win. Dortmund would be an incredibly fun game to watch for everyone. Like 2 glassjawed, but KO artist, boxers fighting each other.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    United and Chelsea are probably the two worst sides left in it, be better for English football if they draw each other that way guaranteeing a semi finalist from england

To be fair United or Chelsea (and Arsenal or City if they'd stayed in) could win it from here beating Barca, Real and Bayern at each stage and you'd still refuse to give any credit.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never a dull moment with United.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    One of the most exciting last 8 (potentially) for the neutral.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't rule out Chelsea against any of the remaining teams.

United, however, I don't expect to make it past the QFs whoever they get, but stranger things have happened...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bayern still favourites I think, they really should be going for their third in a row. Real Madrid next best, could we finally have a Classico Final?
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me Real Madrid has been the most impressive team.

Ronaldo just banging them in from all angles and Bale has really improved the team.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me Real Madrid has been the most impressive team.

Ronaldo just banging them in from all angles and Bale has really improved the team.

I agree, on their day Ronaldo and co are unstoppable. Bale doing really well which is good to see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right now Bayern are still the favourites for the CL, I'd say - but much of that is due to the quality they have in depth on paper. Them, Barca, and to a lesser degree RM have all have been in second gear against their opponents - at least when they were at home. That said, I suppose it shows the quality of the opponents they faced that they could not be at their best and still get through. With the quality left in the last 8, all teams will have to bring their A Game.

It's a shame what's happened to Dortmund - they were looking so bright in the earlier part of the season, until November really, when their injury crisis kicked in and since then there form has never really been the same. They're a good team - but only at full strength. Ever since Gundogan got injured, they've not look the same and Lewandowski has been very hit/miss.They're also really missing the Hummels/Subotic partnership; they've got no cover which even comes close to that defensive partnership - Sokratis has really been disappointing for them. They definitely need to strengthen in the summer, but it'll be interesting to see if they can keep their stars. They're probably joint weakest in the Last 16, along with my team Manchester United.

I loved watching last night, and for once seeing some passion in the team - Welbeck gave us some much needed pace, and well Jones wasn't completely terrible. De Gea has really proved his critics wrong - he's one of the great keepers in the EPL. Nauseating to see all the commentators go on and on about Giggs when RVP's scored a hattrick. I don't usually ever agree with Moyes, but he's right when he says we can't keep on relying on a forty year old. It's embarrassing, in the same way our dependency on Scholes was in later years. We ought to have faced up to finding replacements for both a long time ago. Anyway, the only team I think United have a chance of beating in the last 8 are Dortmund. The rest, not by a long shot.

Real Madrid really are a different proposition this year. Last year, most of their players were either generally out of form, or had patchy form - Casillas, Ramos, Pepe, Di Maria, Benzema, Higuain, Ozil in particular. The only one who really, was consistently in form was Ronaldo. This time, Benzema, Ronaldo, Bale, are all in form and really work well together. Di Maria's playing well consistently for the first in well....a long time. Ramos and Pepe seem to be a decent defensive partnership, and Luka Modric has really shined for them. They're the second favourites to win this competition, and I'd fancy them against most of the teams in the last 8 - making an exception for Bayern and Atletico - I don't think RM have really been able to cope with their [AM] pace.

Barcelona actually didn't play that well versus City - although by no means was it a bad performance. City, in the second leg actually had a fair few chances but were completely deficient in front of goal when it came to actually taking advantage of them. The match last week especially showed the importance of having a good, settled defensive partnership - every time Barca hit them on the counter City couldn't cope; they were on knife edge. Yet, there still some defensive gaps; and Mascherano still isn't working as a CB, and Pique is still lacking as well. Alba's got good vision, and great attack poweress - but he isn't the best defensively either. Alves has been very hit and miss this season, and the Neymar/Messi partnership isn't really working. Busquets' form has been awful. In short, Messi, Iniesta and Valdes are carrying this team right now. They're Barca, they've still got good players so they're in with a good chance of winning this competition, but you'd imagine teams like Chelsea, Bayern, etc will give their defences are good run for their money.

PSG look great; but how much of this is all Ibra? It'll be interesting to see how they do in the last 8; they're something of an enigma. I'd imagine that a team like Atletico would give Bayern a real run for their money - Gibbs did well in his duel with Robben, and Bayern had difficulties in dealing with Oxlade-Chamberlain's pace. I also don't feel that Dante-Boateng partnership is secure, and Alaba hasn't been his usual self as of late. Still, they have a star showcase of midfielders; Muller, in particular is a fantastic player and for me can really change a game for Bayern - same for Thiago. I think Chelsea could definitely give Bayern a run for the money - although I think they'd falter against RM. This Chelsea side is definitely capable of getting to the semis; despite being a team in transition. But winning the whole thing? I'm not too sure.

Looking forward to the last 8 draw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping we get Dortmund, no Lewandowski in the first leg as well. One of the weaker sides left and I want revenge for last year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    lol @ Figo being the 'ambassador', when fans of one of the most important teams presumably detest him. :D

He sounds just like Mourinho!
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Toughest draw possible for Man Utd. At least expectations will be low.
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barca v Athletico Madrid
    Real Madrid v Dortmund
    PSG v Chelsea
    Manchester United v Bayern Munich

Should be straightforward for Real Madrid
    Barca v Athletico could go either way
    PSG v Chelsea, think PSG may shade that if Ibrahimovic is on form
    Man Yoo v Bayern, United have done well getting this far given their difficult season but think Bayern may just have too much for them over two legs
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Barca
    Madrid
    Chelsea
    Bayern
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    I don't care what Mourinho says, I think he will be absolutely delighted with drawing PSG, especially with the 2nd leg at home.

Real also have to be happy with drawing Dortmund. I really wanted them to draw Bayern. can't see them not winning the first leg at home, and I believe that will ultimately prove decisive

not happy with that Barca draw at all. I wanted either Man U or Dortmund. that'll be 6 times against Atletico this season, and all 3 so far have been tough draws.

Man U are up against it, big time
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Chelsea, Bayern, Real and Barca it is then.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chelsea, Bayern, Real and Barca it is then.

Should be but I think PSG v Chelsea will be very very close.

Barcelona should win over two legs but again I expect two close games.

Bayern are going to to hammer Utd twice!!
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Chelsea will be happy with that draw

Think Atletico will shock Barca

Real will cruise through

Bayern/Man U will be nothing short of an almighty massacre
  • RazorOzRazorOz Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hard to see anything but Real Madrid comfortably getting past Dortmund who likely have 6 of the 11 that started last years Champions League final out for the first leg (and 5 for the 2nd leg).

I think Barcelona will edge Atletico. Experience in the competition may pay dividends here.

PSG to beat Chelsea. PSG look to be improving all the time, and in close matches like this having a lack of firepower can really show.

And it's hard to see anything but Bayern routing Man Utd.
    Forum Member
    Second leg at home is huge for CFC too. I'd be amazed if they didn't get through. As Pee said Mourinho will be delighted with that
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Barca
    Madrid
    Chelsea
    Bayern

Agreed with that.

Maybe the ties aren't as exciting as they could have been but AM will give Barca a good game whilst Dortmund know they've beaten Real Madrid before.
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Agreed with that.

Maybe the ties aren't as exciting as they could have been but AM will give Barca a good game whilst Dortmund know they've beaten Real Madrid before.

Dortmund have been plagued by injuries all year though and are missing Lewandowski for first leg afaik

Hard to see Real not winning this handy, they're in flying form

Barca v Atleti toughest to call imo, 3 draws this season. Atletico 9/4 at the bookies is far too long and insulting imo, def having a bit of that
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this quote was very true ..
    In a way drawing Bayern is good news for Moyes. Losing to the greatest team in the world is expected/forgivable; victory would be remarkable