Options

The Fall: Series Two (UK Pace)

Comments

• Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Preview clip from next week. Paul's family return home and - guess what - they're being watched by the cops.

The cops do a lot of watching even if they don't actually catch serial killers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WqkMTaPEu0&list=UUCj956IF62FbT7Gouszaj9w

Has Glenn ever had a scene with Paul's wife yet?
    They were brother and sister in Hollyoaks and that's always in my head whenever I see them in this! lol

Trouble is, they're usually watching the wrong thing (bit like Inspector Clueso) Now if they'd put a tail on Katie when she went to meet Spector in the wine bar it would have led them stright to him and demolished her "alibi" at the same time.
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Preview clip from next week. Paul's family return home and - guess what - they're being watched by the cops.

The cops do a lot of watching even if they don't actually catch serial killers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WqkMTaPEu0&list=UUCj956IF62FbT7Gouszaj9w

Has Glenn ever had a scene with Paul's wife yet?
    They were brother and sister in Hollyoaks and that's always in my head whenever I see them in this! lol
    Didn't they just have a scene tonight where they visited her to question Paul's alibi?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why I don't like this series so much is that he's no longer hiding in plain sight like he was in series 1.

There's one thing that they haven't explained is what happened to his job since he's been back from Scotland. Presumably he's no longer going into work every day, otherwise they'd be tailing him. So how was he referred to take on Annie Brawley's case?
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    Didn't they just have a scene tonight where they visited her to question Paul's alibi?

Ah. Right. didn't see the first part of tonights episode (I do Tivo it so I'll watch it at some point) so it that happened I missed it.
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    must admit the quote of the episode: Cantona: "why are women emotionally and spiritually so much stronger than men". ...Stella: "maleness is a kind of birth defect". Well a bit harsh but I'm not a scientist
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why I don't like this series so much is that he's no longer hiding in plain sight like he was in series 1.

There's one thing that they haven't explained is what happened to his job since he's been back from Scotland. Presumably he's no longer going into work every day, otherwise they'd be tailing him. So how was he referred to take on Annie Brawley's case?

I don't think he was referred. He just turned up at the hospital and claimed to have been.
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mind Scully, Leslie Nielson and the police squad would have got him by episode 3.
    I wonder if the Belfast serious crimes unit watch this ?
    Nah, they're all watching The Missing, and taking the piss out of the French police!

And despite what this would lead you to think, Belfast is a relatively small coummunity- that lesbian kiss will be news from Malone to Cultra by tomorrow moring. What will Archie's husband say?
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think he was referred. He just turned up at the hospital and claimed to have been.

He had a letter from Alice Munroe trust asking him to counsel Annie
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    He had a letter from Alice Munroe trust asking him to counsel Annie

Ah OK - I missed that.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He left his job in the first series. He got that woman we first saw him counselling in episode 1 to call the police on her husband for domestic violence. Spector's boss found out and laid into Spector for going beyond his counselling remit. They had an argument and Spector resigned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    He left his job in the first series. He got that woman we first saw him counselling in episode 1 to call the police on her husband for domestic violence. Spector's boss found out and laid into Spector for going beyond his counselling remit. They had an argument and Spector resigned.

Which begs the question, where did the Alice Munroe Trust get his details and wouldn't anyone counselling her have to be vetted carefully?
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which begs the question, where did the Alice Munroe Trust get his details and wouldn't anyone counselling her have to be vetted carefully?

Maybe he forged the letter. It wouldn't be the worst thing he's done.
  • Options
    bookclub10bookclub10 Posts: 4,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this on RTE on Sunday night and was so disappointed with it. What a great first series which focused on Spector's double life, Stella leading the police investigation and Belfast as one of the most important characters.
    This episode really has stretched the lines of credibility. Belfast is not a big place- a serial killer running around without a care in the world, having dinner in restaurants, breaking into a detective's room in a 5 star hotel, presumably with plenty of access to cash, holding a hostage, turning off the lights of his car and retreating from the crime scene, counselling the victim in hospital though he had been disciplined at work and then resigned- all this while the police have released an e-fit to the media, have his name, identity and voice.
    That scene in the hotel seemed to be there just to give Archie Panjabi a 'talking point' scene- how many ways are there to get rid of an unwanted man hitting on you in a hotel without the lead investigator, whose private life has already been splashed on the front page, coming to kiss you?
    Stella was convinced that Katie was lying for him but didn't have her tailed at all, due to cutbacks presumably, yet is staying in a 5 star hotel?!
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They got a finger print from the scissors matched to his from when he contacted Police voluntarily.

Ah, yes, I remember now. Thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

IIRC, he got the letter before all that happened. He just chose not to follow up on it in the first series while he was dealing with the aftermath of the Kay murder and Annie's attempted murder.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    Nah, they're all watching The Missing, and taking the piss out of the French police!

And despite what this would lead you to think, Belfast is a relatively small coummunity- that lesbian kiss will be news from Malone to Cultra by tomorrow moring. What will Archie's husband say?

A small community yet they can't find a serial killer everyone is supposedly looking for.
    Good job they're not in London. They'd still be looking for him in 5 years time.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Oh well. It's all gone a bit silly hasn't it. Spector getting access to Stella's room so easily, Cantona turning up out of the blue and making a pass at her, the frankly risible pseudo-lesbian stuff that's been shoe-horned in, Katie breaking into the house and taking photos of herself, that woman leaving a car outside with a baby in it holding the car keys, the police 'finding' the tyre treads in the mud, Spector turning up at the scene in his stolen car, turning off the headlights, and Stella just standing there, Spector walking into a restaurant, looking exactly like his Photofit and no-one batting an eyelid, etc. etc. etc. It's all depends on too many far-fetched conveniences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In response to the criticisms about the show's realism and in particular about Belfast being a small community.

For me as a viewer, the realism is not such a big deal in this case (while I can be quite picky and critical of a drama's realism, I don't expect absolute accuracy. I only need enough to make me believe in the setting and the story being told. For instance, I loathe coincidences in any show particularly if they come from nowhere and are just plumped there w/o explanation or reason); I'm more a keen watcher of the unravelling psychology of the drama and its characters (Stella, Spector and Katie). Also if Belfast is that such of a small community where your next neighbour can soonest hear you fart as smell them (I have never visited), then I'm of the mind that for realism's sake not many murder dramas could be set in that place, if accuracy is of primary importance. It will over the minute the perp killed the person (unless it was set in real time).

So while I understand the valid criticism from some posters, the realism probably had to take second place in the drama to its psychological themes. That said I can also understand why the show ought to have concluded in the first series using Belfast's small community mindset as its background. But again this wouldn't solve the show's central premise: how would a series spanning just 5 episode address Spector's psychological machinations in a way that would satisfy the viewer? We can be quite a picky critical bunch, us viewers:D
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Are you both trying to figure out the screwed up psychological workings of a homonal schoolgirl with a crush a married family man-cum-serial killer more than 12 years her senior? Good luck:D

Nearly 20 years! He's 35.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Katie will design more t-shirts? She seems to be in her element at the moment.

Stella's hotel room is huge. Paul could have hidden out for days in there.

No sign of the shifty hotel manager.
  • Options
    Hackney1Hackney1 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how/when did he get out of Stella's hotel room? wasn't he in the wardrobe the whole time Cantana was there?
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    I'm still gripped by The Fall, with the last few minutes of the episode being some of the most tense television I've seen in a good while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hackney1 wrote: »
    how/when did he get out of Stella's hotel room? wasn't he in the wardrobe the whole time Cantana was there?

I presumed he was hiding in the wardrobe when Cantana entered the room. When Stella took him into the bathroom to clean him up, Spector was able to sneak out of the room.
  • Options
    Hackney1Hackney1 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ah yes, that would make sense! I think I was expecting to hear a door close behind him when he left and that Stella would hear that too and realise someone had been in the room ... also, why did her seeing that image on her PC make her jump up and get her gun - why did seeing that lead her to believe that there was someone in the room?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hackney1 wrote: »
    ah yes, that would make sense! I think I was expecting to hear a door close behind him when he left and that Stella would hear that too and realise someone had been in the room ... also, why did her seeing that image on her PC make her jump up and get her gun - why did seeing that lead her to believe that there was someone in the room?

The wallpaper on her laptop had been changed from what it was before. We saw her use the laptop just before she went to the bar, so she knew that someone else had used it in the time she was away.
This discussion has been closed.