The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the episode. I think a Iain was right to be sent home, he couldve sent up what he had, and still be saved. I dunno about Diana. I don't think she did it maliciously. But why would you not tell him. It shouldn't of been in that freezer, but you cant leave it out and not tell. It may or may not have been 40 seconds, but how long would she have waited to speak. If he was busy doing some decrative thing that took 10 minutes, would she have still left it there.

Bloody Norman still around. I kinda really like everyone now bat him and Diana (Didn't like her before this, this didn't change anything). Was surprised Martha wasn't called out for the star baker aswell...
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    People seem to be assuming Diana's illness is serious, she could have a stomach bug or something that would mean she couldn't cook. Anyway I hope it was something like that Poor woman doesn't deserve hounding and abusing because melted ice cream caused someone to throw their toys out of the pram.

I really hope Iain doesn't come back next week, as I've said before if he'd not thrown a tantrum and had presented what he's made he probably wouldn't have gone home. Remember when a contestant (I can't remember which) knocked his chocolate cake on the floor - he scraped up what was left, presented it to the judges and stayed in.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Dramatic much.

I think it was tongue-in-cheek.
  • Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    People seem to be assuming Diana's illness is serious, she could have a stomach bug or something that would mean she couldn't cook.

She had a fall, bashed her head and lost her sense of taste and smell.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/aug/28/diana-beard-quit-bake-off-smell-taste
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I hope all you baiters are happy now you have made the poor woman ill and forced to leave the programme 3 months ago.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Oh god this programme is really hitting the buffers now.

Once you reach the point where the BBC gets 500 complaints by the hard of perspective (Ofcom hasn't said whether they've had any... yet) , it shows that the programme has hit Big Brother territory.

Mary Berry would be wise to stop after this series before she begins to get targeted by the lunatics for smiling the wrong way or whatever.

Pity, but it was bound to happen once the audiences got so big and the editorial team began fabricating 'narratives'.
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a shame that Diana had to quit because of illness, I hope she has recovered

The BBC producers must understand that if the edit only blames Iain people will rebel against what's put in front of them.
    It's their fault that Diana is getting so much criticism because of their BS edit
  • jg.jg. Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media vitriol against Diana is horrid, but sadly predictable. And typical conspiracy theories abound: ie) the producers after Ian's (rightful) ejection asking Diana to leave, when it was filmed back in late Spring. My thoughts are with her
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Well I hope all you baiters are happy now you have made the poor woman ill and forced to leave the programme 3 months ago.

The swines!!! :D
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are pretty nasty people who want to win at any cost. Those W.I. judges on Masterchef are vile.

There are some scary people in the WI. I'm sure all this fuss has been less of a trial to Diana than the WI AGM :D

If she can go to WI meetings and survive she can cope with a bit of BBC nonsense.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be a dumb question, but presumably the interior part of the ice cream must have been more frozen than the outer, couldn't he just just have reduced the size of his intended Alaska to fit the proportions of what he now had as an ice cream centre?
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    She had a fall, bashed her head and lost her sense of taste and smell.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/aug/28/diana-beard-quit-bake-off-smell-taste
    "Yes, I admit I took his ice-cream out of the freezer and this sounds terribly selfish but this was my space and I didn't even see him put it there. I honestly don't know why he put it there. The three of us on that side of the tent, Chetna, Nancy and myself, were told that this was our freezer to use and to manage it to the best of our ability.

"I don't regret taking his baked alaska out of the freezer. Of course I didn't do it viciously but we were all wanting a freezer and it was utter chaos, utter chaos. I thought he had his own freezer."
    Taken from the above link. Has this woman apologised yet?
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever has gone on, this whole affair has left a really nasty taste in my mouth. This is not what the Bake Off was ever about, it was a nice, sedate show, where amateur bakers make cakes. Whilst some winners / contestants have had success, I don't think anyone has made their fortune by winning. It was only ever supposed to be a nice competition.

To be on the thread last night, with people calling Diana a Bit*h and the like, was really upsetting. Even at the height of "Ruby gate" last year, I don't remember seeing such language being used.

I think the producer have a lot to answer for, they have showed half a story, with no explanation, no one knows what was in the original edit, or what was said to the judges off camera. The fact that his ice cream was not mentioned by the judges, makes me think that maybe it wasn't as significant as we think. Regardless though, the edit has taken the competition down a path that I really don't like.

The show was filled months ago. I remember talking to Sue 2 years ago, at the end of May, and the final had just been filmed - and I think this year was on a fairly similar schedule.

Also, in the early days the challenges were designed to be challenging, but not impossible - it was always great to see the bakers being successful (to varying degrees) - now it just seems to be about "how many ways can they be caught out"

The show is a victim of it's own success - I think the move to BBC1 has meant they they have had to up the scandal level .. but really, it's just made it X-factor with sponges (and I hate the X-factor)

let's hope the thread / programme is better natured next week
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    That's not a mystery. They video the whole thing so the video tape of the incident would have the time on it I would imagine. It would be extremely odd if they didn't. It would be more likely the production team providing the information when the cake batter hit the fan after the show. Diana didn't sound to me as if she knew how long it had been (which is understandable in the pressure of the day) and was just repeating a time which was, by then, already out there.

So therefore there is no reason for anyone here to disbelieve anyone on or connected with the show then. No reason for anyone here to claim that the 40 seconds is a convenient way of covering something. No reason for anyone here to claim (as if they were there at the time) that someone was telling "a fib"

I'll leave it there,.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    Okay this has gone from a bit of a controversy to a full blown crisis now. There are so many unanswered questions that the BBC needs to start addressing IMMEDIATELY. The entire bake off franchise is now at risk with the inept way this is being managed.

Public confidence needs to be restored ASAP and that can only come with answers.
    Really?

Are you being serious?
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didnt apologise, even for a mistake. Fact is she took out his icecream.

She didnt go comfort him after seeing how upset he was, she could have tried.

She didnt say one word to the judges when he took the bin up there, even if it was hopeless its a nice gesture. Even if she didnt belive 40 seconds caused that, it affected him and his performance.

Also I dont belive everything that is just said to us...they need to put up the raw footage on line. They might be amused that 500 + people compained but they still need to address that.

I am more annoyed that the judges didnt know. Whether on purpose or accident...the line that he put it in her freezer means its not an accident...someway she should have been penalised.

Also Iain has given an interview to the Guardian, he says he still doesnt know why she did it and that they had only 3 freezers for all of them. They did have 5 originally but the day before 2 broke down, so no one had their own freezer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't waded through this afternoon's post, but this is on the BBC News website
    And I am amazed that
    Some viewers have since called for his reinstatement, suggesting Beard engineered his dismissal by taking his ice cream out of the freezer.

Do these people really think that the programme was recorded this week? With temperatures of 25 degrees, with buttercups in full bloom, with horse chestnut blossom out?

Or do they think that the BBC can use the Tardis to travel back a good few months?

Really, some people .......
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever has gone on, this whole affair has left a really nasty taste in my mouth. This is not what the Bake Off was ever about, it was a nice, sedate show, where amateur bakers make cakes. Whilst some winners / contestants have had success, I don't think anyone has made their fortune by winning. It was only ever supposed to be a nice competition.

To be on the thread last night, with people calling Diana a Bit*h and the like, was really upsetting. Even at the height of "Ruby gate" last year, I don't remember seeing such language being used.

I think the producer have a lot to answer for, they have showed half a story, with no explanation, no one knows what was in the original edit, or what was said to the judges off camera. The fact that his ice cream was not mentioned by the judges, makes me think that maybe it wasn't as significant as we think. Regardless though, the edit has taken the competition down a path that I really don't like.

The show was filled months ago. I remember talking to Sue 2 years ago, at the end of May, and the final had just been filmed - and I think this year was on a fairly similar schedule.

Also, in the early days the challenges were designed to be challenging, but not impossible - it was always great to see the bakers being successful (to varying degrees) - now it just seems to be about "how many ways can they be caught out"

The show is a victim of it's own success - I think the move to BBC1 has meant they they have had to up the scandal level .. but really, it's just made it X-factor with sponges (and I hate the X-factor)

All she had to say was sorry. It was all the silence. Why couldnt those words come out.

But yeah the hate is disgraceful, and sad. Poor Diane, heard she pulled out because she was ill too.

Iain's take is interesting, nice guy, but he thinks it was left out longer:
    http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/aug/28/great-british-bake-off-ian-watters-speaks-diana-beard
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Really?

Are you being serious?

Some people here are really pathetic and getting so serious and vitriolic about an incident in a frivolous cooking series. Get a life people and cease your unfounded conspiracy theories and go out and do something constructive, for goodness sake.
    It is a great shame that a light-hearted programme like this is beginning to descend into the sort of thing we expect to see on Channel 5, say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So therefore there is no reason for anyone here to disbelieve anyone on or connected with the show then. No reason for anyone here to claim that the 40 seconds is a convenient way of covering something. No reason for anyone here to claim (as if they were there at the time) that someone was telling "a fib"

I'll leave it there,.

My comment there (leaning on my legal background :D) would be someone saying it was 40 seconds is not proof it was. Proof would be the videotapes themselves.

I see no reason for anyone to lie but I'm a bit OCD with this kind of thing.

So it is possible we have been told it was 40 seconds when the videotapes would show us something different.

Not that it matters now of course. What's done is done.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All she had to say was sorry. It was all the silence. Why couldnt those words come out.

But yeah the hate is disgraceful, and sad. Poor Diane, heard she pulled out because she was ill too.

Iain's take is interesting, nice guy, but he thinks it was left out longer:
    http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/aug/28/great-british-bake-off-ian-watters-speaks-diana-beard

Iain doesn't believe his ice cream was left out of the freezer for only 40 seconds either.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't waded through this afternoon's post, but this is on the BBC News website
    Diana leaves show

There is no doubt in my mind this whole fuss was deliberately created by irresponsible editing.

Hope Ian is a surprise reinstatement next week, but I suspect it will be a week with no elimination instead.

I really feel sorry for Diana now.

I feel sorry for both of them, really.
    I think it backfired on the BBC - I wonder if the idea was to make Ian look like a bit of a wuss throwing a strop and it all went a bit baked Alaska on them?
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever has gone on, this whole affair has left a really nasty taste in my mouth.

<snip>

I totally agree with everything you said here (snipped for brevity). Reading through the thread last night as I caught up was horrible, really vicious, as has a lot of the reaction on twitter & in the media.

I thought better of bake off viewers, even after Ruby last year I never thought they'd sink so low.

A horrid affair all round, and hopefully bake off (and viewers) can move past it swiftly and get back to enjoying the programme as it was meant to be - cakes, biscuits & all round jolly good fun.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Starpuss wrote: »
    My comment there (leaning on my legal background :D) would be someone saying it was 40 seconds is not proof it was. Proof would be the videotapes themselves.

I see no reason for anyone to lie but I'm a bit OCD with this kind of thing.

So it is possible we have been told it was 40 seconds when the videotapes would show us something different.

Not that it matters now of course. What's done is done.
    If you have a legal background then you should know that you cannot make claims unless you know them to be fact and not hearsay.

None of us know what was said, in what order events happened or anything else because we only saw an edited version. We were not there when it happened, and editing can make black look white and vice versa.

The BBC already knew that Diana had left before they aired last night's programme and my suspicion is (and it's only a suspicion) that the editing was deliberately done to make her look bad so people could then claim that she left because of the incident and not because she was unwell. It could be an unscrupulous way of creating controversy to try to increase viewers when it's more likely to have the opposite effect.

I sincerely hope and believe that Sue has more integrity than to lie about the 40 seconds.

Friday's Extra Slice should be interesting to see how the BBC handles it after the reactions there have been.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    If you have a legal background then you should know that you cannot make claims unless you know them to be fact and not hearsay.

None of us know what was said, in what order events happened or anything else because we only saw an edited version. We were not there when it happened, and editing can make black look white and vice versa.

The BBC already knew that Diana had left before they aired last night's programme and my suspicion is (and it's only a suspicion) that the editing was deliberately done to make her look bad so people could then claim that she left because of the incident and not because she was unwell. It could be an unscrupulous way of creating controversy to try to increase viewers when it's more likely to have the opposite effect.

I sincerely hope and believe that Sue has more integrity than to lie about the 40 seconds.

What claims am I making? :confused::confused:

I merely pointed out that a statement that it was 40 seconds is not proof it was 40 seconds. Which is true.